Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY? Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Why do so few members respond to any of my threads? Have I been here too long? Is my work not appreciated or understood by other members?

I posted a pic of my Xmas mantel and got one response. My fantasy d.r. got two.

It is tiresome to try to be a supportive member of a forum like this and get so little in response. Just sayin' folks.

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the photos in both posts. Sorry I didn't respond to each one.

Seems to me when I post a reply, no one else replies.

I always enjoy seeing your home and collections.

Please don't stop posting.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I hardly ever even look at the decorating forum posts, as it is just not something I am very into. (I did just now take a look, and your images are interesting, thank you for posting them)

But I would say not to feel bad about it, this time of year many are VERY busy with other things and social times, and may look but not take the time to respond to just a view. After the holidays, I imagine the usual people will be more social. Hang in there.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way, I think that there is a group and I am not welcome to their circle, it is the same on the crafts messages also. As far as being a busy time of the year I don't think that is it because some of the post have lots of responses.

Wanda

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Well I thought it was just me. Now I don't feel so bad.

I shared what I thought was a good CL deal for some cute chairs and a sofa...not that I was buying them but still...no reply. Not even a "those suck" or anything from anyone :-)And that was with 70-something views..

Even though I don't think it's personal, it's almost hard not to take it personally...???

Posts: 9786 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of homebody4
posted Hide Post
I have to agree the board sure has changed. I too get few responses. seems like the board has gone more professional--like those who have blogs, or only post professional posts from sites like BHG, cuntry Home, Pinterest, etc. maybe others feel as I do, not posting our own, as they don't look good enough.

Sometimes I just forget to respond, but I will make note to do so more often.. Please don't stop posting-I think enough of us appreciate every post and every little response--In fact I wish we had more people on here, like we used to

Posts: 1494 | Location: united states | Registered: May 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Emily, it is not you. I am not on here nearly as often as I was prior to DH's accident. When I do come on I seems like the boards have quieted down a lot. There seem to be very few posts that garner many comments. IMO you are a generous and valued member of the boards.

Maine Lady

Posts: 5752 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
This forum is struggling to survive and there are many reasons for this. Gmvj is correct - it's nothing to do with the time of year and there are people here with their own agendas. Bottom line there are too few contributors and it's been like that for a very long time. I much prefer when people post inspirational links and there have been few of those. My recent ones didn't get a lot of response so perhaps it's not something others value. I can find more than sufficient inspiration online for myself so don't have to waste my time posting if others don't care.

While I read a few threads here several days a weeks I no longer read every thread every day. I might miss a few things of interest but there are other places online with more value to me.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12754 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
I recently made a response to a post. I rarely do this unless I can make a significant point or contribution. Several posts later there was another response to the same post, basically saying the same thing I had said, including a link similar to the link I had provided.

I made a public response -- it was peevish and angrily written saying basically I felt invisible. I almost immediately realized how petty my response was and I removed the post.

And, after today's events in CT, it's all moot. Nothing on these boards is really important. What's important are things like waiting the other night for hours -- waiting for a return text from my son who lives in Portland, Oregon and shops at the Clackamus (sp?) Mall. The text and the resulting relief finally came. That's important.

What's important are the 20 babes whose lives have been cut short. Such horror, such sadness, such tragedy.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely agree, MyLife. Glad to hear your son is safe.

My time's very limited so if I respond to 1 or 2 posts, I usually have to move on to something away from the mb's. In general, I don't respond unless I believe it adds something to the discussion. Besides that, I try to always read the thread/previous responses and that takes time.

Have noticed the same thing WRT my own posts. I simply assume everyone else is similarly busy and hope that my posts help someone in cyberspace.

Take care, all.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad, I don't get many responses either.

IF we want inspirational photos, we can go to Pinterest or most places online have loads of photos now, overload.

I come here to check with and interact with real people with real projects (blogs just do projects with free supplies)

I am older now and the projects we are doing take a while, and we can't move any faster, health issues and $ get in the way of banging something out in a week. The economy is NOT that I want to invest all that $ in labor on this house, so we work at our pace.

Redoing a retirement house is not exciting or of interest to younger people, who always think 'someday I will have my dream house' so they always search for the best decorating ideas.

The world is always changing, the economy is not that great, so less product changes hands... MMF's is amazing that people still are out there treasure hunting!

Hang in there LOS, it is NOT YOU! We are all feeling the same, why bother if NO ONE replies (I see view #'s go up on mine even though no responses) I won't bother to add details, I think I put too much, but that is MY OWN excitement towards MY project that I had so much to share about it! LOL

MLV,
You are right, NOTHING is that important after today's news... so so so very SAD! Give all the children in your lives a huge long HUG! So glad your son is OK!!!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't always respond unless someone is asking for advice amd i feel competent to respond or if it is showing a completed project that we've been following in cyberspace or lastly if its something that got me personally excited. Lastly, there's stuff that just doesn't appeal to me , so I move on. I recognize that we all don't have the same tastes, lifestyles, budgets- that's ok as it makes things interesting and diversified.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Yes, this board has definitely changed. There are far fewer posters now and, I agree, some seem to have agendas. There is also an animosity I don't really understand. When I joined, I was not employed so I had lots more time to spend here and there were many, many others who spent lots of time posting their own ideas and questions and commenting, helping and generally encouraging others to do the same. Not so much anymore. Granted, I don't hang out here much anymore (got a job), but where did everyone else go?

All that said, I also have to say this...I've only posted when I think I have something to add to the conversation. I'm not one who heaps platitudes and I, too, have had the experience of making a comment which has been largely ignored and then someone else pipes in with the same "idea" and is acknowledged.

And ALL of this is so trivial in the face of what transpired today that I can hardly believe I'm even posting it. Pray ers for all the broken hearted families who will never be the same...and for the rest of us of who ask ourselves...WHY?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belstone,

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3681 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lady50
posted Hide Post
Please don't be offended by my silence, LOS. I DO appreciate your posts. It's just that I haven't been here more than a couple of times in the last three months since the birth of our grandson. He's been my priority...both in time and expenditures. I still enjoy decorating (or trying), but unless I have a project in the works, I feel I don't have that much to contribute. I'm sorry I missed yours, though. I, too, get only a few responses, so it's definitely not just you.

~Lady50

Posts: 1447 | Location: Keller, Texas (DFW metroplex) | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Hey LOS, I always enjoy your posts, but guilty--rarely comment.

One thing your posts frequently show is your collection of "blue" dishes. I've always loved how your dishes look, and just a few weeks ago, parted with most of my other dishes to just keep--and expand--my small "blue" collection of "food/eating" dishes.

And, your kitchen has always been an inspiration--as well as the planes hanging from your dining room ceiling.

When we finally get The Husband's "airport" hung, I'll post a picture.

Thank you for all the inspiration--even if I don't post or respond as frequently as I would like.

Posts: 4617 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of it can be directly linked to the time of year. I am incredibly busy myself with clients this during this season and when I do have a spare minute I like to spend it getting my own home ready for the holidays.

Agendas aside, I tend to ignore those who want to monopolize the boards with their repetitious advice. It becomes tiresome after a while.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I agree, it is frustrating to post responses or even a new discussion and not get any responses. It does make a person feel like their contribution is... unwelcome or boring. I know i feel like a thread killer and after I post the thread is dead.

I know as the OP it's not easy to respond back to all the people who do respond to your thread, but to continually get no callout makes a person feel unwelcome also. Just human nature. Or there were a few OP's who never responded to me, i think they've either blocked me or prefer to ignore me, so i quite posting to their threads.

I am a person who thinks visually and enjoy very much everyone's pictures. I haven't posted to LOS snow thread but those pics were fabulous. Smile I feel like my posts of inspiration pics fall on bored ears. If there is just a long description of a room, sometimes i run out of brain space and can't quite figure what they're talking about. Colors are not my thing, so i can never post on those because i see color differently than most people (according to color tests i've taken)

also there have been some changes in my life lately that don't allow me to do much decorating but i do try to swing by and peruse sometimes. Sorry I haven't posted, but i guess it's that old left-out feeling. Smile oh well.

It's also quite probable that too many words cause people to skip over those posts like this one, and just go straight to their own entry. Big Grin oh well again.

sorry i haven't posted recently.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wendek,

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
wendek,
I so agree with you and wanted to comment about wordiness.

I feel I tend to describe a lot, but that is training from my blog I used to keep up. So many small questions that I tend to answer them before they are asked!

I will take note that if I want to communicate, I need to do a quick short photo and few words. But you know, that STILL won't get more responses, people are just not coming here that much anymore.

I used to think I was a 'thread killer' and stopped coming by here because of that.

But, I realize now that EACH thread has about a few hours or at the most 3 days the longest I think for activity. Even MMF's with many photos and posts does not keep people coming back after a few days.

IF you look at the 'views' amount you will see people still check in but do not comment. Partly some could be non-members, I have to remember that this board is public and visitors can view ALL we post (but not comment)!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of victoriangirl
posted Hide Post
EMily, my responses or lack of would definetly not be personal. My life just seems to get so busy at times. At christmas I put 3 of my own trees up and one for mom, plus decorate other areas of the house. Shopping, wrapping, baking.

I enjoy seeing what everyone is up to when I get over here. I also try to respond to everyone if they post on my threads. I hate when people feel invisible because nobody is and everyone is just as important as the next.

Sometimes, I only have time to check the first few threads too and I may miss who is just under that.

Such a tragedy in connecticut today, feeling so bad for those families. Give your loved ones an extra hug or an I love you tonight, things can change in an instant.

****Look at objects not only for what they are, but for what they could be, vg****

Posts: 6262 | Registered: Jun 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lucky_Lady
posted Hide Post
The same thing happened to me a year or so ago and so I don't post anymore or make comments, but on the other hand I enjoy every one about your lives and family. I just wish everyone was a littl more friendly. Merry Christmas everybody!

Posts: 231 | Location: Olanta, SC, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I stopped posting here for the same reasons. It was just very cliquish and I felt left out. My posts were rarely responded to and comments never acknowledged.

So I left for forums where that didn't happen. But I began to return and read. I still rarely comment or post.

I think it is sad that this MB has gone downhill. I made (and still have) some very good friends here. They no longer post here for the same reasons.

I have been trying to come back and read. But I rarely comment unless I feel I have something to contribute.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. But I rarely comment unless I feel I have something to contribute.

But this is the point Becky, we are asking for the contribution of recognition of making the thread meant to share with others! Yours, mine and others "contribution" is just an acknowledgment of the effort another member has gone to.

See my new thread about CT.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I just don't know what to say. I don't comment on the CT threads-anywhere. My heart is full and I am holding it in. That is just me. Frown

I know a lot of people need to talk about it.But for now I just don't feel like it.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I think you raise an interesting question Lady, and I don't know the answer.

I have been a member here for a several years, and I have seen all kinds if responses to my posts. Sometimes no one comments, sometimes I get pages of comments. Sometimes I feel people are appreciative of what I post, sometimes I practically get hate mail, and I have noticed that sometimes no one will post after I post. (like Mary Ruth's comment about being a thread ki.ller)

Responses are a mystery to me.

That said, I'll tell you what I appreciate about the kind of posts you contribute, lady. I love that you post pictures of your own home. You let us have peeks into your home and life. You share yourself. That is what makes these boards interesting to me.

I am never as interested in posts where people just post links to information. Heck I can google for myself.

What keeps me coming here are the people I have gotten to "know". I feel like you are a cyber friend, someone who collects blue dishes, and loves antiques, and has a husband who's art touches my heart. I have enjoyed hearing about your family, and your travels and your thoughts on things. Sometimes when I am out and about I will see something and think, "lady of shallot would love this."

And by the way I loved your Christmas mantel,and also your dining room is enchanting. I have been so busy this week that I wasn't on here posting or reading much. I'm just catching up this morning. (although I should be finishing up Christmas decorating my own house, so I better get to that!)

And I am heartsick over that shooting. Heartsick. I can't even listen to the news.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes when I am out and about I will see something and think, "lady of shallot would love this."

Cocok, this is one of the nicest Christmas presents I will receive. Thank you so much.

BTW I don't expect everyone or even anyone to like what I do, but its like when I go to someone's house whose decor I may not like. I can always think of something nice to say because in fact there always is something.

About the bigger issue with the forum I will comment after Christmas. our hearts are all so full and sad, that we need to grieve a little.

Wouldn't it really be nice to think though that maybe there is a playground in the sky and that those little kindergartners are there enjoying themselves?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am never as interested in posts where people just post links to information. Heck I can google for myself.

I agree with you. What attracted me to this board were the lovely pictures. I don't mind reading information like Mary Ruth, Charles, Cocok and others share because I respect their knowledge as designers. However, I don't have the patience to look at multiple links. Like you, I am capable of doing a google search of my own. I believe that is why so many are attracted to Pinterest. I am a visual person so I prefer pictures to links and lists. Just my two pence worth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SusanBradfordKent,

Posts: 558 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lady of shallot:

BTW I don't expect everyone or even anyone to like what I do, but its like when I go to someone's house whose decor I may not like. I can always think of something nice to say because in fact there always is something.
/QUOTE]

OTOH, I was taught to say nothing if something was not to my liking. Smile

I get the feeling that most people here really do NOT welcome strong negative opinions and/or constructive criticism about their homes or projects. Most get defensive. Or, get their tender feelings hurt. They want validations and affirmations, instead. That's why I have learned to keep quiet if I see something that doesn't appeal to me.

I don't even like it when someone complains/whines about not getting responses to a discussion. Sorry, Emily: you asked for responses and opinions. And, I respect what you do and how much you share, but this message board is not a command performance, or is it?

And, like mamaspoon and others, I don't like offering platitudes or attagirls or empty affirmations.

One more thought: I don't see enough discussions or images about contemporary or modern design or even out-there decor which pushes the envelope. Or, any interest at all. There's too much of the same-old, same-old here. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, it is not my cup of tea. That is a reason I tend to gravitate more to other design sites and feel more free to comment and participate than I do here, lately.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:

True, most of us can google but I think there are some that don't/won't/can't and sometimes people find things I may not have thought to look for. I don't have time to be everywhere on the internet so when someone posts a link to something I like I appreciate it. I have occasionally also done this and will continue to as I find links I think may be of interest. Those who don't appreciate it can scroll on by.

I used to like when Jim and others, including myself, posted threads with multiple pics of similar style homes but I'm a bit leery of doing that due to CR laws. Also there was someone who criticized him which is, possibly, why he quit posting such threads.

quote:
I was taught to say nothing if something was not to my liking. Smile

I get the feeling that most people... want validations and affirmations. That's why I have learned to keep quiet if I see something that doesn't appeal to me.

...this message board is not a command performance, or is it?

I don't like offering platitudes or empty affirmations.

One more thought: I don't see enough discussions or images about contemporary or modern design or even out-there decor which pushes the envelope. Or, any interest at all. There's too much of the same-old, same-old here. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, it is not my cup of tea. That is a reason I tend to gravitate more to other design sites and feel more free to comment and participate than I do here, lately.

Very valid points which I agree with. Re: your preferred style - could you possibly post something of that style as I'm sure there may be others who would appreciate seeing it. Contemporary design has never been my style altho I am learning to appreciate it more lately and am actually actively seeking contemporary/non-traditional art. Years ago I collected pics of Contemporary style other members posted for the inspiration4u site and also remember doing a thread on that style. However no one has posted much in a long time until Christine-P's recent thread. http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/958

I think we all need to be reminded that if we want change it has to begin with ourselves. I do continue to make the occasional effort even tho they don't seem to be appreciated because I don't want to see this forum disappear. So, instead of complaining, perhaps we all need to make more of an effort to post things of interest to us and lower our expectations of others. BTW I'm not taking the above comments made by these 2 posters as criticism but as opinions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Posts: 12754 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Message deleted, taken to a PM where I should have posted it initially.

Can we please all just get along and enjoy this forum?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Emily, happy now? Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
I get the feeling that most people here really do NOT welcome strong negative opinions and/or constructive criticism about their homes or projects.

This is certainly true of me in this instance. A transitory, project that will be displayed for at the most for two weeks is hardly the subject of "constructive criticism" from people who never share any of their own design or display work or interiors of their homes either.

I am not unhappy with your comments Mercedes, should I be?

And to continue the honesty here I find it rather sad that a grown up person is unable to find something to like in almost anything. Actually a rather limited parochial attitude wouldn't you say?

Of course this forum, or any other is not a command performance in fact Mercedes you could have chosen not to answer here as you do most of my other posts. I am a very sharing and contributing member of this site and I just wanted to say that I like to be recognized in the same way I recognize others. . . you know just one of the gang.

"One more thought: I don't see enough discussions or images about contemporary or modern design or even out-there decor which pushes the envelope. Or, any interest at all. There's too much of the same-old, same-old here. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but, it is not my cup of tea"

Since I do have a wide appreciation of most styles of design I can often find something to like in modern but it would be less frequent than traditional and I would not feel comfortable living in it. As far as pushing the envelope I sure enjoy seeing examples of Extreme homes, but it is one thing to want to live in a certain environment and another to simply view it.

As far as "whining and complaining" I was simply being honest in my thread, something you seem to value highly.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Please remember those who LEFT this board due to the hang ups about posting photos and trouble with seeing photos on this board!

The boards have been a MESS for some time with features not working, changed from Scripts (I think that was what they were called) to Social Strata.
So, we lost some great contributors, Brittany Dog Mom being one!

Times change, people change... people move on, happens everywhere even on the boards!

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

posted Hide Post
I am guilty of mostly being a lurker. I've never learned to post pics here or on any forum I visit. I spend my quiet eves. enjoying the pics and chat I read here and a few other women and decorating forums. Sometimes I'll respond to posts but for the most part I don't. Maybe I should contribute more. That being said, LOS, I love reading your posts and viewing your pictures. I find your home so charming, so warm and truly a place filled with love and personality. My budget is limited, my home quite simple and eclectic. We are country people with many four legged mouths to feed.Not alot of funds left over for home decor. I don't have fancy furnishings, an elaborate kitchen or landscape. I take great pride in my home and decorate to the best of my natural abilities. I can really appreciate looking at all decorating styles which is why I enjoy visiting this forum. The creativity can really be amazing and motivating.Please keep contributing LOS, your posts and your wonderful home are some of the ones I most look forward to seeing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: janetaz,

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
janetaz,
I am GLAD to meet you! So wonderful to know that such a nice person is lurking on the board! One's imagination can only go a bit off the track trying to imagine WHO is reading what I write! LOL

I saw you posted a thread and went there to comment. Smile

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:

This is certainly true of me in this instance. A transitory, project that will be displayed for at the most for two weeks is hardly the subject of "constructive criticism" from people who never share any of their own design or display work or interiors of their homes either.

I am not unhappy with your comments Mercedes, should I be?

As far as "whining and complaining" I was simply being honest in my thread, something you seem to value highly.

I do value honesty, Emily, and I'm glad you are not unhappy with my comments. But even if you were, I think I could handle it. In fact, I disagree with most of what you have said here today. Smile

Even when we agree to disagree, I always get a kick out of your posts. Many times I just shake my head! If I don't always respond, it's because I have nothing particularly interesting to say at the moment.

There's never a dull moment when you're around, Emily. That's fer sure. And, that's the way it should be.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted Dec 15, 2012 10:54 PM Hide Post
Please remember those who LEFT this board due to the hang ups about posting photos and trouble with seeing photos on this board!

Mary Ruth, this is news to me. Who left because of this? Why did they have trouble? There are a lot of people who seemed to have disappeared. although people certainly have a choice of belonging or not belonging to any online site it does make one wonder. Have these people met with some disaster? Are they still alive? Of course life styles change. . . new babies (schmetterling) new family situations (Tomato Queen, Katie O, JOv family4) About BDM being a great contributor, she was very good about sharing her projects and decorating but don't remember her being too active in any other way.

Cattknap is gone and so is Patty Louise, and Annabel (from Salem) but to recognize Aychihuahua's complaint about decorating styles; these people (also Magnaverde and Sheetmoss) all share a traditional view point on decorating.

In fact I can not think of one poster (of course as always could be wrong) who decorates in a contemporary or modern style, so it would seem that such people do not find anything worthwhile on this site.

About wonderful other decorating sites online, I have failed to find any. Garden web seems to be the only other one I know of, and the structure of it is quite different to this one.

"There's never a dull moment when you're around, Emily. That's fer sure." I think I am just one of those "the emperor is not wearing any clothes!" people.

Janetaz thank you once again for your kind remarks. I greet a simpatico soul.

Picture of victoriangirl
posted Hide Post
Even the tough as nails people want to feel that people acknowledge their efforts, if not, then why bother going thru the time to post pics or respond to anything.

It takes me a long time to take pics, and add borders (although I know that is just preference) then resize them, fight with getting them the right size to fit on this board. Anyway, I don't expect anyone to ooooh and ahhhhh over everything, I know that my taste is not everyones taste and vica versa. I do; however, understand how people want to know that their efforts are being appreciated.

I bet every person on here and in life, love it when someone agrees with what they do or what they are saying. That is just human nature.

As far as people posting links and whatever they want to post, IMO, it is better than NO post at all. I rarely check out the net so I appreciate looking around at links shared.

****Look at objects not only for what they are, but for what they could be, vg****

Posts: 6262 | Registered: Jun 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:

In fact I can not think of one poster (of course as always could be wrong) who decorates in a contemporary or modern style, so it would seem that such people do not find anything worthwhile on this site.

Indeed, that is the case, Emily. Glad you recognize it. Even though I prefer contemporary, transitional and modern, I love to see any style that is well-designed. That goes for that vast school of design known as traditional. I am pretty catholic in my tastes, not parochial. (Size of budget is immaterial to me, for the most part.)

As for other decorating sites that I enjoy regularly and that you may already be familiar with, or are just curious about:
http://www.houzz.com/
http://www.home-designing.com/
http://www.lonny.com/
http://www.casasugar.com/
http://houseandhome.com/design/galleries
http://www.interiordesign.net/
http://remodelista.com/
http://www.californiahomedesign.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
IIRC, we lost quite a few people about 3 years ago when something happened on the boards. Many could not sign in under their names, and if they could, they had problems getting features to work properly. I know of several who were already disillusioned with some goings on here and this was the breaking point for them when they could no longer sign in.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
LOS, don't despair. I too have noticed how sluggish this board has become, but fortunately between we d!ehards and newbies coaxed into participation, we can keep it alive. Just know that your contributions are appreciated so keep them coming. I've been away so am therefor limited time wise of late. I'm currently enjoying the company of my young granddaughters who I rarely get to see. Rest assured that I will resume inspirational links after Christmas. Btw, I loved the Snow Queen theme. So unique and creative.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
if anyone is looking for Magna he moved on:
Garden Web quest for...
http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/magnaverde

I am not understanding WHY this is suddenly an issue when it has been going on for about 3 yrs as previously noted. I saw the sluggish participation a long time ago. I posted here again hoping to contribute to keeping the board alive.

Didn't anyone even notice that the company keeping up the boards has changed? And the mods were NOT monitoring the boards since a long time ago when starting on Friday nights, some posters would have FUN with posts knowing they would not be seen till Monday?

It IS what IT IS.

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Aww c'mon Emily, don't be so sensitive Smile I for one, have just been extremely busy. My mother has been in and out of the hospital/rehab since the beginning of November. I have not had any time to dedicate to decorating and work has been very busy (good for real estate, not for me LOL). Although I do have to admit that I've been lurking.

I have wanted to post a few things like my new wood floor, ask questions about my guest room, etc., but I simply don't have time to get the pictures, load them and post. It also seems we have a lot of new members here that ask questions, but frequently do not return. Maybe they don't like what they hear? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows and who cares?

And, I have to say that I truly miss some of our "older" (for lack of a better word) members who don't post any more. Whitdobe, Suzie, Sonny, and others.

It is what it is I guess. Frown

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Also, for the past 3-4 years I have not decorated. My personal life has been very busy! First, I started a temp job for some extra vacation cash. It turned into a permanent job with overtime and I finally quit after a couple of years.
Then the grands began to arrive. With them I pulled out my sewing machine and began making them clothes and from that a home sewing business making boutique kids clothes evolved and has kept me oh so busy- I am loving it, but decorating has fell by the way- hope to find the time to begin that bathroom redo I posted about soon! But all that has also contributed to my popping in and mostly lurking also.

Picture of Baileys'Mom
posted Hide Post
I've been reading this with interest, and felt compelled to reply. I initially started posting (a lot!) on the gardening boards years ago, then started poking around the other boards here and thought this one was interesting and the people seemed nice. While I left the gardening boards a long time ago due to a poster that would harass the regular members, change user names and keep at it after they had been reported, I have always lurked here and been an occaisional-OK, very occaisional poster.

Personally, I have never completely felt that I fit in here, felt that whenever I posted that was sure to be the last post for that thread. Now, we all know that all threads will end in due course, but I sometimes felt that I had a particular knack to bring them to an abrupt end! I also never really thought that what I was doing was of any particular interest to anyone else. My decorating style was not what I was seeing in the pictures everyone else was posting, so why put myself out there? Years ago, most posts were in the "look what I made!" vein, and over the years they went more to the 'look what I bought!' direction. I personally am more interested in what you made, painted, etc. than what you bought. And while I do look, I don't post very often because I don't feel I have anything to add that hasn't already been said.

Also, life gets in the way. In the last few months, we've had a string of cr@p-tacular going on around here that started with my husband having a heart attack two weeks after his 47th birthday, and has just been one thing after another, after another since Labor Day weekend, culminating a couple of weeks ago with the loss of my beloved border collie at the age of 16. I say 'culminating' because there is truly nothing left around here that can go wrong. So I just haven't felt like posting even if I thought it might be of interest to anybody else.

Posts: 716 | Location: Western NY | Registered: Mar 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Baileys'Mom
posted Hide Post
.......and I guess I should change my signature line.......

Posts: 716 | Location: Western NY | Registered: Mar 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always Nesting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Becky56:
IIRC, we lost quite a few people about 3 years ago when something happened on the boards. Many could not sign in under their names, and if they could, they had problems getting features to work properly. I know of several who were already disillusioned with some goings on here and this was the breaking point for them when they could no longer sign in.

I was one of those that left but just recently returned. At the time I left I felt there was a cliqueiness and sometimes catiness that had become an undercurrent on this board - that had not been there previously, when I first joined this site. Before returning and commenting, I lurked to make sure that attitude was still not prevalent and I'm happy to say, it surely doesn't seem so. I read the care, concern, and genuine helpfulness that was the reason I joined this board in the first place. I'm happy to be back - enjoying this board and the wisdom and help all of you have to offer.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Dec 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
It definitely doesn't feel as cliquish as it used to- and I am glad for that!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
janetaz,
I am GLAD to meet you! So wonderful to know that such a nice person is lurking on the board! One's imagination can only go a bit off the track trying to imagine WHO is reading what I write! LOL

I saw you posted a thread and went there to comment. Smile

Awww, thanks for the welcome Mary Ruth! I am going to learn how to take and post pics here. I just haven't been very motivated to learn, but I really should. As you read in my other post we are in the process of replacing all of our floors in the main living area of our house. It's a big job that DH decided to undertake and it's taking alot longer than I thought it would. Stuff just keeps happening. horses getting sick, cars breaking down, other things that have just taken up our free time. Anyway, when the flooring is down, the house put back together, I'll post some pics of our home. We live in very north Phoenix in our downsized, 2000sf, forever (I hope)house. It's on an acre so that we can have our 2 senior citizen horses here at home. My decor style is kinda rustic, kinda Southwest, very earthy colors. I like texture, wood, rich color. Our houses style is a territorial, very typical to our area.Thanks again for the welcome, Mary Ruth.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baileys'Mom:
While I left the gardening boards a long time ago due to a poster that would harass the regular members, change user names and keep at it after they had been reported,

I've pondered your post all afternoon. When I first signed up for these message boards in 2009 I gravitated to the gardening boards because that is where my first love is -- in the dirt.

But when I started posting I was harassed for no known reason. I just wanted to share pics and ask questions and learn. But I was questioned, put down (basically by a gang of 3), made fun of, etc. I was so embarrassed. I tried to persevere but they got me. Only one person had a kind word for me -- Beau's Rose. I eventually migrated here, changed my screen name, and never returned to their board.

Seeing what you posted, I wonder if they thought I was that person you were talking about? Not that it matters now, it's over and done, but I still shake my head at their behavior.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Whitdobe
posted Hide Post
I stop by now and then but, seldom comment on anything. I'm just not decorating these days. The only decor thing I've done in the past couple of years is the kitchen and I did stop by briefly and share that.

My priority right now is agility. Jovi's running at masters level and I'm going to see if I can get her into the AKC Nationals next year.

I do think about many of the folks here so I do stop by now and then to read. I guess I seldom say anything for two reasons. I hate to "hit and run".....start posting when I know I may never be a regular poster again. The other thing is the photo issue. I'm usually using my ipad these days and for some reason I can't see most of the photos on this board on my ipad. I couldn't see your lovely white queen dining room, LOS or Victorian Girls post or many others. It's odd, I can see some photos on the ipad but not all. I don't know why. Anyway, I had to wait until I could get up to the desktop computer in my office to take a look at things.

And now perhaps I will go to the tree thread and post something.

Nancy

Posts: 2529 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post