Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Paintig kitchen cabinets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paintig kitchen cabinets Sign In/Join 
posted
Here's the vintage kitchen! Do I dare paint the cabinets?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As quick as you can!!!! Welcome to the boards.

Posts: 3411 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought is "Absolutely"! I did look at your other posts, and I'm not sure exactly how much "vintage" vibe you are trying to keep, but if it were me, I would remove the scallops and paint it, at the least.

ETA: I was posting at the same time as sms, but yes, that's what I meant Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'd paint the cabinets right away.
It depends on how you deal with the paneling in the next room. While I HATE open floor plans, the stove is already exposed and unless there is a vent over the stove that needs to be dealt with, I'd remove the top cabinet. Besides opening up the space those vintage scallops which might be removed without leaving a big unstained areas should you choose not to paint are not hanging down making them more obvious.
While I love your new house and ask great questions, you'll need to prioritize what rooms are the most important to make your family the most comfortable. Unless you're up for a gazillion projects or living somewhere else, or have ** for someone to come in a do it all, take a breath, it will work out. IMHO, white cabinets are a PITA to keep clean, I'd rather you add some inexpensive peel and stick to the floor (right over that green) to brighten up the kitchen. I miss my wood cabinets.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the welcome SMS!
Nitalynn...I don't care for those scallops either.
Jaysmom....yes there is ducting up there. I don't mind painted cabinets. In fact I've painted the ones in my current home and the new owners love them...lol...they do look pretty good if I do say so myself!
But these cabinets are not as nice as those were.
Would you keep the hardware? I've seen cabinets painted a tan and then glazed and had coppery looking hardware added. It was quite pretty. Do I have to take account of the den area wall color (when I paint the paneling)?

posted Hide Post
Didn't even notice the handles. Now that I have, as much as I love vintage and retro, I don't like the angle they're set on. If you choose to paint, I'd make sure I'd fill the holes so you have options.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think that your new home has great potential. New paint, flooring, light fixtures, etc. can do so much ! Please keep posting your before and after photos!

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add....I think that I would not paint the cabinets until everything else around them is painted. Are you keeping the white countertops? That might determine whether or not the cabinets should be white.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jaysmom..I don't like those handles either...lol
Grapefruit...we move in next month so I will be posting pictures!

Just wanted to get an idea on where I should go with this house. We may only live here a year or 5 years. We would like to do something for resale value. Nothing major but put our touch on it.

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Wow, after viewing all your pictures, I see there are some great projects ahead for you.

I've painted my kitchen cabinets in the past and I never regretted it. I've also painted my paneling. Doing that in both rooms would brighten up those spaces immensely.
I had that linoleum in my old house in the browns and coppers and I will say it may not be the prettiest but it wore well!
I like the color of yours from the picture. I think going with creamy white cabinets,removing the scalloping, adding new hardware and playing off that green would look so fresh.

Check out this gals blog, she and her husband are now renovating a cute little home and she uses green and white thoughout her house. Look at her previous home (it was stunning after the reno) and her darling beach home she had in Calif.
http://tuesdayswithdorie.blogspot.com/

Good luck and keep sharing your pictures!

Posts: 2828 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
First question is, how good are your painting skills? Second question, how much patience do you have?

I'd recommend working on the paneling project before considering painting the cabinets. If you decide you want to paint them, they need to be handled in a manner similar to the prepping your paneling-clean, prime with oil product (for this project I'd recommend the Zinsser Cover Stain as it is a bonding primer), and paint the cabinets in an alkyd (oil) based paint. Many people are using latex on cabinets these days, but the oil products always out-perform latex products in this application. They will clean like a dream and won't stick on humid days. If you've never used oil based products, they are different to use than latex and some people find them difficult. In that case, I'd have a professional do them.

With that said, with the exception of this house, I've painted the cabinets in every place I've ever lived. They were all dated houses, so I'll post some before and after pics. In truth, your new place reminds me so much of my favorite house (built in the early 70). The kitchen was just like yours. I loved the place.

Give me a minute. I thought I had some pics scanned, but I guess not. They were taken before digital, so I'll have to go look for them.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christie, so glad to see you posting. If anyone is an inspiration to a newbie-it's you!
Someone (?) on this board did a whole thing on doing their kitchen with Benjamin Moore Advance.
It's an oil base with water clean-up. Has great reviews.
You're right about using oil. I have BM oil-based all throughout my house except for the back bathroom and sun room. I wimped out on them and used latex because everyone said "it's just as good and SO much easier." Everyone was WRONG. While I haven't gotten around to re-painting those rooms there is a huge difference on how the paint has held up and it's appearance after all these years.
So it's back to oil for me.
Looking forward to your pictures again. I'm sure most of your posts have gone by now.
Nene2z2b-keep an eye out for "Bella" posts-they are both wonderful and inspirational.

Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
I painted my kitchen cabinets in another house. They were similar in color to yours. Two coast of primer, two coats of your chosen white. I looked and looked for knobs and hinges but couldn't find any I liked better than what I had so I lightly sanded them and sprayed them with a good spray paint. Couldn't tell they were the old ones.

If you do do that, I would hang then straight up and down, not on the very sixties angle.

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7664 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
annie.....I adore that blog...thanks for telling me about it!
Bella....I ain't too shabby with a paint brush. With latex not oils though. Did paint my current cabs 6 years ago and they have held up beautifully! I will be waiting on pics!
Catie...Yes ma'am I believe I will put the new knobs/handles on up and down.
Jaysmom...an oil based that cleans up with water? Interesting!

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Ok, found some pics. Can't find the other house, but it was much the same-unrecognizable when finished. I got new countertops, appliances, and floors replaced in that house though. This house, I kept the avocado oven cause it worked and the sink was cast iron and I didn't mind the color. Kind of worked with the color scheme I had in mind, so I just went with it.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Different view

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Fridge. Man I miss those big drawers below the oven!

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
The eat-in area. This really relates more to your other post about painting paneling. This whole house was paneled. I hung liner paper across the paneling then painted or wallpapered (yeah, I'm a wallpaper girl). It helped eliminated the inevitable stripes.

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
This one relates more to your other post too. It's also where I learned about properly priming. Even though I used a textured wallpaper for paneling, it still needed to be primed which I didn't know until later due to failure to read instructions. Roll Eyes Anyway, it started to come off the wall a little in some places. I was fixing to replace it anyways, but I learned a lesson about priming.

I've used the waterborne alkyd just to see what I thought about it. Took as long to dry as oil and you had to keep an eye out for runs as it was more prone to run than oil or latex. It's on my front door here and while it's ok, I prefer the real thing so someday when I get other things finished, I'll paint that out in oil. The only positive thing it really offered was easy clean up of the brush. I wasn't impressed with it for my own use, but it's an option. It also wasn't Benjamin Moore brand, so there may be some difference. BM makes some nice paints.

P.S. Please keep in mind these pics were taken at the turn of the century!

Christie

posted Hide Post
Bella....thanks so much for the pictures, love them! I believe the house we are getting has those drawers below the oven...yay! The cabinets look really nice painted. I've been reading a lot about different paints and seems Benjamin Moore paints is highly recommended.

Thank you!

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Nene, we have had our wood cabinets professionally painted in all three of my homes over the past decade. We don't have the skill or the will for a DIY job.

In our experience, oil based paint is wonderful, but lately the new and improved 100 percent acrylic paints are what most of the professional painters in my area swear by.

We just had our cabinets painted with Pittsburgh Paint's Manor Hall for interiors in a pearl finish, not semi-gloss. (I wanted a more subtle look.)

My painter insists on this paint because of how well it hides, how well it flows and how well it dries -- it has a rock-hard finish. Plus, 100 percent acrylics have fewer VOC's than oil. (But, I gotta tell you the primer is VERY STINKY.)

The key, as always is the prep. Our wood cabinets were cleaned, sanded and primed, then sanded again. (Do not use ammonia based cleaners if you are using acrylics. It interferes with the paint.) Doors were removed and spray painted front and back. The cabinet boxes were painted by hand.

The end result was spectacular. I love the look of sprayed finishes; they are smooth and blemish free with no brush marks, obviously!

Ask around your friendly paint store for advice on the best primers and paint for your job.

And, good luck with your awesome retro-cool house.

Posts: 5287 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post