Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  This Man hates Large T.V.'s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Man hates Large T.V.'s Sign In/Join 
posted
I know many of the posters on this message board are women, so just to dispell any myths this is one guy who hates large T.V.'s. I like large windows to see nature and neighbors. I like large tables to gather around, eat, play scrabble or canasta. I like large showers, large beds, and even large sofas. I do watch T.V. probably too much, but when it is off I don't want to see it.It is my personal opinion that life offers more variety with less stupidity than T.V. So I'm opting for more chairs for friends to sit in, and more open rug for the dog to play on.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHAT??????
Marry me right NOW!!
:-)

Posts: 1754 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Second dibbs!

Big Grin

Posts: 4625 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My DH is another one. They can also be hard to decorate around. (TVs, not necessarily DHs)

We made it a new rule in our retirement home that the Great Room will NOT have any size television (okay, I admit it was originally my idea, but he concurred). Stereo yes, as wonderful classical music can be a real plus when looking at the views of nature, mountains, elk and large panoramas of sky.Wink

Posts: 9680 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Jan 04, 2014 11:05 AM Hide Post
My DH is another one.

Oh, yes, mine too. I think big screen watchers are generally sports fans, and aside from the olympics and the tour de france or if the Red Sox are in the World Series we don't watch sports.

Besides which you need humungous spaces to have

one of these. . . like a large "man cave" in the
basement. Just not our style

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
My DH is another one. They can also be hard to decorate around. (TVs, not necessarily DHs)

We made it a new rule in our retirement home that the Great Room will NOT have any size television (okay, I admit it was originally my idea, but he concurred). Stereo yes, as wonderful classical music can be a real plus when looking at the views of nature, mountains, elk and large panoramas of sky.Wink

Yes! Ditto to that.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
In the words of a Christmas M&Ms commercial, " They DO exist!" Good for You Charles. You appreciate the finer things.

Much to my displeasure, DH insisted upon propping a sizable tv atop a dresser in our long awaited master bedroom remodel. Since the remodel was a DIY joint project, I would have felt guilty to insist it be removed though I did voice my objection to it. That being said, I hate seeing that rectangular black hole in an otherwise pretty space. I guess I should consider myself lucky though as it could have been a 60" or more black hole. It is also sweet to see my DH reclining in his easy chair before that tv. In fact, he usually sacrifices the larger tv that I often use downstairs so I have to give him THAT though I would gladly give up that luxury if he'd remove our bedroom tv.

I agree that I much prefer gazing through a large window with striking view, a fireplace, a lovely painting, but in marriage, compromise=peace. Wink Now....if we could afford one of those telescopic tv credenzas, we'd BOTH be happy campers. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18780 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
LOL, lovin' this thread! For a long time all I had was a 13 in Emerson. It was all I needed for tv and I really miss it. When we moved into this house, I knew a new tv console was necessary. I also knew that when the old Toshiba gave out, DH would buy a big replacement. So I bought a second hand MCM dresser and am hoping to have the TV wall mounted with the hope that it will "blend in". Sort of like an oversized print (ok, I'm delusional) Wink And I'll have a nice piece of furniture taking up the visual space. Darn useful too.

At least with the old tv's you could hide the unit in an armoire.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I don't have any friends so I am in the biggest TV camp. Hahaha. Actually I have a large tv in the family room where the kitchen is. The living room - which is too close in this open plan house- does not have a tv. Smile I can go in there and turn on the music.
we love movies on a big tv here and it's just better to see it from the kitchen, so far away with these eyes.

I understand, though, they are not easy to decorate around. I like the idea of hanging empty frames around them and the designers have got to come up with a clever way to incorporate big tvs. For the sports fans in our lives Smile.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
My DH is with you, Charles. He has his own 13" TV in the guest room/office. Must run in the family: my two brothers rarely watch TV; in fact, one doesn't even own a TV. Their wives aren't big TV watchers either.

That said, we LOVE to watch TV. Not only are we news and information junkies, but we especially love all the classic commercial-free movies on Turner. And, Downton Abbey (new season starts Sunday) and the late great Breaking Bad and Grimm, OK, you get the picture.) But, neither of us are much into watching sports.

I don't mind having a largish TV in the LR/Great Room, but it must, absolutely must, be hidden from view. So our relatively modest 44" flat screen -- and an awesome sound system -- sit behind closed doors in a large and handsome armoire when not in use. It's the best of both worlds.

Posts: 5365 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in the large tv camp. I have a 44 inch in the family room and a 42 inch in the bedroom on the dresser. My husband is not a sports or big tv watcher. It is ME. I wish I could find a more attractive way to house the tv but we rarely have company and I can't see as well as I was when I was younger. I'm like someone else on this board who said she would like a telescoping cabinet. I would have mine at the foot of the bed. I am frequently alone while my husband is overseas so thanks to Netflix, I am never alone in the evening. I, too, am looking forward to the beginning of Season 4 on Downton Abbey and Monday starts new listings on my beloved Acorn TV which only shows Brit films and tv series.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
It's true, Love Lu, it's nice to have the 'company' in a quiet house at night.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
classic commercial-free movies on Turner

practically the only thing we watch! Took the TCM movie tour in NYC Christmas week and it was wonderful. I highly recommend it.

We particularly like seeing old black and white movies we have missed.

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
I think my husband has an O when the appliances are bigger.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO Cer and Welcome back. Haven't seen a post from you in the longest time unless I'm totally blind and can't read!!!!

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
nope nope, you are right Lu, not blind etc...who could miss that avatar anyhow. Just taking out my decorating frustrations on the board. If I can't have control of my own situation I'm going to come boss someone else around.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
REALLY???? My husband makes up for it, he has seven TVs, two 50 inch plasmas one on top of the other. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CatieCupCake,

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7672 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
Wow Catie, I'm never complaining about our appliances again.
We had four flat screens before we moved. My husband left the smallest to the fellow who bought our home (????????????????????????)
I was just relieved to be rid of one.
But that split screen thing your husband has going on....wow, I mean..just, wow.

posted Hide Post
Wendek said:
quote:
. I like the idea of hanging empty frames around them and the designers have got to come up with a clever way to incorporate big tvs. For the sports fans in our lives Smile.

If you've got the bucks or are starting to build from scratch, what's the problem with housing a big screen recessed into the wall and then press a button to bring down a sliding wall to cover it when not in use and add a painting or wall hanging of some sort?

Posts: 1754 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, still don't get it. We have a 32 inch flat screen which we watch every night. I can see everything I need to see, don't understand how making it bigger makes it better.It's not like my 32 inch TV cuts off the picture in any way, I'm getting the same image.

Also don't get all the sports references, if you are a blockbuster movie fan, you may want your images to be as big as a cinema screen, so why the criteria of "sports fan" as the explanation for big screens?

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
t's not like my 32 inch TV cuts off the picture in any way, I'm getting the same image.

Also don't get all the sports references, if you are a blockbuster movie fan, you may want your images to be as big as a cinema screen, so why the criteria of "sports fan" as the explanation for big screens?

Charles, in my case I cannot see as well as I used to, so a 44" inch flatscreen is perfect. It's my aging eyes. Kinda like the older you get, the bigger the car. Smile

Posts: 5365 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
t's not like my 32 inch TV cuts off the picture in any way, I'm getting the same image.

Charles, in my case I cannot see as well as I used to, so a 44" inch flatscreen is perfect. It's my aging eyes. Kinda like the older you get, the bigger the car. Smile

My eyes are going on the fritz, so I'm thinking of getting a 65" TV and moving the 52" to my bedroom. The guide is soo teeny. I'll need a driver for my big car some day soon, too. Smile

Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CER:
Wow Catie, I'm never complaining about our appliances again.

But that split screen thing your husband has going on....wow, I mean..just, wow.

That is two 50 inch TVs one on top of the other.

Oddly enough when we each want to watch something different, we can. It's just that one of us can't have sound...LOL

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7672 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Charles my husband is a HUGE football fan. He watches two games on the TVs and a third on his laptop. He CAN get more than one game on the TVs (screen in a screen) but prefers not to do it that way. He likes seeing the detail. Of course all our TVs are HD. He has plasmas because there is no lag time with fast moving games like basketball or football.

I figure there could be worse things he could do. At least he is happy watching his football games on the two. He's home and safe. Yep, he could be hanging out in bars watching the games but instead he is home and safe. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CatieCupCake,

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
I love these boards. There's a fanny for every seat. The comments about the aging eyes is so true, my Mom warned me about decorating with all white once my eyes start to fail. And yes, Catie Cupcake a good man with three giant T.V.'s is better than some of the other possible alternatives! Understand about the detail, thanks.