Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  The painter is coming next Monday! Uh oh!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The painter is coming next Monday! Uh oh! Sign In/Join 
Picture of crayon
posted
I'm sure you are all tired of this project of mine, but my painter had a cancellation and wants to paint on Monday.

I know I cannot live with that Virtual Taupe now that I've seen the mockups. It's too dark for me, so I started looking at the two lighter colors as Paintlady suggested. I was thinking either of these two would probably be nice. I found some artwork online that I would totally love to look at in my home and put it together with my sectional. Then I looked closer at my pillows and dining room upholstery and hit a roadblock. The pillows have taupe, warm yellow or gold, and ivory colors in them, and the chair upholstery is a warm yellow/gold and ivory. I don't see them going with the taupe wall color at all. Now I'm thinking maybe something on the walls with more of a yellow or green undertone ? would be a better choice. Or possibly keep the pillows, add more colors like rust and replace the upholstery on the chairs. Not sure about the silk drapes yet.

I know I don't have time to get a big education in color in a few days, but I thought if I could narrow it down before I run to Sherwin Williams for a few sample jars, I could feel more optimistic about my choices. What do you all think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crayon,

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
This is a little bigger pic of my pillows and upholstery.

posted Hide Post
All I want to say right now is that I have a total admiration of your photo combining skills! I will have to give the situation more thought...as will others I'm sure. (Oh, and I for one am not tired of your project; I'm just tired in general right now-lol)

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Crayon, please don't overthink this wall color issue. You are looking for a coordinating and complimentary wall color. You aren't looking for an exact match to every item. So get some sample colors to go tomorrow. Start painting some sample boards and place them on the wall, not directly against any of the décor items. You will not be having paint directly against the cushions etc. The sofa is the largest item of color that you wish to coordinate with. Computer monitors are not accurate so it's not a good idea for us to tell you to go with one particular color or another. You will make the right decision because you see it in person. Now it's time for you to sample it in your space. The Accessible Beige and Balanced Beige appear to coordinate and compliment well on the computer screen. Test it in person to see if it does. Trust your judgment. One thing I might mention is that all the space could be one color and you could select a complimenting color for the dining area if you have a good cut off point on the walls. That is just a suggestion but not a must do. I look so forward to seeing your space painted and how it all turns out.

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I think I may have just answered my own question. I put the sofa pillows on the chairs and the colors all look great together, at least in this lighting tonight. So if the pillows go with the sofa, and the Virtual Taupe is very close to the color of the sofa, then I would imagine the pillows and upholstery will also go with either the Balanced Beige or the Accessible Beige, right? Or am I missing something?

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Get a sample of those two colors tomorrow and try them out and view at different times of the day. That should give you your answer. Personally from what I see, either color would look good if monitors are at all accurate. It just depends on depth of color you want in your space and amount of natural light you have filtering in. Good luck and Please share the end product with us. It will be a great color study and inspiration for this board.

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, thank you. I'm trying to get this right. And I'm not sure all the time in the world would make that much difference.

Paintlady, I hear what you are saying. My painter appears to have been wanting to match the color pretty much in his color choice. Not sure, but I know he knows color. However, I can now understand how different people have different comfort levels when it comes to paint colors. He tends to like dark colors, and I find it safer to go with lighter colors, or at least medium. I saw someone's home the other day that he painted, and it was gorgeous but I couldn't see the living room very well because it was so dark.

I know monitors aren't accurate, so I guess you are right in that I have to get the samples and see how they look in my home. I may use a complimentary color in the dining area.

Thanks for your great advice!

posted Hide Post
Let me just add that this is NOT something I would rush...so the painter's free Monday and he wants to work you in for his own convenience; that doesn't mean you have to cater to his schedule...it's YOUR house and YOUR money. Take all the time in the world you need to be sure (or as sure you can be). I also personally wouldn't put too much stock in his color opinion.

I think you have a good eye and are headed in the right direction; I just wouldn't like to see you rush into something without the time you need.

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Crayon,

Paint selection is a process for sure. You are correct that your tolerance level should be carefully considered. You are doing a great job processing the different choices that are available.

You can do a google search for your colors and get an idea of how they look in rooms. It's not the same but just an idea. Simply put "images of" in your search window and the corresponding color. Remember that paint will magnify when up on the wall. They can be quite different when viewed on larger areas over paint swatches.

Good luck on your paint journey!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone here. When you get the samples, make sure you attach them to a white board. Don't put on them on your existing wall color. It won't look the same against your existing color.

Also, how on earth did you do that photo grouping????? I'm trying to do my dining room over now (that you've inspired me Smile and I want to put everything together like that before I go and buy anything.

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from taupe walls to a dark khaki color which I love. The reason I am commenting is this: Taupe, according to the SW guy who helped me, has red undertones which may not go well with the green undertones you mention wanting. The red undertones became very apparent to me when I started taping up paint samples to my taupe walls. Plus, it took several coats of paint to cover the taupe which I assume was because of the red undertones.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, I won't have the painter come over on Monday if I'm not ready. I agree with you that I have to make sure I'm ready, but I think I can be and am the type of person who needs a little bit of a push when it comes to decorating decisions anyway. That's why my house is never done. I can't make a decision, so I find it safer to make no decision.

Beau's Rose, thanks for mentioning how to find images of rooms with different paint colors. That does really help, but, as you said, the monitor can look totally different.

WWanda, I picked up some white boards and have begun painting on them, so we will see how they look soon.

As far as the photo grouping is concerned, I just use Paint and copy and paste everything into that. You probably have the program on your computer. If I find something I like, I can copy and paste it into Paint and then move it around and crop it if necessary. Sometimes if I find a picture out there on a website, I may have to hit the Print Screen button on my keyboard and then crop it in Paint after that. Have you used Paint before? It's really pretty easy to use.

sms29, I really didn't/don't know what I want, but I just knew the Taupe was too dark. I also wanted something that didn't exactly match the sofa but complimented the mustard yellow/gold in my pillows and chairs. The colors I chose may be too dark too, but we will see.

When I went to Sherwin Williams, I had a cover from one of my pillows. I had a very knowledgeable and nice lady help me, and she came up with color choices that I had in my head to some degree, but she helped me immensely. The Balanced Beige and Accessible Beige were not exactly it when I put them next to my pillow cover. They were okay, but they didn't wow me like the others did that I got. They are Studio Taupe 7549 for foyer and living area (possibly dining area), or Resort Tan 7550 for the dining area, Windsor Greige 7528 or Khaki Shade 7533 for hallway going upstairs. I was going to post a pic of them from the internet, but they didn't even show the Studio Taupe accurately, so you may know what they look like. Once I get the paint boards posted to the walls, I will see how they look and will post them probably in the next day or two.

By the way, I showed the lady a picture of my columns/pillars/posts, and she thinks I should paint them the same color as the walls. Smile

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Upon painting these boards, I'm reminded of the dining room I once painted. Some of the colors were looking like baby poop, which is what I hope these won't look like. Frown

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I painted the boards today and will see how they look tomorrow. However, I can already see that Resort Tan will probably be too dark even for the dining area and definitely too dark for the foyer. It also looks to have a lot of green undertones. The Studio Taupe is a nice color and so is Windsor Greige. I'm just now wondering if I made a mistake in not getting the other two colors today, being the Balanced Beige and Accessible Beige. I thought they might look a little blah compared to these since these brought out the gold in the pillows. However, I don't know that these I got today look as good with the sofa itself. Tomorrow I will start looking at them all in the light and also probably run over the SW and get those other two colors.

Here is what all the colors look like on the monitor which doesn't tell us everything, I know.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Again, here are the other colors we started with, Virtual Taupe being too dark.

Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
I have kilim beige in my house so I know what you have currently. I like Windsor Greige or Balanced Beige, or Acc. Beige for your room

Posts: 4293 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I found that when I painted the colors from the "Accessible beige" strip on my walls, they have a significant green undertone. My poor stair wall is STILL about 7 different big paint swatches, none of which are right.

The light in your home has more to do with color than anything you spread on the walls..IMO

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Well I'm headed back to the paint store. You are so right that the lighting has everything to do with it. Should have listened to the color experts and not based it on what I saw in the store under fluorescent lights.

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I also have Kilim Beige in our house. I think you really have to be careful when choosing beige's or taupe's b/c they they can run in three different directions... they can have undertones of pink, yellow, and green. Although I like my Kilim Beige, many times my eye sees pink, and I don't like that, but everyone's home has different lighting.

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I have the Balanced Beige in my powder room.....I absolutely LOVE it. It is the perfect color, every time I look at it I am only sorry I didn't paint my whole house that color. It will look great, I promise!

Posts: 1673 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Spanish Revival, Kilim Beige is a great color in my home. The builder chose it an ut it in every room, and we have been very happy with it.

just josie, it's good to hear about your experience with Balanced Beige. Have you ever posted a picture of it? I would love to see it.

The weather hasn't been cooperating the past two days, so I haven't been able to get a good look at the colors on my walls when it's sunny. It's supposed to clear up tomorrow afternoon, and I'll post pics then. However, the Balanced Beige and Accessible Beige are looking really good. I'm now thinking about using one of these two colors in the foyer, living, and one wall going to the kitchen, possibly the hall going upstairs and the powder room. I would really like to add a darker color on the walls of the dining area above the wainscoting if it will look good.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Here's a few pictures I took before it got too dark in the home. It was somewhat sunny outside, but not as sunny as it usually gets. I assume the color I choose will look a lot different than the Kilim Beige that it looks to me now. And I hope I like it as well as the Kilim Beige.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
This is not a very good picture, but hopefully you get an idea what the colors look like between two of the windows.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I haven't given up on the other two colors on the strip: Virtual Taupe and Tony Taupe. Yes, they are darker, maybe too dark, but they look good in some pictures I've seen where rooms have been painted with them.

It's nighttime, so this is how they look right now.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow I will see how they all look again.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I will post some pictures of rooms I found painted in these colors on another thread to give you a better idea of what it may look like. I like Tony Taupe.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Here are the walls of my dining area, so you can see what walls I would probably need to paint if I am going to go with a darker color just in that area. I'm not sure that it will work very well to do this in my case. It may look better to stick to one color throughout the foyer, living and dining areas. Opinions please?

When I walk up the stairs, I am basically in between the living and dining areas.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I am loving this space painted in SW Virtual Taupe!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...?sid=ST2009041501780

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Love that Taupe too.

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post