Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 8-4-14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 8-4-14 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Good Morning everyone!

I hope we will see some wonderful treasures on today's thread. Please post pictures or just tell us about any recent and/or favorite finds. Prices are fun to hear to.

Let's see those goodies...

Posts: 10540 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some "treasures" on my travels the end of the week and weekend. One of cohorts loves to stop at GWs. Don't have any pix yet or cleaned them up. Will not post all of them at once. So I will be able to share for several weeks.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do, I do (hand in air)!

DH and I took a 6-day road trip through LA, AR, TN, KY, and MS, stopping at as many antique stores as possible. I admit I was extravagant, but it was my "vacation splurge." (The other thing I am collecting right now, besides blue & white ware, is black & white prints, with the intention of someday creating a wall of them.)

I have seven pics.

First stop where I bought anything was Paris, TN, where I bought blue willow (of course) cups and saucers by Staffordshire. These are the only ones I don't remember the price, and have no record, but I know it was reasonable.

In the same picture is a hand-painted Dutch blue & white pitcher that I got another day in Greenville, MS, for $14.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

Posts: 4168 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the same store as the cups & saucers, I got this little decoupaged tray for $7.00. I thought it might work for fall decor. The old dru*store bottle is from Vicksburg, MS (and embossed as such) for $10.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

Posts: 4168 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After Paris, TN, was Hazel, KY, where I got the signed & numbered black & white print on the right for $25. The next day in Covington, TN, I got the very old print on the left for $12.

posted Hide Post
At the same store in Covington, TN, I got these two bird prints for $15 each. When I got home, I found I already have them! The perils of too much collecting! But one of my DDs wants the extra set, so no harm done.

posted Hide Post
From Dyersburg, TN, came these two black & white prints, which are not old but I like them, for $24 and $16.

posted Hide Post
In Vicksburg, MS, I found another signed & numbered black & white, for $35.

posted Hide Post
And last, in Centerville, TX, a store was having a going-out-of-business 40% off everything sale and I couldn't resist this very old painting, sale price $66. My DD with art degree examined it and thinks it might be a screen print rather than a painting but is not sure. It is not signed, so perhaps she is right. It is definitely very old, which is evident from the back. I like the "moody" quality.

posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
Great finds that's for showing.

Posts: 347 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Picked up this candle at Kohls. Haven't really found a candle scent that I really like but this one might be a new favorite.

It's a nice light scent, not over powering like some candle scents can be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9786 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW...Nitalyn...you hit the mother-load. Great finds!!

Posts: 9786 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 5bells and Always...Yes, it felt like the mother-load, once I finally started finding places! (and Always, I don't do candles, but am always looking for the elusive perfect cologne scent, so I get it when you finally find a scent you like Smile )

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitalynn: ...but am always looking for the elusive perfect cologne scent, so I get it when you finally find a scent you like Smile )

Chanel no. 5 works well Big Grin

Nice finds! I don't have a decor find this week, but I did "find" my great-great grandmother's name after years of research. No living memory of her exists, and she had been married prior to my gg-gf, so even her marriage record read as "Mrs. So and So" and not her given name. Add to it that DH #1 had a very unusual name that was changed, with only one surviving child who died as a young adult, etc. I thought her name was lost to the ages.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3484 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I'm a Youth Dew girl and have been since 1966! (My daughter says every time she smells it, it reminds her of me!)

JC -- WHAT is her name?

Martha

Posts: 6353 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nitalyn -- what great treasures you found. I should look at my pictures in the attic for I've got some black and white etching and engraving type pics that I'd be willing to send you. No frames, just the pictures and perhaps mats if they have them.

Are you interested?

Martha

Posts: 6353 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha - yes of course Smile

Tired tonight and about to log off, but I'll try to remember to PM you tomorrow (back at work after over a week vacation, so a lot to tend to, is why I say "try"). I'm definitely interested in your sweet offer though.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:

JC -- WHAT is her name?

Martha

In short, Eva Frank. She had one brother, and that line is where I finally found her, though not by her name. I searched for gg-gf thinking I might find her attached to a record or family tree. Every record of her was as someone's "Mrs." Erasing her birth name.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3484 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Skyler,

Great treasures and pictures Nitalynn. Six wonderful days of thrifting must have been fun.

Always,it's fun to try the new scents and leave some on the shelf. Hope you like that one!

JC, You found that one clue that was golden. Now you have a reference point for more research.

Martha, Oh Youth Dew brings back such memories. It is my MIL favorite scent. When DD was little she used to spend every Tuesday with Grandma. She still smelled like Youth Dew when I brought her home.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Another GREAT MMF's!!! Thanks Skyler for greeting us every Monday with such an upbuilding thread and a great way to start the week!

Strings, I can't wait to see your stash! What a tease that we won't see all your treasures at once... BUT will make it interesting to look forward to each week!

Nitalynn,
I think I have become an official stalker! I follow you on FB and Pinterest, and here on this board... I am lusting after your FINDS!
Love that pitcher! Your 'eye' for blue and white is just up my alley!

Your B&W collection is wonderful for your future displays. Duplicates! That means you really, really LIKE those! And how wonderful to have enough for your daughter to have similar!
You got GREAT deals! LOVE all your finds!
Wonderful 'Mother load'...

Always,
I do not have many scented things in my home, but that delicate scent 'white linen & lace' sounds nice! I never investigate Yankee Candles because they are usually all together in one store or dept and I become overwhelmed with all of the scents together.

junk collector,
GREAT FIND! I am so glad you found your great-great grandmother's name! That is a long-lasting treasure for all those in your family!

Linderhof,
How SWEET!!!

As for ME:
No 'finds' for me this week that are of interest to anyone. But LOVE seeing the treasures you all found! And having pictures to view is also such a treat! What GREAT DEALS everyone has!

Thank you Skyler for all you do!!!

Posts: 9817 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Another week of wonderful goodies!

Strings, can't wait to see your treasures so be sure to pop back in and share them.

Wowser Nitalynn, you got quite a load there. I love all of them but you especially found some great pictures. Your trip sounds almost as good as your finds. I would love to take a trip and antique hunt along the way. DH and I pass a number of antique stores on our way to Canada but I can never get him to stop!

Always, thank you for sharing this. I'm always on the lookout for new candle scents. I really like the Yankee candle line too. I'm going to have to give this one a smell.

Junk Collector, what a wonderful story. I can only imagine how special it is to finally find her name. Nice research job!

Linderhof, what is Youth Dew? A perfume?

Hi Beau's Rose and thanks again for helping to cover MMF.

My pleasure Mary Ruth and thank you to you as well, for covering MMF. I really appreciate it and I'm sure the other members do too.

Posts: 10540 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strings, I'm looking forward to seeing your finds.

Nitalynn, I would love to go thrifting for a week. You found so many great items that fit in with your collections. Wow!

Always, I hope you enjoy your candle. I don't light candles inside the house, but I'll put them when the sun will warm them. That way I get a little whiff of fragrance when I pass by. White linen and lace sound so delicate and feminine.

JC, Congratulations on finding your g-g-grandmother's name. That must have been exciting.

I'm still working on the re-organization of some of my rooms. Friday, the contractor starts painting the guest bedroom, so I have to move as much out of there as I can. I'm using a nondescript beige paint to cover golden yellow walls that I've hated since I bought the house. I'm looking forward to seeing a fresh color that goes with the rest of the house.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, youth dew-what memories,used to wear it all the time, when my nephew was several weeks old I was holding him, his mother took him to change his diaper and said that he smelled so good, apparently not a full diaper,she was going to hate him a bath. That baby is 29 years old now. I am going to have to check into it again.

Wanda

Posts: 1806 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Wanda, it's more expensive than it used to be but less expensive than the newer scents. My DD likes Beautiful and I think a bottle is twice the price of Youth Dew!

Martha

posted Hide Post
I had this basket I wanted to share too...cute little basket I grabbed at a yard sale for 50 cents!!

It might be an old Ikea basket. I have two the same but larger I had bought at Ikea many many moons ago...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitalynn:
Thanks, 5bells and Always...Yes, it felt like the mother-load, once I finally started finding places! (and Always, I don't do candles, but am always looking for the elusive perfect cologne scent, so I get it when you finally find a scent you like Smile )

I'm still in search of that same elusive perfect cologne scent too.

posted Hide Post
That's a great basket, Always! And for 50 cents - a steal!

Mary Ruth - I had to lol! I think you're a pretty benign stalker, so stalk away Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I'm joining Mary Ruth being the stalker, in fact, I'm the silent stalker of late. I LOVE the fact that all of you are finding treasures but the bulk of my treasure hunts are over, very few things jump out at me these days, maybe because I'm struggling to not turn my house into an episode of "Hoarders"! My basement and attic are already candidates!
While I'm glad you found a candle you like, I have far too many of them and forget most of the time to light them (and would probably forget to blow them out LOL).
The prints are wonderful and would be a great addition (if I had ANY walls left!)
Lastly, now I HAVE TO FIND out what Youth Dew smells like!
Love you all and thanks for making the beginning of the week something to look forward to.
Skyler, enjoy your vacation, you will be missed!

Posts: 1995 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Always -- love your basket!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Aww, jaysmom - I truly do have the same problem (of overflowing storage and no walls left) but the only thing that keeps me collecting (besides the fact that it's my main "pleasure" activity) is my future dream of building the house on our land which I will decorate with my "new" treasures, and my other dream of having an antique store (or more likely, antique mall booth) where I will sell the rest. Will those dreams happen before I become a hoarder candidate? Who knows! But I have to keep the dreams alive Wink

And I too need to find out what Youth Dew smells like Big Grin (I know it's Estee Lauder, and I have likely smelled it before, but don't remember...)

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Always,
LOVE the basket! I am on the hunt now for containers, got measuring to do, and open topped baskets are easy to fill!

Nitalynn!
LOL, I will stay in control, promise! I follow in admiration!

And I do not see any danger of you becoming a hoarder candidate! I like your idea of a booth, and sometimes swaps happen there with other booth vendors. I think it would be FUN for you! And... your dream of your home to be is an amazing one and ENJOY planning and looking forward to living there!

I LOVE Estee Lauder perfume... way back when (when I could wear perfume, no allergies) I used to get 'Private Collection'. LOVED that scent! I got exposed from my GF's mother wearing it, I just HAD to have it! Smile

For men, Aramis was my favorite since I first caught a faint scent on a teacher (he was impeccably dressed in a tailored suit with a crisp white shirt, he was dressed for an event) while in middle school!!! That is way back to the 60's!

Posts: 9817 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A trip down memory lane. 1967-68 I was wearing Youth Dew and was just dating dh then. I loved it but found out much later that it stopped up his sinuses. Told him I wish he had said something at first. He didn't want me get a new bottle when mine ran out. That is when he told me.

Fragrances didn't used to bother me, but boy they really do now. Stayed several days in a hotel last week and whatever they were spraying around sure got to me.

Will try to get treasures photographed to share. Looked at dishes but didn't find anything. Everywhere I go, must follow someone who has beat me to the blue and white dishes.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone still wearing White Shoulders or L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci?

I tried to find Nettie Rosenstein's Fleur D'Elles to no avail. Could find Madame Rochas by Marcel Rochas online but when it arrived, the spray was chemically spelling so I wondered if it were a knock off. Guess I will stay with Beautiful by Estee Lauder - at least for the time being.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone still wearing White Shoulders or L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci?

Oh when I was a teenager my dad gave me a bottle of L'Air du Temps, I felt so grown up for my dad to think of an adult gift for me. I almost bought some recently just for the fond memory.

I also love Estee Lauder, have been a White Linen user for years after I "outgrew" Youth Dew.
I bought Origins Ginger Essence Rollerball for travel, it is now my summer fragrance.

Posts: 2487 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never found a men's fragrance that I like as well as Aramis. For some reason, it's a perfect blend to me. Personally, I don't wear fragrance as I find it bothers me when others do. Somehow, I developed a sensitivity to fragrance that causes my eyes to water, my nose to get stuffy and my head to hurt.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a young woman I wore Youth Dew. Loved it and could always identify the scent if someone else was wearing it. Years later I tried it again and either my "smeller" had changed or the perfume has changed (?) I now love Beautiful.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Gracie,
A few of my classmates saw me take a whiff of the scent, close my eyes, eyebrows raised.. and a dreamy look on my face! I was so embarrassed, but I could not help my response (never ever lost my 'cool' before that)! I thought that scent had 'magic' in it! Smile Dangerous stuff for a young gal! LOL

_

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Which reminds me of a story -- 10 or 15 years ago, we were at a convention and DH and I traded off dance partners. My partner said, "wow, you smell like a woman -- not like vanilla"! (At that time there was a lot of vanilla scented perfumes). I thought that was an interesting comment. I didn't tell his wife, but perhaps I should have OR I should have told him what it was and suggested he buy a bottle for his wife!

Martha

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Love the finds this week. I sold my mother's WH Bartlett print at auction a few weeks ago. Let's just say the interest isn't there as it was 20 years ago. Dad took photos and developed them himself for many, many years. I have a B&W I treasure that he took of the Alps during WW II
The discussion brings back memories. I started out with Muget du bois, then Windsong, Emeraude and L'air du Temps. After a bit with Tuscany and a few others I've settled with Jovan's White Musk. Like many I am sensitive to some scents.

piney

Posts: 3242 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Martha, what an absolutely LOVELY compliment

Yes, its too bad you didn't tell him the name of the perfume and suggest he buy his wife a bottle.
Most men are so obtuse when it comes to buying gifts for their wives.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lu, I would assume that he DID NOT buy his wife's perfume . . . or she would not have smelled like a "sugar cookie"!

Martha