Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Saturday...UPDATE W/ NEW LAMP...THOUGHTS PLZ. Candle holder I had been pining for :-)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saturday...UPDATE W/ NEW LAMP...THOUGHTS PLZ. Candle holder I had been pining for :-) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
I had seen this at Burlington Coat Factory when I was looking for stuff of DD's room.

After looking about 5 times...having to go back to measure to make sure it wasn't TOO tall to go with my LAMP...I finally got it.

BUT I got my foot stuck on the lamp cord and now broke my lamp...UGH.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9691 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was supposed to go with this lamp (old picture) I have a mirror up now.

The shade was spared, but the base broke and not repairable.

Posts: 9691 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wal Mart has this lamp similar to the one I broke but it's a little shorter...

posted Hide Post
mine from kirklands

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Oh that's a shame. I really liked that lamp you had bought. I take it Kirklands doesn't carry it anymore?
The walmart one is cute, but not like the broken one. Is that one shorter too?
And that candle holder is adorable. Wish I had a Burlington in town.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4774 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sophie. Kirklands does still carry it. Actually I just looked on the website and it's on sale for $39.99. So I guess I better go get it before it goes off sale.

And here I was worried it would be one of the kids that would break it!!!

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh that's a shame! You only just acquired that Frown

I once lectured DH endlessly about the coffee carafe. Could not buy replacements in store, so I ordered one, opened it, told him NOT to touch, and OOPSIE!

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I hate when stuff like that happens!
I do love the candle holder. If you really like the lamp, I would snap it up at Kirklands.

Posts: 2829 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
If you're in love with the lamp, I would definitely order another asap!

Love the candleholder!

Martha

Posts: 6213 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and ordered the Wal Mart lamp-free ship to the store. I will also go to kirklands and see if they still have my lamp--got a 10% off coupon plus it's on sale right now. Or see if there is any other lamp I like better than the original Kirkland lamp.

Once the Wal Mart arrives I can see which I like better. I'm thinking the Wal Mart lamp might be too short but we'll see.

posted Hide Post
ugh...the Kirklands near me has closed...and the next Kirklands nearest me doesn't have that lamp available in the store..I wanted to use a 10% off coupon that's only good on in store purchases.

SOOO I have to cross my fingers the Wal Mart lamp on order works out or I have to pay for shipping on the Kirklands lamp :-(

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Oh that bites. I hope you like the Walmart lamp too, and it's not too short. But there are many lamps out there if that one doesn't work out.

Posts: 4774 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I received an email that my Wal Wart lamp arrived at the store. I'm so excited...I hope it's tall enough and I hope I can use the shade from my previous lamp that I broke with the new Wal Mart base. The Wal Mart lamp does not come with a shade.

I'll post pictures tonight when I get home.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see it Smile

Picture of wallis104
posted Hide Post
If the WalMart lamp is too short (& you really like it), have you considered sitting it on a stack of books? I've done that before & like the look. Adds a little dimension...

Love the new candleholder.... So sorry about your lamp. We've all done something similar but it's the pits when you allocate your money for something special and have to replace it.

Janice

Posts: 3110 | Location: Beautiful Chesapeake Bay, Md. | Registered: Dec 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallis104:
If the WalMart lamp is too short (& you really like it), have you considered sitting it on a stack of books? I've done that before & like the look. Adds a little dimension...

Love the new candleholder.... So sorry about your lamp. We've all done something similar but it's the pits when you allocate your money for something special and have to replace it.

Janice

That's a great suggestion to use books for height! If the covers aren't decorative you could use Brown paper wrap, fabric, old lace, etc. and dress it up.

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the Wal Mart lamp with the shade from MY PREVIOUS lamp...

A. The lamp base was BROKEN.

b. I think it's too short, but I would be
open to adding height as suggested.

Sorry these are not very good pictures.

I had the mirror hanging horizontal before. The two side frames don't have to be there...

So my choice is reorder this base and try to make it work, adding books for height etc.

Is the old shade making it look dumpy? I could get the shade that they have pictured with it...but if that's the case, moneywise, I may as well order my old lamp.

posted Hide Post
another picture, terrible lighting/exposure..sorry

Picture of wallis104
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a shade with some color? To me that's what seems to be missing.

How bout a photo without the side-frames? To me, there is too much competing & the details of each piece are lost....

Janice

Posts: 3110 | Location: Beautiful Chesapeake Bay, Md. | Registered: Dec 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would hang the mirror, take away the picture frames and see that it looks like. I agree, you need something colorful in the middle between the lamp and the candle. If I wanted to be critical of the lamp, I am thinking the shade is a little big...maybe try a bigger harp to push the shade up farther.....I am not fond of books under a lamp in your situation. Do you happen to have a tall thin buffet type lamp...see what that looks like since your candle holder is thinnish also.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is a "buffet" lamp usually taller and thinner than a "table" lamp?

This Kirklands blue vintage BUFFET lamp might be related to my previous Kirkland blue TABLE lamp...It's an inch taller but the shade is not as wide...9 inches wide vs 15 inches wide.

It may be worth taking the 40 minute trip up to my next closest Kirklands this weekend. They have a nice lamp selection.

Link just in case the picture is too small.

http://www.kirklands.com/produ...8/sc/2635/169255.uts

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

The original lamp (Kirklands) seems a better scale for the entry. The last one is shorter-clunky-not quite right imho. Plus it's too similar in height with the candle.

I like the tones of the floral picture frame with your hutch better than the black mirror. Do you have another wall space for the mirror and the two square galley pictures? They would make a nice wall display. Hallway perhaps?

Does your ceiling line slope or is it all one height? Can you post a pic of the full wall where you are doing the entry?

The candle holder looks like a fun piece to play with for your table. Don't forget, you can fill it with other things beside just the candle. Use one of Froo's decorating list for inspiration. Smile You might even try adding a round plate underneath it.

Good luck & have fun playing!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, a buffet lamp is taller and thinner than a regular table lamp. I was thinking in relation to your pretty candle holder, it might look good. I also agree that your original Kirkland lamp looked awfully good, however.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Testing pic

posted Hide Post
Ok I figured out how to attach pics taken from my iPhone using my iPhone...our PC is dead.

Anyhoo..I found this lamp at Marshall's...it maybe an inch to two at the mist taller than my original lamp. I hung up the mirror like I had it before. It's looking pretty sparse though...what do you think?

I too like my original Kirkland lAmp...I wanted something a little beefy but not like that wal mart one...I Missed out on 14% off yesterday at Kirklands...that would have at least off set some of the shipping...I HATE paying for shipping :-)

posted Hide Post
B-rose...in regards to the candle holder I was thinking the same thing about adding stuff inside to give it more presence..as for adding a plate on the bottom, do you mean just set the candle holder on a plate and leave it or with a plate and decorative items on the plate?

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Here is your picture rotated for others.

You could do either option with the round plate. It will echo the round bottom of the holder.

You could use a tray and add a few things too.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I've not been up on all your decision making. However, I prefer the look of a chunkier base lamp. I feel the furniture piece which appears heavy itself requires a lamp with more substance than the tall thin one you currently have. I also think this current lamp is just too tall. I'd also like to see your mirror hung the opposite way. Then a chunkier lamp would look better. The span from the base of the mirror to the top of the chest should measure approximately 6" I think. Your mirror appears too high. The candleholder isn't prominent enough, and it lacks color and interest. Something heavier and weightier and more colorful should be used.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paintlady,

Posts: 9012 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Don't forget you can use some candle wax under the candle holder. Prevents accidental tipping if bumped.

I like your direction for the entry table and would now add a couple of layers to the display. Keep the lamp of the left and the candle on the right. It follows the lines of your ceiling and doesn't compete with it.

Seems like you should have something round on the table. Perhaps a colorful bowl, tray, or basket. Mix up the shapes and textures to add interest. Make sure it is large enough to count and doesn't get lost in the scene. Lots of options.

Is the table centered with the sofa? Or can it be moved over a little away from the front door?

Just some thoughts for you but most of all have fun and play!

pic

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
If you decide to go with the skinnier lamp, how about snuggling the candle holder closer to the lamp to give it the bulk you need and then table scape the empty area with a large box, basket, plant, picture frames etc.

From the picture I think maybe the mirror could be moved down a bit or can you hang it the other direction like paintlady said. I kind of liked it just resting on the table....but that may not be safe....

Posts: 2829 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annielinz:
If you decide to go with the skinnier lamp, how about snuggling the candle holder closer to the lamp to give it the bulk you need and then table scape the empty area with a large box, basket, plant, picture frames etc.

From the picture I think maybe the mirror could be moved down a bit or can you hang it the other direction like paintlady said. I kind of liked it just resting on the table....but that may not be safe....

I ditto these ideas of Annie's.

Picture of wallis104
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annielinz:

I also "ditto" annie, lilsophie & rita's (paintlady) thoughts.....

How bout trying the grouping the lamp & candleholder on the left. Mirror should be lower - you could also try putting it vertical - but off to the right side to balance the higher pieces on the left.

A candle of color or some type of stones in there to add color would IMHO also look better. Needs some color !!!

janice

posted Hide Post
I agree on the a chunkier lamp. I will try the suggestion of grouping the lamp and candle together and playimg with mirror placement before returning that buffet lamp.

To answer your question b-rose, the dresser is not really centered to anything particular, it's as centered as close as it csn be on that back wall but still allowing the door to open. If I pull it away more from the door side it will be too off centered.

posted Hide Post
I like your buffet lamp and candle holder. I would like to see the mirror hung vertically and a colorful bowl for keys, or even a square box in the center. Then post another picture. It looks nice, simple and tidy.

love life

posted Hide Post
I did lower the mirror horizontally and it looks better. The mirror wire was put on originally to hang the mirror horizontally so to use it vertically I'd have to lean it which doesn't bother me or I'd have to add a hanger in order to mount it vertically.

Overall I don't like the thin buffet lamp style so im not going to waste me energy trying to make it work. I did move the candleholder next to the lamp but it just didn't make sense or look good to me.

I definitely want my old lamp or one close in size/thickness. I like the idea of something in between the lamp and the candle holder. That area is NOT our entry, it's more for looks and the lamp for LR lighting but I agree it could use some color or bulk in the middle area.

posted Hide Post
What about a wooden lamp to the left and the right of the mirror ? - i have seen several options with wood veneer on http://lighting55.com and ylighting.com - However i will also checkout my local retail store.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post