Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  APRIL Spring looking ahead
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

APRIL Spring looking ahead Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
Links to other threads: My monthly POSITIVE posting series for 2013. I will post one each month of positive ways to inspire us, and in a very small way try to encourage positive posts and replies.

January 2013 12 things Happy people do differently
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...003947667#4003947667

February ART
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...753954767#8753954767

March Atta girl post:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...463901967#3463901967

April Spring rebirth and thinking ahead

This month's positive thread about SPRING and rebirth

SPRING:
Our yard is showing signs of lots of new growth. Here is Central Florida (near the Atlantic coast) we have plants that stay green through the winter and even harvest edibles and herbs from our garden.

We have been trying to plant something with color in each season so that we get something fresh with color 4 times a year.

In my herb garden my Dill has survived the winter and is bolting! It looks like a small tree! We have buds on all the fruit trees and we have baby tomatoes, squash and other plants doing well in our garden.

We are looking ahead with planning and planting more garden area on our West side of the house.

Landscaping. We continually move and get new plants to create less mowing and add more color through colorful foliage as opposed to flowers in the front yard.

REBIRTH:
Spring is a good time to review what we have in the house and do Spring cleaning as it was once called. My relatives (in Nova Scotia) were notorious for totally redoing finishes and cleaning up repairs in the Spring. I saw them starting at cleaning the ceiling and I knew the work had begun. I 'used to' even pull out the fridge and stove in my cleaning efforts. I look for what needs repair and target those areas for the maintenance schedule. DH fears this list! LOL

We do not need to wash the ceilings as my relatives did (glossy ceiling paint) because we lived near the coast and used wood burning as our heat source so a lot of soot can gather with that lifestyle. That wood burning stove needed maintenance and 'seasoning' to keep rust at bay (a job you cannot do in the winter or cold months when you can't let the stove get cold).

All that work in the Spring made the summer days that much more relaxing to enjoy the weather and swimming at the lake. Clam bakes at the beach were also something to look forward to. My aunts would gather the clams at low tide. Nova Scotia has 55 foot tides which means in some areas the water goes out at low tide to almost 1/2 a mile in some areas, so you walk through slushy sand and gather clams. And the fire would be going on the shore... with a huge pot ready for the clams brought back. Another pot for boiling the corn on the cob. I can still smell the scents of those clam bakes with a small group of family and friends, and cuddling up to my aunt when the cool wind came off the water.

I think of NEW experiences coming up this year, things I want to accomplish and also remembering and honoring my past.

What is going on with you this Spring with the warmer season ahead... Trips, events, projects, yard?

Photo of our coastline near home facing S and the other facing N (bottom photo) on the lower East side of Nova Scotia.

second photo is in nearby village with tide out, notice how there is no water and the dock is there for when the tide comes back in and the boats are floating again.

CP cosatline S direction photo Churchpointbeach_zps62f67b1f.png

BoF low tide photo lowtidebayoffundy2_zpscea4c810.png

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

shoreline NS

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Nice to live near the beach Smile I'm about 10 minutes away too.

I'm looking forward to Spring finally showing up here. It's supposed to be 50 today! This weekend will include cleaning out the gardening beds and raking out the mulch. Things are starting to show up even under the small patches of snow that we still have on the ground. I will restrain myself from going to the gardening center though. I always go to early. Doing some Spring cleaning will also be on the list.

Getting the boat ready and revving up the Harley are on DH's list. No more indoor projects until the Fall for me.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Wanda,
You are on a real Spring forward mode! And I just picture your DH getting excited about the boat and Harley! All out of doors for you coming up! Smile We are 10-15 min away too, so we don't get as much sand and salt damage as those who live on the beach.

Our beach here in Central Florida.
YES I have lived near the coast all my life except for 2 yrs inland in NC. I felt land-locked and claustrophobic and had to get back to the coastline.

We have been having temps in the high 70's with near perfect days. I have spent time out of doors and having all the windows open in the house. This is a good time for us before the summer heat sets in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

M beach

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth,

Thanks for an inspirational posting. I have always loved Spring time and all the new beginnings.

Love your pics. Is that the Bay of Fundy? It's one of my places to visit someday.

We are planning a new garden bed along the back fence and almost ready to purchase the plants. The lawn guys will help this time with installation of everything. I am also working on a new color scheme for the exterior of our house. The colors will be changed to a FL tropical mix for a refreshed look. It's already in the 80's here so work must begin soon to avoid the summer heat.

Happy Spring!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose,
Yes the Bay of Fundy! My mind is in home at this time because I lost an aunt last week and two more gravely ill. The family is dwindling in that area, sad. And the young have moved to Alberta to work. There aren't too many places that don't change when you leave and try to go 'home' again.

Getting to the East Coast of Nova Scotia, on the Bay of Fundy shore is getting harder to do, they stopped the CAT boat and small planes to Yarmouth so it is a long day to get to where I am from now. I have to go to Halifax to that airport and drive across the Province. It would be longer (3 1/2 hrs) than arriving in Fort Lauderdale to get to Naples Florida!

DH has to get a fence up on the West side of the house and then build a couple of raised beds, if he doesn't start soon, then he will have to wait till Fall to do this project.
He can do some serious veggie planting there since the raised beds we have now are designated for tomatoes and other small plants. We don't want the visible part of our yard to look like a veggie garden since we have a common area in the back where a few of our neighbors walk.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for color for your house. I want to repaint ours in a pale gray or taupe since the roof is that dark mauve (like the darkest color on a brick). WHY do they put DARK roofs on Florida houses? Absorbs heat too... DUH! LOL
Our neighbors have white, yellow and yellow green used... I don't want a bright white house so that is why I wanted the color toned down a bit, the front is facing the South side.

Happy Spring!

Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
MaryRuth your pictures are just gorgeous!

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7638 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth- Thanks for posting this! I was waiting to see what you would do this month.I love the pictures. I have a vacation to Orlando planned with the kids. I would like to drive to the beach one of the days we are there.
What do you do with all the dill?

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures, Mary Ruth. I live in a temperate zone, so my life doesn't change much from season to season, except for my decor. All the bunnies were stored away this week and a few birdie items have been added. Last week, I changed out all of the bedding to the summer weight and patterned versions, switched the throw pillows on the sofa, changed out towels to white and switched china colors from red to aqua.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Cathy,
Hi! So happy to see you! (read you!!!) LOL
I took the photos except for the boat one, I have some somewhere but they are not scanned into the computer yet. Someday I will get to that task.

oojeanie,
Oh I hope you have a GREAT time in Orlando! You will have to drive East to get to a good beach, driving West (not sure of routes) might be longer.

The beaches in (where I was born) Nova Scotia AND where I live in Central East Coast Florida are not tourist spots, so it is GREAT to go to the beach and there is always space to enjoy it! I hope you ENJOY your time in Florida!

Gracie,
How wonderful to have temperate weather. So, each season, one being Spring does have a change for you in your decor! I just finished one week of moving things around, including sheets etc. We keep T-Shirt-like material on the bed (sometimes a flannel bottom sheet) on the bed through December through February (our winter) and now the regular sheets get used. (Our summer weight ones). I just put away our socks! LOL
Like the china idea of changing from red to Aqua! sounds good, you got a pic of your aqua setting? Smile

posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, I treated myself to the Lenox Chirp pattern about three years ago. It's available in both red and aqua, so I use one version during fall/winter and the other during spring/summer. I only have to change out the dinner plates and bread/butter plates as the other pieces go with both colors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
MR, love the post and the pics.

Graciepj, the dishes are gorgeous. I must show these to dd, she is now remodeling her kitchen and using these colors and needs new dishes.

Spring in KY, well ok, technically it might be spring on the calendar, but the temps belie that. I just read where it is 15-10 degrees below normal for April here. Brr. The daffodils and crocus and hyacinth have come and gone in my yard. But the tulips have yet to bloom.

Our plans other than the usual spring cleaning of the inside of the house will be working outside.

New gutters, the rest of the shutters put up, the driveway seal-coated, and a new garage door. Other than that we will plant a few new flowers as we always do, plant a few veggies (tomatoes, onions, and lettuce on our property and a few other things at dd's). That should keep us busy and out of trouble. LOL

Nice thread and so upbeat, love it!!

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In our area today we had a surprise snow shower with a little accumulation. Spring just delayed a bit.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6170 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Gracie,
I REMEMBER the dishes! I LOVE them! Those are beautiful! I love the aqua ones too. Would be so hard to choose just one, so I can see why you got them ALL!
Thanks so much for sharing, and reminding me that I can also enjoy 'eye' candy at the table too! Smile

CaraRose,
Aw sorry you are having cold weather! I think you have enough to keep you out of trouble! Thanks for the positive comments! Smile

Strings,
SNOW??? I'll bet that WAS a surprise! Well we are so close, nothing can stop SPRING! Sunshine and warmer weather ahead! I am not a fortune teller or can predict the future, but I'll bet Spring comes no matter what tantrums that the weather throws! LOL

Thanks everyone for the upbeat posts and I just get a warm feeling and smile while reading the posts and replies! Thank you!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
lol..i'd just like to be able to walk outside and not be cold! our spring family is returning...mr and mrs mallard duck have arrived, and i actually saw the tops of my tulips and dafs!

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, thank you for starting us off each month with an inspirational, thought provoking post. Your pictures are very beautiful.
After last spring, when every day was an emotional and physical struggle, this spring seems especially beautiful and refreshing!
We have put away the hats and gloves and are wearing our lighter coats. The clover is coming up in the deer fields and the snow in the woods is rapidly disappearing. The birds have returned and each morning we awaken to their cheerful melodies.
DH is deciding which section of our property he wants to spruce up this year. (Selective tree cutting, removal of fallen trees and scrub brush.) I will be on vacation in another week and hope to have good weather, so I can get out and "spring clean" our gardens and borders.
I just completed one big personal project, which was my Recertification packet, to renew my teaching certificate for another 5 years! Years 31-36, here I come!
We are embarking on a new and exciting family chapter, with the planning of our DD's October wedding! Today, we visit the Asticou Inn to determine if that will be the perfect venue.
Everyday is a blessing and a reason for celebration.

Maine Lady

Posts: 5722 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
lol..i'd just like to be able to walk outside and not be cold!

Amen to that sister! Today just might be warm enough here in NE Ohio to see my first daffodil? Fingers crossed.

Maine Lady -- what a nice post.

My goal this spring, if it ever gets, and stays, warm, is to stain the new back porch deck I had installed last year. Easy enough project but will take me forever to complete. Slow but steady will get the job done.

Other than that I just plan to watch and care for each plant in the garden to help bring them to their full potential. Last year I planted a new pink dogwood, Cleveland pear and two blueberry bushes so looking forward to their blooms and fruit. My avatar is a pic of an older pink dogwood in the yard. Just gorgeous to see for a few weeks each spring.

I could live year round with just the months of April/May and September/October. I would so be a happy camper!

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check out junk collector's Spring thread here: http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4079532/m/9683974967
with photos of SPRING yards!

sjf, Not long now!

Maine Lady,
Thank you! I remember last Spring was so hard for you! I am so happy for the blessings your family has had since! What a year!

Take it easy doing the yard work, don't forget to wear gloves and MASKS! Masks are something I never thought of while uprooting molds, mulch and yard debris. Learned my lesson... passing it on!

WOW years 31-36 Amazing!

ALL this AND a wedding! YES every day IS a blessing and reason for celebration! Smile Thanks for your wonderful post and sharing with us all the great Spring happenings, actually your whole year is just about planned till October! Smile

My Life Vacation,
Don't you just LOVE getting back to the garden? We are so happy to be able to be outside so much! OH my that dogwood bloom is amazing!

We love March to December here... well the bad hurricane years give us a few scares starting in May through Nov. I hope this will be a calmer year for all of us!

Thanks everyone for Posting! Smile

Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
Nice to read these and try to catch up with my old friends. Spring here was literal as my subfloor sprang a leak - watch for a posting soon, since of course I had to take the opportunity of pulling things apart to try to do some things ""while it was open"

So I'm in the midst of a spring project I did not anticipate but now am so excited to see through. I'm switching up my furniture in some ways (involving a certain amount of chalk paint and moving things to different rooms) that will help things feel very new. I'm getting new doors and windows in a place where the new floor had to be and since we were at it, might as well bring the new floor through the rest of the living space. Ouch to house account, but delightful when completed.

See my separate post as I ask for help and input. Brought me back here and for that I'm always grateful.

Thank you Mary Ruth for this lovely sequence - I recall reviewing the habits of happy people in January as a wonderful start to 2013. ML - I too am sure that 2013 will be better than 2012!

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LibraDesingEye,
YES so good to have informal posts where we 'catch up' and share greetings and stories!

I found this on Pinerest and thought of your 'ouch account' projects!

Your great attitude can turn a trying time into a learning experience and chance to make things better! Great positive attitude that is encouraging to the rest of us!

falling apart

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4079532/m/9213942967

Another great SPRING positive thread:
The seasons of decorating posted by Strings
check it out!

posted Hide Post
Thank you Mary Ruth.

We are having good spring weather for a few days, so getting into a spring fix up mood.

Spring cleaning should also be done!

Nice to have the windows open for some fresh air, too.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6170 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I hope EVERYONE is enjoying the SPRING weather! We have loved the climate here!