Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Need help decorating on a budget
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help decorating on a budget Sign In/Join 
posted
My wife and I want to do a lil project on our living room who is also our dining area, but we are on a budget. We want to divide the areas, we have been looking to some DIY ideas to divide room. I could really use some help to not only divide the area but also ideas to decorate. Thanks

Living Room/Dinning Area

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a few thoughts and questions:

What are you willing to part with or replace?

The first thing I would do is remove all the extraneous cords that are giving the room visual clutter. The hanging light over the dining table isn't helping the decor and I would remove that altogether.

The DVD's need to be stored somewhere out of sight.

Is the desk and desk chair an integral part of the room? If not, perhaps relocate them.

Where is the seating area for the television?

My first impression is that you have a lot of activity going on in the room. I'm not sure dividing the space is necessary but rather the room needs more definition. Is it a dining room, a living room, an office? Could you post a picture from a couple other angles?

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree w/ eliminating or concealing visual clutter, but back to your question. These things can help divide or define the dual space...

A decorative screen either floor standing or suspended. An open cube style bookcase brought out into the room can not only provide semi privacty but will allow light to filter between the two areas and can be utilized for valuable storage or display areas. Do keep things that are visually distracting concealed via decorative boxes or baskets however.

Another way to help distinquish the spaces is via area rugs which judging by your flooring material, will add softness underfoot, accustic qualities, color/pattern/texture to the areas. Do carry your scheme throughout as dictated by a printed fabric.

Suspending a tension rod may be an option and fishing drapery panels which can be swagged and secured back when privacy isn't an issue is another possibility.

Keep traffic flow in mind whatever you do.

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Questions: is this a rental space or do you own it? If it's your property, consider removing that long cubbie type ledge for more floor space. Do feature some vertical pieces and keep furniture scale and style in mind as this appears to be short on square footage.

Also, what are the lavender curtains in the foreground? Is this living space open to a bedroom or other adjoining room?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well a couple of things. It used to be my sister apartment and then the left it to me, its underneath a house, so the cubbie ledge thing its actually the foundation of the upper house and it was cover like that. Where the TV is hanged is one of the columns of the upper house and the upper thing that continue with the columns its the support of the upper house floor. So I have to work around all that.Must of the decoration you see in the picture Im willing to change. The purple drapes is only for privacy because its the entrance and the doors are in glass.

Living Room/Dinning Area

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ok then....area rugs...one under the table and chairs and one large enough for a conversational grouping. Also, the divider screen or the open cube style bookcase to create division. The latter option should be minimally and artfully filled even if predominately used for storage, it should be attractive from both sides.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ok then....area rugs...one under the table and chairs and one large enough for a conversational grouping. Also, the divider screen or the open cube style bookcase to create division. The latter option should be minimally and artfully filled even if predominately used for storage, it should be attractive from both sides. CHECK OUT IKEA for affordable options.

posted Hide Post
Wich one, the lil one or the big one. I think the lil one, and place it between the dining table and the living room area.Something like this? http://www.ikea.pr/productos_I...alle.php?id=20218442

posted Hide Post
macko, I agree with Susan about defining the space's functions and removing all visual clutter.

The room appears extremely small. For that reason, I would pass on a divider.

Here are a few things that popped into my head, looking at your space:

I would remove the curtains, placing sheers that allow light in but provide privacy over your door's glass.

I would consider building in a fairly narrow wall unit on the opposite wall - across from where the TV is currently placed. The wall unit could hide the TV cords, components, videos and other paraphernalia in closed storage along the bottom. It could also provide open shelving (to accessorize) + an open spot for the TV itself.

In front of the TV, I would place a large, comfortable, upholstered chair plus a small pole lamp of some sort. When not using the TV, this area could be considered a reading nook.

Given the small size of the dining area, I would build in a banquette. It could be built over the cubbie ledge and also provide storage. When the TV's mounted in the wall unit, it could be placed on an angling mechanism to allow viewing from the banquette.

Oops, just saw the large window in the second photo. I would still consider using that entire wall for a narrow wall unit, going around the window, hiding the utility box. It appears your banquette could extend down the ledge wall. You'd probably want to think about L-shaped to keep the small space fairly open.

I would definitely update the lighting. BTW, by suggesting the banquette, I'm assuming you have no future plans to open up that wall to the kitchen.

Using a banquette and wall unit would unify the small spaces instead of separating them. Sorry I deviated from your question - the room just feels too small to divide.

Hope something's helpful. It's all JMHO. Good luck with your project!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could really use some help to not only divide the area but also ideas to decorate.

Your question is two-fold and I would like to address the second part first. Until you clear out all the stuff and make a plan, it is nearly impossible to say what dividing the room will accomplish. As a designer, I would come in, remove everything (and I do mean everything) that isn't nailed down. Then I would take inventory of the following
#1 What you have that you wish to keep
#2 What can go
#3 What can be replaced
Then I would do a scale drawing of the room, placing in the pieces you own first, followed by things you wish to acquire. I know this sounds like a lot of work but in the end it will make for a more liveable space. Drawing the furniture placement is a lot easier than dragging heavy things around and it will give you a better idea of proportion and balance. Don't buy anything until you have done this. Trust me, you will be happier with the end result and will save yourself time and more importantly money. I have seen too many folks buy something, bring it home and assemble it, only to realize it isn't going to solve the problem.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely agree with cavin. I wouldn't do anything w/o measuring the room and doing a scale drawing. Simple software programs are available for this purpose, BTW.

After doing my drawing, I'd probably mark things off with blue painters' tape. For example, using my plan, you could mark off the wall unit and the banquette to make sure you'd have sufficient clearance through the doorway. You could also experiment with the length of the banquette and optimal placement of the TV. If you marked off the large chair with painters' tape, you could then insure that enough space remains to walk around it, before putting out **$ on the wrong size chair.

Good Luck!

posted Hide Post
I should have paid more attention to your second picture. You really should paint all the walls the same color. The accent wall is closing the room in and it has no purpose. If you want to introduce that color, use pillows, a rug or accessories to to it.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pictures i just took. We got a new sofa. And yes i like the idea of inventory and removing things.

posted Hide Post
from other corner

posted Hide Post
last one

posted Hide Post
Much better, now we can see the room in it's entirety. You have the beginnings of a nice living space. I agree with painting the accent wall, it will make a big difference in the continuity of the room.

How are your carpentry skills? The foundation wall has a lot of potential if you are willing to incorporate it into something more functional. I could see shelving on either side to the ceiling, with a bench in the middle that would be used for seating. Like a window seat of sorts, minus the window. Since the wall is part of the structure, you will never be able to use it as floor space, so why not make it part of something useful? If you are not a DIY expert, perhaps you could find a friend that would help you with this. Plywood and 2x4 boards are inexpensive, as is paint.

posted Hide Post
Here are examples of what I mean.

http://www.city-data.com/forum...w-seats-img_9427.jpg

http://www.motherearthnews.com.../Book-Nook-Lead1.jpg

You would end up with additional seating for your dining table as well as valuable storage.

posted Hide Post
That looks amazing, I mean if i could. Im a computer geek so carpentry isn't one of my strong points. What I'm planning to do thou, is build a sort of a open shelf just right below the TV and up to the foundation, kind of like a TV stand but the same wide as the TV and custom made so it fix perfectly onto the column. It seem fairly basic carpentry skill so i think i can do it. What you think. That way I can hide the tv cables, get rid of the cubby thing, have more space for a rug and have extra storage.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
To have shelving built like Susan suggested would not really cost that much if plywood (open backed) is used.

This bookcase cost only about $100 for lumber and labor. (years ago though)

does the t.v. have to be on that bump out? It would be much less noticeable inc. in any shelving system.

I would treat this room as a living room that you eat in. Is this also your computer space?

A shelving unit that filled that whole space to the ceiling and wall to wall would be very impressive.

One thing and maybe you can not do anything about it. . . the floor looks rather informal

An inexpensive (sisal maybe?) rug could help soften the room and add some interest.

Since there are only two of you is it necessary to have the table "float" Couldn't you put it against the wall to the kitchen and move it out if you have company?

The pictures from all views really help.

I agree with others about the feature wall but really love the color. I would lose the curtains on the French doors and maybe have a Roman shade or some such unobtrusive covering on the window.

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think the bumped out area is the best spot for the television. Your room is already long and narrow and building something there will make it even more so. I also think it may be more complicated than you think to incorporate the column into a built in cabinet. The foundation wall is already wasted space so you will be adding a beautiful focal point as well as storage and seating.
Since you say you are a computer person, do you have friends who have carpentry skills you could barter with? I am a computer novice and have exchanged time with a friend for my design advice.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I agree with Susan about the TV. And, her idea to create a windowless window seat flanked by tall cabinets is a good one.

What I'd like to see is for you to flop the living area and dining areas. This way you can place the TV on the focal wall, more or less where the mirror is now, and arrange your seating accordingly.

And, yes, there is too much space eaten up with the dining room set. I would replace the glass table with a smaller scale Parsons style table.

Here is a nifty table that expands 35" to 70". http://www.wayfair.com/Wildon-...231322-CST13465.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do agree with the Storage area, it would look amazing. I just don't see it as something practical here in Puerto Rico. I'll keep it in mind anyways. The table could be something that i can change in the long run. For now, i will take the suggestion of put it in right to the wall. My wife loved the idea of the rug, we are getting rid of the curtains and changing it by cheers. The rug we are looking at something like this http://www.ikea.pr/productos_I...alle.php?id=20203775 and another chair like this http://www.ikea.pr/productos_I...alle.php?id=29901740 . Im getting rid of most of he thing like the computer area, the cubby thing where i have my playstation, the art and everything purple. What you think?

posted Hide Post
If you look around, I think you can find a cabinet/shelf carpenter very reasonable in Puerto Rico. You could use the cheapest wood and paint it. I too think having your TV on the column is not the best place....narrows your room even more. Changing the dining room and living room around sounds like a good idea. Columns won't interfere with TV and such.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know what, i actually like the idea of turning over my living room. I think it could work out. I'm actually gonna try it this weekend along with some of your input and i'll let you know.

posted Hide Post
Good idea to try out different configurations before you invest any **$, macko. Flipping the dining and living area's may work well. One thing to consider, however, do you care if your dining space is a bit farther from the kitchen?

Your additional photos confirmed (for me & it's all JMHO) my previous suggestions WRT standard drapery panels/sheers on the doors, a wall-length shelving unit (including a TV inset and closed storage below, open shelving above) on the window wall and L-shaped banquette w/long bench to unify the room. Although I liked the photo that Susan posted subsequently, I would suggest keeping the unit narrow and one consistent width, i.e. not bumping it out to kitchen cabinet width below the open shelving and TV inset.

To keep your carpentry costs low, you might check out pre-made, modular units (e.g. Ikea) and then have a carpenter add an end-cap (or whatever's needed) to build out/finish the entire wall and give the unit a professional look.

Do you need a desk or home office area? Definitely agree with moving the TV from the column (to the wall unit). Hard to tell from your photo but it appears the niche inbetween the column and front/door wall could be built out with a desk below and open shelving above.

With the TV on the other wall, I still believe floating furniture is the way to go. It appears you may have room for a couple of chairs and a small drink table in the front of the space as a conversation/TV area.

To further unify the space, you might consider a long, narrow print or piece of art centered inbetween the column and the back/kitchen wall, facing the window. BTW, a print or your rugs could be used as inspiration items (for color). Have you committed to the greens and yellow as shown in the Ikea photos?

WRT the rugs, I would purchase 2 - one for each zone, if it were my room. They will definitely warm up your space.

Sorry to ramble - hope something's helpful - it's JMHO. Good luck with your project!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

posted Hide Post
I saw this on the IKEA catalog. I think is a good idea. I dont know if i was clear, but what im planing to do is move the tv to the orage wall and the sofa facing the foundation in the wall. And use the spaces in between the column for 2 arts. What you guys think so far?

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
What is your favorite thing in the room(s) right now, no matter how small?

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post