Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Interesting layout...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting layout... Sign In/Join 
Picture of my2gals
posted
This is the entry to the home we recently purchased. Directly in front of you when you walk in is a formal living. To the left is formal dining and to the right is master bedroom. Everyone wants their master bedroom right off the front door, right? Im going to ignore that for a moment and try to get a better flow by removing the tile and hardwood that is currently thee and replacing with 18x18 walnut travertine tiles. I really was hoping to come up with a plan where ripping everything out didnt have to happen but I see no other way. Im assuming this interesting layout had others stumped as well. This house sat on the market for quite awhile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: my2gals,

Posts: 899 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by my2gals:
Test pic

Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
This is what I believe is supposed to be formal living that you face upon entering. Can't seem to get the perfect photo to show how odd this all is. MLS photos will not load. Too large I suppose.

Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Master on right...

posted Hide Post
Have you talked to a wood flooring person about the cost to replace all but the entry stoop, weaving in the new wood to the old? That is labor intensive but it might be cheaper than redoing everything.

By the way, where is the kitchen? Just wondering because the area you describe as dining room and the one that has the dining room table both seem to be away from the kitchen....very inconvenient.

Posts: 7041 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest the same thing as metwo.

I love the hardwood and it seems a shame and such an expense to pull it out. I think leaving the entrance as is and just adding the hardwood would look great.

BTW, your new home looks gorgeous! I love the doors! Congratulations!

Posts: 10497 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
It is going to be a great expense and waste to tear it out. Im not sure exactly what this wood flooring is. Does not appear to be solid hardwood but I can talk to my floor guy and get his opinion. I honestly never thought they could make it look seamless but I can certainly ask. I really hate to waste and tear out is going to cost as much as the materials themselves.

Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
My husband just told me it is a pre engineered floor and very thin. The only way I could live with it staying is if I could sand and refinish.

This same hardwood is in the office and I'm really looking forward to painting it. I have always wanted to do something like this. Not necessarily this pattern but really love the idea. I will be back here asking for all sorts of help when I start this for sure. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: my2gals,

Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Metwo, the kitchen is to the left and has a fairly large breakfast area adjacent to it as well as a long bar that will seat 4-6.
This floor plan is no doubt "wonky" but this house sits on a beautiful lake. Youngest child just graduated and we couldn't pull the cord fast enough to move to the water. Smile

posted Hide Post
Engineered flooring can sometimes be refinished a time or two depending upon the type. It still might be worth the time to check with your flooring guy.

You did not put down your location but your outside environment might determine your flooring. Sandy soil, dirt roads do not do well with hardwoods. Our lake home has all sandy soil and no one puts in hardwood floors. Well, our neighbor did but then found out how it got scratched and covered it up with throw rugs. You had to take your shoes off and then slip on the rugs. It was just a nasty situation and people stopped coming over. Would hate to have you go to that expense and be disappointed.

Posts: 7041 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
I will ask my floor guy. Im pretty sure it is the exact same stuff that I had removed in my dining room at my current house. Homes were built around the same time and it seems to be very popular.

I have been stalking this street for approx 8 years Smile so I am pretty familiar with the homes. The majority of them have installed hardwood flooring so I believe it's safe to say there shouldn't be any type of issue.

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
What about a railing or columns or pillars ??? ... to define/surround the entry 'podium'?

Personally, I would definitely trip and fall right into your house...klutz that I am.... Beautiful home tho! CONGRATS!

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post