Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Junk collector, here's the promised pignoli cookie recipe!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Junk collector, here's the promised pignoli cookie recipe! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1-8oz. Almond paste
2egg whites (or less, depending on humidity), slightly beaten
Pignoli nuts

Sift sugars, flour and salt. Break up paste with wooden spoon (I pulse in my processor). Add egg whites and beat till fairly smooth. Stir in flour mixture. NOTE: Dough should be slightly sticky, but able to be handled (see above regarding amount of egg whites). Roll small balls of dough in a bowl of nuts to coat. Place 2" apart on lightly greased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper) and lightly press the cookies to flatten them a bit. Bake in a preheated oven at 300 degrees 20-25 minutes till lightly browned.

NOTE, I mix entire batter in my processor.
Though the nuts are pricey, don 't scrimp on them. Wink Enjoy!

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Froo! You are such a sweetie!

DH is going to love these!

Posts: 3281 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas! Smile

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ah...make that Buon Natale!

posted Hide Post
And a Feliz Navidad from the desert! Wink

But I love my Italian sweets and am looking forward to adding these to my cookie selection. I am giving each of my sibs a pizzelle maker for Christmas. Miss Mike's Pastries in Boston...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Junk collector, did you make the pignoli cookies and if so, how'd they come out?

posted Hide Post
I haven't had the chance yet. We got back from Michigan really late on Thursday after delayed flights and I immediately came down with a flu. Fortunately it was quick and very mild, but I still need to go grocery shopping. On top of that, I took a really nasty spill this evening and screwed up my wrist. Pommy was lying in the hall and I was carrying laundry and CRASH Frown DH will need to put the bell back on him.

Dying to try these. I hope to get the nuts and paste tomorrow.

PS the pizzelle makers were a hit!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Hey, cookies can wait. Take care of yourself. Here's hoping the New Year improves for you.
We have had some set backs too. DH is battling a cold, I continue to nurse my sore heel and I just found out today that my 95yr. Old mom is having hip replacement surgery tomorrow. This was her good hip. I am hours away and am awaiting better weather should I be needed to assist her post rehab assuming they allow her to return home.

Btw, the paste I use is Odense brand. Be sure to check the expiration date.

posted Hide Post
We spent most of New Year's Day reorganizing the kitchen and the guest bedroom. I was all set to cook or bake and BOOM! Bell is now back on the little guy so I'll know if he's following me. Hand is much better this a.m. but still a wicked internal bruise.

Hope your Mom is ok and has a speedy recovery.