Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 2-10-14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 2-10-14 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Good morning everyone! I hope we'll have some wonderful treasures to look at today. Please post pictures if you can, if not, just tell us about your goodies. We always like to hear prices too.

No shopping for me so I'll just admire all of yours.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I did have some finds this week, but will have to post pics later as I'm at work (hey, how else could I shop, right?). Flea Market was an absolute ZOO Saturday, but I went back Sunday to get one little item and came home with things I didn't see the first time around! Wink

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
My neighbor had a moving sale the other day. It was inside and she was not too well organized. (but she uses crutches and works full time at her own business so it is understandable!)

I bought a sort of crock pot deep fryer thing for $12. Her sister has an apt over the main space and from her I bought a bookcase for $10. I also offered to help them if they have another sale because that is something I can confidently say I know how to do!

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Another thread was discussing framed pics in a bathroom , and it reminded me that I had forgotten about two that I had used for many years.

They are not actually pictures but rather two cloth hankies from my childhood. I had them framed with "clear" frames so that the wall color would show through. They hung in a bathroom for many years...until I changed colors in there.

They have always been special to me.

Posts: 3228 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit what a cute idea you have there. I like it, those framed hankies are adorable.

Posts: 4774 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Junk Collector, I haven't been to the flea market in years. I was wondering if they were still a little crazy. I guess they must be. LOoking forward to seeing your goodies.

LOS, Your finds sound wonderful. Very nice of you to offer at the next sale. You gave me some good advice for our estate sale (which we still haven't had yet ).

Grapefruit, those are terrific. I can certainly understand why they're special to you. I bet you smile every time you look at the. Thank for for sharing with us.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Flea I go to is an indoor booth-style operation, but no parking fee and no worries with traffic!

OK so here are my finds! First is a small printer's tray. I think it cost as much as a full size tray, but those are all over, this is really quite small at 11x17. Placed it on the wall in the foyer and I think it will stay there! Front edge is painted dark khaki green.

posted Hide Post
A basket that I've had for a while, but as I had the camera out and in the foyer for other things, I took a pic. Don't think I've shared this before.

posted Hide Post
And last but not least, I finally found inexpensive cloches. Actually, these are cheese trays. If you call it a cheese plate it's 6 bucks at the Flea. Cover it with chicken wire and it's a "Steam Punk Cloche" for $28.00 at the Antique store - and that's without the teak tray!

Yeah, right

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector,
I like that printer's tray, I wonder what treasures will find their way into the little cubbies!
I love that basket, very nice, I love the way it is made and the handle.
I got a few of those cheese domes, they are real handy to cover a lot of different foods and items. Great finds!

lady of shallot,
Glad you found some good deals! And offering to help might be fun if they have another sale!

Grapefruit,
I just LOVE those hankies framed that way! They are wonderful!

Lots of NICE goodies everyone!

AS for ME:
I got some beads and tools for working with beads this week, had a lot of fun going to bead shops and thrifting looking through old vintage jewelry. Next trip out, I will take my camera! I also found some fabrics to work with in my house, only samples now, but will order when needed. Will start a new thread when we are working on house projects!

Skyler, thank you so much for hosting this WONDERFUL thread! I had an appointment this AM so I was out for some time, took me a while to get to the computer today! I couldn't wait to see the FINDS! You are such a dear to host this MMF's thread each week for us!!! Thank YOU! Smile

Posts: 9806 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
grapefruit, cute hankies, and I like the see through frames.

JC, the tray will hold lots of fun items, nice basket, and cheese domes. You'll find lots of uses for those.

I found 2 KidKraft chairs at GdWl for $7.25. My DM wanted them so she can have tea parties with the 2 yr. old Dggd!! Now I need to find a table!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

They were in perfect shape, with the exception of a small chip in the back of one chair. I have already repaired it.

Thanks Skyler for the thread.

TTFN,
Candy

Posts: 1321 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Candy -- love those chairs!

JC -- you did well -- love the chicken wire and a new name and they're way more expensive! LOL!!!

MR -- a lot of people Bead, I've just never started although it looks simple enough.

Grapefruit -- what special handkerchiefs and I love the way you chose to display them!

Martha

Posts: 6215 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
So much fun to see all the finds! I love this thread every week.

Grapefruit - I just sighed when I saw your framed hankies. So precious!

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, everyone, nice finds. Thanks again, Skyler, this is one of the few things I look forward to every week. Haven't felt like posting much lately, blaming the cold/weather and should be posting on the 2 threads running about how much we all just "love" this winter!
Anyway, I found this wire "holder" at SA. It was only $4 and have some ideas what I can use it for at work but I don't have a clue what it is!
So here it is looking forward to your thoughts.

Posts: 1988 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Hi Jaysmom...it looks like a picture holder! I have something similar that I use to hold vintage Christmas post cards during the holidays.

Posts: 3228 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Christmas Candy,
I love the chairs and the promise of tea parties in your great grandchild! HOW SWEET! The table can be any side table with legs cut down too, should be a simple DIY.

Martha,
My neighbor does some beading, and I thought it would be a good way to refine my motor skills in my newly 'refreshed' left hand! Smile Don't know how much I would be involved in it, learning what is out there, I like certain methods... and I can use my hands without thinking of it as therapy! Not sure if this is a forever type hobby, never know!

jaysmom,
Nice holder! There was a trend when those were being used in so many ways, holding photos was the most I saw it used for, then to hold Xmas cards and all sorts of collections... Also a collection of 'must do' things for the day at work... Let us know how you ended up using this holder! Good find for the price!

Posts: 9806 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that a picture holder or is it something else? There's a little hook attachment by each circle so could it be a thread holder with hook for end of thread? Idea is probably off in left field but just a thought.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Junk Collector, great finds! I especially love your basket. Then again, I've never met a basket I didn't like Smile I like the weave on yours.

Thank you Mary Ruth, you always make me smile! Your project sounds like a lot of fun. Beading is very popular now and I imagine searching for the beads is like a treasure hunt.

CC, adorable little chairs and perfect for a tea party. They would even look cute with some pretty stenciled flowers on them Smile

Hi Jaysmom, hope your weather is getting better. Your find does look like a picture holder.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your treasures!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
First is a small printer's tray.

JC we have a whole cabinet (?) full of those trays but ours are also full of type! From when we had a printing press. Yours will look cute filled with tiny items and what fun to be on the outlook for them!

Jaysmom. . . that is indeed a picture holder. I find it best to put the base in a container as the weight of the photos or cards etc will topple it over.

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Jaysmon, I looked at your picture again and I think it might be a "Family Tree" picture holder.

Neat looking!

posted Hide Post
I like your picture holder....I think the hooks on each holder could be for crystals, ornaments, beads, or anything decorative.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyler:
Then again, I've never met a basket I didn't like Smile

Here's one just for you Skyler. Dog shown for scale Wink as I otherwise use this for blankets.

Nice finds everyone!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Skyler, Smile Same here, you are my Monday Morning Ray of Sunshine! Smile

I am hoping to just try and work on small stuff... and though I have been frustrated and dropped stuff... I have determination...! I have made such improvements it is amazing! The doctor really 'cleared the way' for that hand to work!!! Smile So happy about that!!!

los,
I am sure that collection of trays with type.. must be enjoyable to view over...!

junk collector,
OH MY what a cutie and ya the basket is nice too! Smile Is that a Papillon? really cute!

posted Hide Post
Shetland Sheepdog crossed with a Chihuahua. She's a p-i-s-t-o-l!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector!

Oh my I can only imagine! and so cute!

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. The chairs are so sturdy that I can sit on them! So Grandma/Granddaughter tea parties should be no problem.

JaysMom, I bought one of those, and cut some of the arms off of it. Then I bought different figurines, drilled small holes in them, inserted the stems of the ones I cut off, so I could use them as place card holders at table settings. Depending on what type of figurine I use, I can change them out for different themes for my tables.
I like the idea of putting the base in a dish or vase to keep it from tipping if you use it for photos or cards.

TTFN,
Candy

Posts: 1321 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:
And last but not least, I finally found inexpensive cloches. Actually, these are cheese trays. If you call it a cheese plate it's 6 bucks at the Flea. Cover it with chicken wire and it's a "Steam Punk Cloche" for $28.00 at the Antique store - and that's without the teak tray!

Yeah, right

I have one of the cheese covers on a marble base, similar to yours in the bottom right. I have eyed it for the yardsale pile so tell me more about the steampunk useage and I might gift it to someone.

piney

Posts: 3216 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, someone took small gauge chicken wire and just stretched it over the glass like netting. That's it!

But again, the steam punk crowd is not shopping in the antique store, so it has been sitting there for ages... If you know a hipster or college kid, they might like it with the "upgrade" added.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector,

I did a search for wire cloches on Pinterest:
http://www.pinterest.com/searc...20cloche&rs=ac&len=8

Even if you use the wire without the glass, it is still a GREAT look no matter what decor you have!

I think having a glass cloche to 'form' the wire around makes for a nice shape!

Hope you show us what you end up doing with yours... hint hint... photos!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
junk collector,

I did a search for wire cloches on Pinterest:
http://www.pinterest.com/searc...20cloche&rs=ac&len=8

Even if you use the wire without the glass, it is still a GREAT look no matter what decor you have!

I think having a glass cloche to 'form' the wire around makes for a nice shape!

Hope you show us what you end up doing with yours... hint hint... photos!!!

I actually have two small metal lamp shades sans fabric and wanted to play with those. I have a day off this week - maybe I need to shop for things to encase.... hmmmmm

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Awww Junk Collector, thanks for that picture! LOL on the dog shown for scale…what a cutie pie. Another lovely basket and perfect for blankets.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector,
OH MY what have we started? Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Sorry, MR I gave up on your link...dial-up is slow. So they took the glass cover and used it to form chicken wire into a hat/cloche then took it off the glass to wear? Sorry, almost older than dirt here. lol

piney

Posts: 3216 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
pinecone, sorry you had so much trouble!

I did a quick collage of a few photos for you and here is a link to a blog showing how to that I hope you can access successfully:
http://www.french-country-deco...ken-wire-cloche.html

The black wire examples have been spray painted.. and the wire is a larger weave, they do sell smaller scaled types too

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

cloche ideas

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/89368373829499532/

Link to the wire put around a cheese cover type cloche.
Attached is the photo from that link:

cloche for cheese

posted Hide Post
That last one looks dead on the the $28 item at the antique store. Your are right MR Smile - oh what have we started....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

posted Hide Post
Grapefruit - I love your framed hankies...great idea and what a keepsake!

I found a clear paned picture frame at Target. It is divided into 6 panels and designed to look like a window made of reclaimed wood. I photoshopped some family photos to give them the sepia look and placed them in there. I love it!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pinecone - your post made me laugh (not AT you of course). Cloche does indeed have multiple meanings, and the visual of wearing a chicken-wire hat is pretty funny Big Grin

The cloches in question are definition #3, and I'm loving the chicken-wire look!

noun
1. a woman's close-fitting hat with a deep, bell-shaped crown and often a narrow, turned-down brim.
2. a bell-shaped glass cover placed over a plant to protect it from frost and to force its growth.
3. a bell-shaped metal or glass cover placed over a plate to keep food warm or fresh.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Thanks ,MR. I'm thinking one like the alarmclock would have been good when the kids were young to protect the plate of cookies/brownies. lol
Nitalyn, I was stratching my head a bit over the hat aspect. Not a really comfortable wear but a local magazine has a photosh0ot recently of steampunk clothing. Hey, maybe this grannie might start a trend. A disclaimer on it would read *do not wear in a thunderstorm* hehe

piney

posted Hide Post
so we're all going with the chicken wire Easter bonnet this year, agreed?

Wink Wink Wink

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Looks like another great week of Finds! Thanks Skyler and everyone showing their pictures.

Remember the Show and Tell of childhood school days? Just like them the MMF is always a favorite.

Candy, Don't forget if you find a taller table, you can cut the legs down to make a child-sized one. Love tea-time with little ones!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
quote:
so we're all going with the chicken wire Easter bonnet this year, agreed?

Wink Wink Wink

Absotively, posolutely. And the bonus is, there are multiple openings to poke fresh flowers in. Really festive, no? Just not steam punk....or should we use artificial flowers sprayed black? Hot pink? Oooo, I have glow in the dark paint! That is it! The kids will have me in a home quicker 'n a wink. Wink

piney

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pinecone476,

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
I am into prim stuff so those cloches with the chicken wire are calling my name. LOL. I have 3 or 4 of those cheese dome thingymabobs AND I have chicken wire left over in my craft stuff from a previous prim project. I've seen the plain wire cloches on pinterest and have been thinking of making one to go on one of my antique tables on the porch for spring. More projects. LOL

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5717 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Wink You girls are incredible! Creative bunch!

amyismynamey,
How clever with the Sepia photos!

Nitalyn,
'chicken wire' hat... ? Wait till you see (below) the photo I found online!

pinecone,
How funny, that would not have stopped my kids! LOL May have started a thread!!! funny about the thunder storm! I could just picture the hat with moss and flowers! And glow in the dark paint would help in an evening event.

junk collector,
Oh check out the photo I found online!!! (posted below)

Beau's Rose,
Aren't the gals who post on MMF's just about the BEST!!!

Lisa Ann,
LOVE the 'thingymabob' name!!! Smile

wire hat

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, right

haaaa, junk collector: those cheese things look just like the ones I donated when we did one of our moves! LOL! Don't think we ever used them Wink

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cute hat! I wanted to shop today for cutesy things to display in the glass and wire but things went kaplooey. Will work on it tomorrow!

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Love the hat and birdie ~ way beyond my capability though.