Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds! for 9-2-13!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds! for 9-2-13! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
Filling in for Skyler and Beau's Rose (who usually covers for Skyler, but could not do so this time due to scheduling).

Due to my admiration for what Skyler does with this Monday Morning Finds thread, I offered to fill in until she gets back from vacation. This MMF's thread does so much more for our community here than just show our 'finds', it also lets us gather for such a positive activity. We share our treasures and also share in the excitement of what other friends have found.

If you didn't find anything this week, that is OK, post something you found some time back and think it was such a great find, that you want to share how you used it!

Please share pictures or just tell us about any great treasures you've found. We always love to hear prices too.

NEXT Monday Morning Finds will find Skyler back at the helm and home from vacation! We MISSED you Skyler, and looking forward to hearing all about your vacation at the lake!

Let's start sharing...

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
MY FIND this week:
A pair of silver plate urns, This is the CL photo and they were 2 for $15 !
They are 6" high and 8" wide without the handle.

I went to meet the seller and we talked for 2 hrs about decorating! She lives at the beach so her decor was wonderful. She had a Chartreuse paint on her house (modern)which looked great with her med gray roof. She painted her wood panel door in a nice orange (same value of color as Chartreuse. Then, she had a nice painted large wood piece that was treated and varnished on the blank wall area between front door and garage door... with a light cherry wood finish with large 6" house numbers (3 of them) she found online on Etsy. The numbers were about 1/2 thick and slim, black on the sides and silver brushed aluminum showing on the face of the numbers. Very modern and stylish. The inside of the house was bright white with her new direction... BLUE.

I told her that I just discovered BLUE since moving here and she excitedly raised her voice and said 'ME TOO'! So, the rapid pace of decorating ideas started to flow as only TWO decorating and DIY enthusiasts can be!

GREAT Morning with lots of excitement! What a GREAT lady she is, AND I got to take home two urns for my mantel with lots of great Karma!

silver urns

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Thank you Maryruth for keeping us going! Very pretty urns. Those would be lovely with roses.

No photos, but I did buy a very small decorative cranberry rake for dh. It will be a perfect holder for cellphone, iPod, etc. Also purchased a few vintage silver rings for myself. one garnet, an Amber, and a turquoise. Really inexpensive little pieces, but very pretty.

Posts: 2976 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Ruth for doing this again! Hope you got my p.m. The urns are really beautiful but better yet was meeting a new friend! I love your description of her house!

It is raining cats and dogs so I can't photograph stuff right now. But we had many days of acquiring. Made three trips to swap shop and Also surplus store and yard sales.

This is a pic of DGD painting her shelf from SS. It seems to be similar to the one Joy Luck's husband made for her. DGD also got a small table. I got white dishes to hold corn on the cob (DD did not want me to take these but we have used them 2X already and she said they are from Hammlecker whatever.) I got a very large ass't of silverplate flatware inc at least one sterling spoon. A small handmade quilt. couple of cotton table cloths. Wicker stand (out in rain)

At a yard sale I got a stainless steel fish cooker, I have always wanted $5. Some white figures for Xmas $5 and a wonderful medicine cabinet for $10.

Maybe more, can't think right now.

Posts: 12187 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GR R R R. Just wrote out my paragraph or two and it got pulled! Can't think what I possibly could have said that was banned!

Anyhoo to start again. Mary Ruth hope you got my p.m. Your urns are great and it is lovely that you met a woman who is so sympatico with you and hope you get to meet again!

I'll just start with one thing as now I don't want to write the same thing again. This is DGD working on a shelf thing she got at the swap shop, that seems to be similar to one Joy Luck's husband made for her.

We got a lot of things as all us three generations are collectors! I'll list later.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector,
I was thinking 'paper whites' for Christmas this year! White roses would be awesome too! Thanks!

los,
Will look for your PM, I have quite a few new messages so maybe I overlooked when checking and didn't notice a new one.

I am so hoping to get that CL seller on this board, but she is so busy right now. She had great taste and her place is coming out amazingly! She has a mind that is fast and detailed for putting things together. OH and as luck would have it.. she has an Empire sofa to sell! Similar to the one you have, but upholstered. It is very long, and I measured my walls, do not have the space for it. But thought it was incredible how 'there it was' in her den, not what I went to see but... it was 'there' in front of me, beautiful and well cared for. I told her the story of yours... and how this one came up again in front of me! Funny how that happens at times! DH and I measured and talked about every scenario for the sofa, but nothing would work unless we turned it into a headboard, but I love my sleigh bed.

Nice photo of your DGD (meaning dear grand daughter?) Love that the background is that incredibly wonderful art of your husband's. Beautiful colors and scene...
Thanks for sharing that wonderful photo and it is wonderful to see DIY'ers in your family who keep recycling and up-scaling items that might have gone to a landfill. And to do it so well, with style and and all the attention to detail they learned from their grand parents! You & DH were good examples, filling your home with cared for treasures that have a personal touch!

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, MR now you've got me thinking..... I have a small collection of flower bowls I could use for forcing bulbs. They're just sitting around waiting for a purpose.

Posts: 2976 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector,
Just view some Pinterest photos for a few hours, your BRAIN will explode with like hundreds of ideas! LOL

I know I never think about bulbs, but the threads here about Fall decorating and you know the season right after that!!! Dare I say 'Xmas'? So that got me thinking...
Of course my mantel might not be done by then, we get sidetracked with other pressing issues... but a girl can dream! At least I could have them on my dining table or the Peninsula or bar area in the house!

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have been on the hunt for gold frames lately.

I am planning a gallery wall of family photos, and I am using the design principal of "unity with variety" in the planning. I want all the frames to be gold(unity) but I want them to have different texture and different tones of gold (variety), which would be impossible to find if I were to buy the frames new.

I also want to reduce the overall cost of the project. I have been picking up these frames in any thrift shop I can find them, for 4.00 to 10.00 each, which is pennies on the dollar if I were to buy them new.

I received a mat cutter for christmas, so I am going to cut my own mats, further reducing the cost of the project. I have bought several sheets of mat so they will all have the same color mat (unity). I am also printing up my photos at costco (cheap) all in black and white. (unity)

Anyway, here is part of the stash of frames I have accumulated.

Posts: 7078 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Such wonderful finds ladies! I love them all. Cannot wait to see each used in the way you have planned. I've never been much of a thrift store gal until the past year because of my BFF. Now, I'm hooked! I love it and the thrill of the hunt. And the wonderful creativity that comes from repurposing and reusing that which is old!

Posts: 8998 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
cocok,
Hunt is quite a word... and LOOK at the STASH! GREAT!
Thank you so much for pointing out the principal of 'unity with variety' in your planning for the wall arrangement!

Unity in gold frames
Variety in the frames with different textures and tones of gold.

And the words 'impossible to find if you were to buy all new'!
And yes, being a Treasure hunter, you were able to greatly reduce your cost! You are right, some new frames cost $100 or more for one in a medium or small size! That is a savings, especially for a wall arrangement!

I had a mat cutter one time (gave it to my daughter) that was a good investment! Mats can cost (especially for me, doing triple mats is my favorite way to go, and that can be $9 per mat layer and up!)

I like your 'unity' again about all the mats being the same color. And all the prints in B & W!

I can't wait to see that project executed! Exciting to see it in parts come together to something so well thought through! This is one of my favorite projects to see come together! Smile

paintlady,
YIPPEE, another one 'hooked'! We 'addicted' treasure hunters love it when our numbers grow! Welcome to a creative pack! More for future MMF's thread! Skyler's thread is going to go on for a long time with new ones being recruited and those addicted will come to see what is NEW!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
We (treasure seekers & finders) are the back-bone of this wonderful Monday Morning Finds! Am I blowing our own horn! YES! WE are the excited ones that can't wait to share and see what others have found! We clean up, and rescue forgotten items and shrink our landfills! Ah what a noble calling!

IF you have a former MMF or a thrift store find you have re-purposed, or finally got up on the wall, or put out to show the world... we would LOVE to see how you altered the item(s)! Seeing those projects really motivates us to keep looking! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

posted Hide Post
quote:
it is wonderful to see DIY'ers in your family who keep recycling and up-scaling items that might have gone to a landfill

Thanks a lot Mary Ruth, this means much to me as DGD is talking a lot about decorating and the difficulty of doing it in a college dorm, esp the "common room" the four roommates share. We are ready to get in the ark today as the rain is so heavy and constant that they could not take her up to college to get her set up for her final (yikes!) year.

We got many things in the past week, stores, swap shop, yard sales. Actually each one of the three of us wanted the shelf thing!

I got from swap shop: two tablecloths, a large lot of silver plate flatware inc at least one sterling piece, a collection of wine glasses (at least as many will go back) a small hand quilted
quilt, DGS got 19 books. Oh, Mary Ruth, DH found a book on decorating but this has to do with scale and proportion, not just pretty pictures. I look forward to studying it.

I got a wicker two tier stand for maybe the bathroom, DGD got a small stand which she has shellacked.

The thing is with three or four people looking and finding things for each other my brain gets confused about who got what!

We also got things at yard sales, I got a fish cooking pan $5 (one of those oval ones) and a nice old medicine cabinet $10, some Xmas things $5. DD got an small iron 2 tiered stand. She also found a leather chair at our surplus store which she wants me to store if they take the empire sofa!?!

Cocok, I love the frames and your approach to buying them! We sometimes try to cut mats but I am not too good at it. I'm trying to think if my frame shop owning friend has any special trick to cutting mats, but can't remember just now. (I know in cutting glass she keeps the cutter in a bowl with a sponge soaked in oil) Mary Ruth is so right about the cost of mats! I asked at A.C. Moore's if they could just cut in half a largish piece of mat board I was buying and turns out they do not do any of the matting there but send it out! Maybe that is why it is so pricey but my friend charges a lot too!

To comply with MR's request for refurbished items.

This is a Lincoln rocker which I don't remember where we got it. I painted the frame and upholstered (very inexpertly) back and seat. Springs were gone so I used a piece of plywood
and foam then batting etc. I also made the quilt hanging.

we did a lot of refurbishing in the early days of our occupancy here!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

posted Hide Post
Here is the rocker inside before we had the windows replaced. This is where my bookcase of blue and white china stands now.

I made the candy house and stored it in my closet upstairs. Well in the summer the candy melted and dripped down on the mink coat DH had bought me one Christmas when he was flush!

posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, what are you going to put in the urns?

They could display so many things!

posted Hide Post
Great finds, everyone! LOS, I'm jealous that your family loves to look for treasures like you do.
I found a small hutch for my dining room last week at a yard sale. Didn't have a way to get it home so I told the owner if it didn't sell to give me a call. So as soon as I get a truck, it's mine. $50 is still in my price range!
OK, so it's a little too colonial but the size is just right. With some other pulls and possibly removing the plate rail, it's just the right size and has storage. I've been using my Dining Room as an office so storage is #1.
Here's a pic from CL where it was also posted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaysmom49,

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
You have shown your family how to have style with less! It is so hard to decorate a dorm room as 'personalizing' is really at a minimum for space, privacy and expense, one has to get real creative!

You are in SWAP SHOP heaven! And a quilt too! I love the idea of swapping out wine glasses without spending any $! 19 books! That is more than I EVER got on one trip! She will NEED bookshelves when she gets her own place set up!

I think you already understand the scale and proportion, from what you have already shared with us, but it never hurts to read about 'only' those two facets of design. Also helps to see the terminology designers use. Each profession has its own words or describing things, their 'buzz' words too. Smile I can't wait to hear what you have to share about some of the things you learn in that book! And FREE, that is amazing! I would hate to tell how much I spent on college books on design and all the books I have no room to store right now! I gave so many to the library here that they had to extend the section and give it its own name (Interior Design)! Finding the books FREE is such a TREASURE!!!! SCORE!

I am re-reading Sister Parish's book about her life and work as updated by her daughter and grand daughter. I want to share a few things with this board, but I have way too many sticky notes in it! So, I am going to do a series where she talks about life at times she was exposed to, an insight into that social class before and during the depression. She was the decorator who helped Jackie Kennedy redo the White house. I got the book from Amazon.com, yes I paid for it! LOL

What a great visit you had with your family! And they are leaving with such treasures! You know the great memories of 2-generation treasure hunting makes each piece you found hold those memories and Karma!

OH NO, you have to store more?
LOL my daughter just left with a dining table and 6 chairs I had here for her, she FINALLY got to coming around and getting it! Because of health issues, DH and I couldn't deliver them and she had been so busy that she had no time... NOW I have some space to work on stuff in my house! WE don't have a basement nor an attic and DH has his one-car garage packed already!

Your finds sound like you got a great haul! Pans are so expensive, I love it when I find one!

When I cut matting, I had to practice and pay attention to the marking on the knife piece, there is a notch you stop at when the end of the line is. I only cut after practicing for a few times to make sure I never got the X at the end.
I love the mats with the different color on the inside. Like my mats for my favorite frame, the mat is dark brown on the inside which, when placed next to a similar color on the photo or print... it makes an outline. Those cost more. My daughter said if I had used a marker instead, it can react with the print when framed.

You didn't have to 'comply' lol but I am so happy you did contribute to the refurbished treasures!!!

Love that chair, has great lines and I am sure you made it so cozy! los you really got a good find there! Love the GREEN! That photo looks like it came out of a magazine!

URNS: I thought of paper-whites for Christmas. But I also would like some moss and orchids in them for color. Would have to be faux orchids because I just kill them...not on purpose! I am thinking of ways to use them for our mantel when we get it finished. Projects are moving very slowly as I want DH to have days 'off' too, not just 'honey do-days'! LOL

jaysmom,
Isn't it wonderful to have people in our real lives that love to do what we on this board just love doing? so rare... my daughter and grand daughters have jumped on the CL bandwagon since I moved here. I have two neighbors who buy and sell on CL so it makes it fun to share our finds!

NICE hutch! $50 is a GOOD DEAL! I can picture it without the plate rail! And I like that it is all real wood, so you can do anything with it! I like the shape of it too, and that there is room above so you can hang something like pictures on the wall. Or something tall on the top shelf.

posted Hide Post
quote:
am re-reading Sister Parish's book about her life and work as updated by her daughter and grand daughter.

Don't you love Sister Parrish? Although I must say I have always liked her house in Maine better than her NYC apt. I love that she died in the same bed she was born in! And I know two people who have met her!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
Me too, the Maine cottage is the BEST! And I really think the quilts and cottage stuff she did was so much better. Why? Because family was together and she was at peace and LOVED the house! We all do BETTER when we love something!

To think Bunny Williams actually got to work with Albert Hadley, being hired as Hadley's secretary! Imagine that fortune to work for that firm!

I won't die in the bed I was born in, but I did get to sleep in it when visiting Nova Scotia (not the same mattress, but the bed frame). My mother had her first two births in the bedroom on the first floor, closest to the kitchen at my dad's mom's house.

I hated when the book ended, so I decided to visit it again and re-read making notes of talking points I wanted to share (my book group training... lol).

How wonderful that you know two people who met her! She LOVED Maine, and if it weren't so COLD I would have gone that direction too! The warm Florida climate agrees with me so!

posted Hide Post
Oh my! I forgot that today is Monday, since I am so loving my three day weekend! I went on a Goodwill spree yesterday...I blame it all on DH, since when I said I wasn't sure what I was going to do, he said "why don't you go to all the Goodwills?" - well, OK then Big Grin

So first are these little lanterns, which I plan to use in my bay window for fall decor. I actually got one of them 2 weeks ago, and then found another just like it yesterday. They are originally from Ikea. I got the first one for $3.99 and the other one for $1.99 because we couldn't read the tag. I got the pumpkin a couple of weeks ago also, for $3.99.

Next, my biggest splurge, 10 blue table glasses for $1.99 each. I had my eye on them for a couple of weeks, and decided to do it.

Three very old and kind of rare red transferware bowls for $1.99 each, and a silver tray for $3.99 (I saw an idea on pinterest for hanging a lot of silver trays on a wall).

Last, clear candle holder for $2.99, a blue glass candle holder for future blueware collection for $3.99, and a clear cylinder vase for my fall decorating for $2.99.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a holiday weekend, the scores are amazing.
Usually, around here, 3 day weekends are duds.
Forgot to post about my biggest "score". I had a roll top desk that a friend needed to get rid of to sell his house. It was particle board from a big box store. I hated it but it served the purpose.
Now that my new hutch is coming soon, I posted it on freecycle and it should be out of here tomorrow night! Hope the new owner can use it and considers it a "find".

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalyn,
Ha ha next week I can relax when Skyler is back! I was very much aware for the whole month to make sure I didn't forget to post MMF's! I wanted to take care of MMF's to preserve the tradition for Skyler who has done and incredible task for all of us for a few years now!

WHAT??? DH said what? Go to GW? He is a keeper for sure! Those lanterns are so cute! You are so ready for Halloween and Fall decorating!
Those glasses are blue? they are a nice smokey color!
You must be thrilled for all those wonderful FINDS! Love it all for Fall! Love the sp tray! I use those for chargers!
I found an idea of the clear vase.. will post after replying to posters.

jaysmom,
I know aren't the finds amazing! Oh by selling it is like money towards anything else! I hope you sold it FAST!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalyn,
For your clear vase/container:
Did you see this idea? Clear glass vase, distilled water (at super market for around $1) distilled water is clearer than regular water.

then silk flowers dropped in the water.
http://www.wedding-planning-10...nterpiece-ideas.html
It is a wedding site, but the idea is GOOD!

vase water flower

posted Hide Post
M.R. - yes, DH is a keeper for sure Wink Those are cool vase ideas; I actually picked up mine to put some faux berry branches in for the kitchen counter.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually freecycled it as I gave it away.
Since I got it for free, it seemed right to pay it forward!
Personally, if I had to pay for it, I wouldn't have wanted it, just doing a favor for a friend.
and Nitalynn, just for the record, the little eagles are a goner LOL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaysmom49,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
Sometimes I can get a few nice ideas from wedding sites. Branches in the vase sounds nice too, ready for Fall!

jaysmom,
Freecycle! I used that a lot in Virginia! I got ALL my moving boxes for the whole house that way! The lady had just moved near me, about a half a mile from my house, gave me a time to go get the boxes, I showed up, she told me that the other 2 ladies did not show... so if I wanted she would call me as she emptied her boxes (they flat packed them for me and put them in my car!!!) I got ALL the moving boxes, popcorn and paper for wrapping all FREE! I had my left arm in a sling then (almost a year), and they were so nice as to load them for me! Freecycle people are wonderful! I have not used them here yet, my neighbor said 'don't go there'... in this area...!

posted Hide Post
jaysmom-I had to think on that one for a bit, but then I remembered!! The eagle hardware on the desk-lol! That's been a while-good memory!

posted Hide Post
Your neighbor said "don't go there". Gotta wonder why. Maybe she's secretly looking down on people who love "finds"... Makes me wonder.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
jaysmom,
I was thinking more... she doesn't want me to be competition for what she wants! LOL I don't think she looks down on people because she rotates stuff frequently.
As a matter of fact (she is an Art teacher) and I passed directly to her all my art stuff I know I won't use, her kids used some of the stuff for projects. I think she might have given away some of the stuff I gave her... I might have seen it posted!!! LOL
I have no more stuff to give...so no issue now.

Made me wonder too, till DH made the comment about the stuff I gave her... boxes of stuff! She was so happy to have it. And if it got her something to trade, I am OK with that.

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Thank you for starting this thread. It's so much fun seeing everyone's unique finds.

We went to a new antique mall in our area. I'm not a huge fan of these, but DH likes them.

Then I saw it.....and my heart skipped a beat! The most beautiful pine tree quilt I've ever seen! It wasn't a bargain, but it came home with me, a gift from DH for our anniversary!

Posts: 3544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Annon,
I love this thread too, and Skyler has been wonderful in starting and keeping this tradition going for us for some time now. I feel privileged to having kept it going while she was on vacation! She will be back next Monday to take the helm again!

LOVE that quilt! Gotta LOVE a man who gives his woman what she wants and what makes her happy!
Happy Anniversary! The quilt is beautiful! I have not seen that pattern before, and I can see why your heart skipped a beat!
Thanks for sharing the photo with us too!

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
wow..

yoou all made some great scores to show off this monday or heck any daySmile

Nita- I am in love with your blue glasses..

congrats to all of you.. enjoy those new treasures to the Max.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
To think Bunny Williams actually got to work with Albert Hadley, being hired as Hadley's secretary! Imagine that fortune to work for that firm!

I love her too but esp her husband's old place in N.J. was it a greenhouse or barn or shop or what? Just remember I totally loved it!

Nitalynn laughed out loud at why not go to GW?
You got some great deals and the blue glasses would fit right in here . . . color wise but not space wise!

Jaysmom, that is a great hutch, when you say office space do you mean that is what the hutch will hold? Display space as well as that nice ample hidden space?

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sonny Dayz, always happy to see you posting! Smile

los,
We will have to start a thread or two about these designers that had such an impact on the design industry and the way we view Interior Decorating. They kind of set the standards for what was popular for some time, even today much of their ideas are still considered great design.

I have not read much about Bunny Williams husband, but found this site showing the barn project
http://dearlittleredhouse.blog...y-williams-barn.html
beautiful space!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I'll have finds next week.

We spent a long weekend in Minnesota with DD, SIL and baby Lucy!

But we did get some shopping in!

MR -- those urns are fantastic! LOVE THEM!

JC -- that cranberry rake sounds like a perfect holder for those things! And there's nothing like rings on your fingers and rings on your toes!

MR, JC -- I ALWAYS force bulbs -- not for Christmas but for after -- when the glitz and glitter of Christmas is put away and the house looks so . . . bland!

Cocok -- nice assortment of frames. I'm a frame junkie, too but I try to refrain myself!

LOS -- sounds like you ALL got a haul!

jaysmom -- it's a nice hutch and I'm sure you can make it less "colonial"

MR -- I have the same Sister Parish book -- but alas, none of the books showing color pictures of her work! Because of the book, I found a pretty hooked rug for my bedroom!

Nitalynn -- you got a HAUL! Love the bowls and those little lanterns are adorable. And your other finds aren't shabby either!

Annon -- what a beautiful quilt. I've always liked the pine tree pattern.

MR -- I like Bunny Williams too --

Great finds everyone especially with the holiday weekend!

Martha

Posts: 5412 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Martha,
I will be looking for your post next week with your finds!
And look for a post on Sister Parish in about a month or so... then I will go to the library and read up on Bunny... then on the other designers that worked for her and followed her... I think I have my reading cut out for me!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
Hope it is not too late to add a MMF. I forgot this one. Don't know if I had said that my surplus store had Le Cruiset (?) items at 1/2 price. Well their commercials say "you should have bought it when you saw it at Mardens" and I truly should have because the next week there was hardly anything left!

I did get this small casserole and in the blue! $25. I already have a small green one (not le curiset) that a woman gave me at a yard sale and I love its utility for just the two of us!

posted Hide Post
Anon, I'm sure you have heard the saying "carrying coals to Newcastle" (maybe no one says that anymore) but it could describe your purchasing of the beautiful quilt! That would be one view. Another would be that who except a quilt maker like yourself could appreciate this quilt in the way it should be appreciated!

I think the color is what makes it so very special. Very very nice!

posted Hide Post
http://www.elledecor.com/desig...n-collecting-a-70247

this is a link from Elle about John Rosselli. The space I am remembering is a chicken coop (remembered last night) that he had in N.J. this probably was years ago that I am remembering. Certainly before he was married to Bunny Williams.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los! NEVER TOO LATE! MMF's morphed into the week of...finds! So, it 'starts' on Monday! LOL we all can't post on Mondays so I love that posters keep coming to ADD, especially with photos!

Le Creuset at half price! Great DEAL and GREAT SIZE! I cook in that size for the two of us (not in that pan) and then DH always wants me to cook more... so I went back to using larger pans and making more...!!! I freeze some and then the day after I bake, he takes it to work for lunch! No fast food for DH!!!

los, I LOVE that color too, beautiful blue!

OH thanks for the link, I will check it out. She was so LUCKY to have her passion at work, and then as a working designer, then married to someone also interested in design... that is a blessed life! As they say 'live, eat, breathe and sleep' what we love!

Came back to say I read the article! Great intro for me into his work. Thanks!