Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint Colors Sign In/Join 
posted
We are getting ready to paint our living room and dining room. Our furniture is medium dark gray and the curtains are burgundy and my husband would really like to keep the curtains. There is an archway separating the living room from the dining room. I'm looking for some wall color ideas. Thank you for your suggestions.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board! Smile Are there any other colors used in the room? What about the dining room? And adjoining rooms? Would like the two rooms to be the same color? Can you post pics of the dining room too? The more info you can provide those that are able to help you, the more help they can be. Smile

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7672 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
What color is your sectional? Can you post more pics?

Posts: 3271 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
I think she said it was medium to dark grey, but it doesn't look like it in the pic. More pictures would be VERY helpful. Please include more of the other side of the room if possible.

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7672 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, more pictures would be helpful. Here is my opinion from what I can see. Your seating is fairly dark as are your curtains. If you paint the walls anything but a light colour, I'm afraid your room is going to be very dark.

One small suggestion. If your husband requires you keep the curtains, could you at least remove the top valance part? Simple is better and it would give the windows a more up to date appearance.

Posts: 558 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I responded to you on the other forum but will reiterate what I said there.
(First off, your sofas look blue not grey on my monitor which throws me off a bit).
I suggested a pale gold or ivory for the walls. Even off white or white would do the trick. There's a lot of "heavy" stuff going on there between the burgundy drapes and bulky furniture. You need to lighten things up a bit.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your great suggestions. I will be trying the curtains without the valances although I do wish they were white. We did choose a neutral light color for the walls. The carpet is thrashed and will be removed so that color (beige) was not a factor. Again thanks for your help.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post