Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Shattered glass and ripped metal.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shattered glass and ripped metal. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
no, not the latest decorating trend, but rather a car accident I was involved in yesterday enroute home near 5PM just minutes from my home. The occurrence was a complete out of no where event and I believe my vehicle bore the brunt of the impact tho the offenders involved two other cars. A fourth car behind me a ways was hit also. The "weapon" doing the damage was a large SUV (I was driving a mid size sedan). There were no passengers in my vehicle. I was approaching a left turn to the road to my nearby development tho I was not quite at the intersection. I won't go into further details. Suffice it to say a lady was probably going too fast in her giant vehicle and a young man who looked like a teen, claimed he never saw her coming (he was at a stop sign awaiting his time to make a left turn). I never saw her either, but suddenly BANG! Air bag deployed, smoke and smell from airbag present (I feared fire, but none thankfully occurred) my chest burned, my car was rolling, a stranger reached in to engage my clutch tho I had the presence of mind to turn my ignition off, another stranger told me to exit the car, I could not fully open my door due to the, impact and damage to the right front of my car, but managed to exit. Another stranger grabbed my purse while another brought me an old iron chair to sit on. The next few minutes was a whirlwind of strangers calling my DH ( I was too shaken to dial my cell), asking if I needed water, a nurse who appeared from no where to take my pulse and ask medical questions, paramedics, firemen, state troopers...all very kind and attentive. DH had come to assist as well as neighbors who heard the impact. At the advice of the peri medic, I took a warm shower and DH took me to the Er where thankfully, I did not have a lengthy wait. My worse injury was a bruised bre@st, a forearm laceration...indeed, no one in this 4-5 car accident was seriously injured nor died. We were all blessed. BTW, I had a EKG, chest X-ray, tetnus shot, and my laceration cleaned. I am applying ice now and taking it easy. This was the worst accident I have been in, but it really makes you reevaluate life and give praise to G@d. Blessings tO my HGTV board friends.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
The Good L*O*R*D was watching over you Froo. Glad you are okay.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Angels were in your presence Ms. Froo! So thankful that you are okay. My heart was racing as I was reading this and at every turn, I was in awe at how G*O*D provided precisely what you needed each second. Blessings to you and hoping the soreness and any discomfort subsides quickly.

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
so thankful you and the others came thru this without serious injuries..

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh Froo - that is terrible and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things can change in an instant, glad everyone involved are ok. You are going to be one sore lady this weekend, just relax.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Froo,

Sending the very best wishes to you
as you recover. Hugs!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
One just never knows what the day will bring....
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
That was a close call, Froo. Thank goodness, you're OK. Take good care of yourself.

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So very glad you and the others are okay. One never knows. Please take of yourself.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6167 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Froo, very happy you had such a good result (and the others too) from what could have been a terrible experience and one much more damaging.

You wrote a wonderful description so I felt almost present. So glad you got thorough and kind attention, both at the scene and at the hospital.

I remember that you lost your brother to an automobile accident some years ago, so this must have been a sad reminder of that earlier accident.

So glad you are safe, though much shaken. Be very kind to yourself and pamper yourself with ice cream or whatever treats you like. Let your DH wait on you and just rest and relax.

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
LOS, how insightful and thoughtful you are. Indeed, I was reminded of my dear brother, John who died similarly. In fact, his birthday is Aug. 19 and on that day, I have made it a point to ride the Strausburg, Pa train in memory of our rides together. Coincidently, the trip ends in Paradise, Pa. If you recall, trains were his passion. One of the first things that crossed my mind was being able to keep our "date" on Monday. I have no doubt that he had a hand in the outcome of this accident. No doubt at all...

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and well wishes. Hugs, Froo

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How frightened you must have been, esp when you didn't see it coming. As bruised as you are be very thankful for the air bag- it did its job to prevent you from being seriously injured. You truly had an angel on your shoulder. Take it easy.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Froo,
Your description reminds me of the few close calls my DH and I have had, so I felt the emotion in your story. I understand you stating the facts without emotion and just letting the information flow out of you. The emotions will set in after you go through your shock.

So happy it worked out for you to be able to post here, keep your appt for your brother... and are OK! REST even though you might think 'its nothing'! Take care of yourself! Thanks for sharing with us!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness, Froo! I'm so sorry to hear this, but glad the outcome was positive. I had an "out of nowhere" accident about 12 years ago, when I merged onto an entrance ramp, seeing an 18-wheeler a good ways behind me, and though I was not slowing down (I was going about 40), apparently his air brakes didn't engage and the next thing I knew the 18-wheeler had plowed into the back of my SUV...and kept coming, up the driver's side between me and the concrete barrier...it was very scary, but I was not hurt, and thank goodness my children were not in the back seat (I was alone)...so the worst that came out of it was that I was completely terrified to drive anywhere near an 18-wheeler for many years. I'm just now overcoming that fear. I hope you will overcome any fears and soldier on! Best wishes.

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as you're OK, the rest is just stuff.
I was hit and my car was totalled in August, 2009.
Then my new car from 2009 was totalled in June, 2012. My Ranger truck that my son drove was totalled in May, 2013. Not one of the accidents were our fault and neither one of us was hurt.
Both of us were stopped at the time of the accident. I'm firmly convinced that my only recourse is to not stop and wait to go, just flip them the bird and barge on out. (let's see if this post gets pulled) LOL!

No injuries is all that mattered. But it is scary and frustrating.
Again, as long as you are OK!

Posts: 1922 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Froo, I'm so sorry to hear about this but glad the human damage wasn't too great. Years ago I totalled my SUV (through no fault of my own) but fortunately was able to walk away from it. Yes, definitely makes one thankful.

Do take good care of yourself, sometimes the reality of an accident takes awhile to sink in.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Whew that sounded pretty bad, it's a wonder you made it out with minor injuries. Good thing they put all these new safety features in cars...I think we need more. It's getting more dangerous than ever to be on the road.

Thank G0D you are alright.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness. Reading that brought tears to my eyes. So happy your ok. That is so scary.
I always worry about getting in an accident. Everyone drives so fast. So far have been lucky. My dh drives a motorcycle everyday, I worry so about him.
Once again Froo, so happy to hear your still with us Smile

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for what you have been through Froo Froo. It sounds absolutely horrifying. So glad and thankful that you were not seriously hurt. Wish I could bring you dinner tonight, or something. Get lots of rest, and take care of yourself for the next few days. Darn it anyway.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I am progressing. I was more sore yesterday then today. The bruising is in full bloom. One naughty bit resembles an eggplant...poor girl. :-0

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
just be safe and i'd follow up with your primary care dr...pal on another site? her dsister was hit took a couple hours and she was admitted to the hosp!

take care!! and gentle hugs!

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
just be safe and i'd follow up with your primary care dr...pal on another site? her dsister was hit took a couple hours and she was admitted to the hosp!

take care!! and gentle hugs!

Oh, I plan on trying to see my primary doc this Tuesday. Not sure what your last sentences meant?? Pal on another site? Are you stating that you have a pal who was in an accident? Thanks for your kind words sjf. If you read above, I was checked out at the ER Friday evening.

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Another example of how life can change in an instant!

So glad you are OK. Take good care of yourself, and wait to sign any medical releases, as whiplash effects can show up after a few days.

I was rear ended in a very mild accident and after several days, I started having problems with my right leg. It took several treatments to alleviate the condition.

So thankful that you are feeling well for now and that there were wonderful people to attend you at the time.

It is such a shock when something like that happens and then dealing with the insurance, and all the details is so annoying!

Again, so thankful you are OK and that there were no serious injuries.
Pamper yourself for a bit, you deserve it.

Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Froo, I HOPE you are still feeling OK! I know some injuries show up with pain sometime after a shock like you took! HOPE You are still relatively comfortable...! Let us know when you clear the doctor's appointment!

The day after a car accident, I could barely walk, my doctor said he could see the spasms along my spine... he told me what to expect! So, I know that IF you are doing OK this long... I sure HOPE that is a GOOD sign!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Wow, thankfully you weren't seriously injured!

Some people should not be driving Frown

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
yes, a friend on fb...this was a crazy week!

lol...just be glad you don't have to drive this road!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/4...ture=player_embedded

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo, as I read about your accident, I felt my chest tighten with all too familiar fear and anxiety. I am so glad you were protected from further injury, are being good to yourself and following up with any necessary care. It is so frightening to think about how tragic your accident could have been. Perhaps your dear brother was watching over you and keeping you safe. Hugs to you.

Maine Lady

Posts: 5721 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed your post earlier. In a rush and thought you were posting about an avant-garde, contemporary decorating style. Planned to check it out later -

Hope this finds you on the mend, Froo, and well past the delayed reaction, after the rush of adrenaline.

Take care -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonnaDGO
posted Hide Post
OH my, sorry to hear about your accident! It sounds very traumatic & here's hoping you feel better as each day goes by.

Posts: 1194 | Location: GA | Registered: Jun 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Feeling better by the day. Thanks. Tho I still have some chest pain when I lay down or bend, my doc says it's my muscles (where the air bag hit)and my bruising is still at it's peak. The good news that we learned today is that our car is totaled. I say this because our insurance will give us a check for the market value before it was hit and we'll shop for a new car soon. DH and I did not relish the idea of a repaired vehicle and it's reliability or resale value that would have been diminished due to the accident. Of course there is out of pocket money involved, but this outcome is the lesser of two evils.

posted Hide Post
Good to hear you are on the mend. Glad they totaled the car. When DH was hit from behind his car was toast. Considering the age of the vehicle, he rec'd a very good payout on the total. The value of the repair payout would not have been worth it for the reasons you state - reliability and resale.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Update, JC, we spent the bulk of yesterday car shopping and I drove the new car home at a considerable distance following DH. I have to say, I am super cautious and reluctant to drive it. DH was amazed at my negotiating skills as he usually handles that. We did do our homework on line and he did get the ball rolling, but I got the price down and sealed the deal. I am sure that I will come to enjoy driving over time. At least I got back on the horse. Wink

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
3 cheer for Froo on all counts~!

I am thrilled for you and sending good vibes too.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear you're back in the saddle!

Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness you're well after such a horrific event. Take care of yourself, for all of us!

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You ladies are the BEST! Smile

posted Hide Post
Driving will get better each time you go out to drive. As you know, the first time after an accident is the hardest and you're over that now. Nothing better than having the new car smell. Just glad you're okay.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
What kind of care did you buy Froo. Inquiring minds want to know. lol

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Lil, we are fans of Hyundai cars. The one I previously had was a Sonata, but they have increased in size since 2012, so we went a size down to the ELANTRA. It has nice bells and whistles, is a roomy enough size, handles the turns beautifully, comes with a generous warranty and importantly, gets wonderful gas milage and ranks high in safety tests. It is a 2013 and is dark gray.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Lil, we are fans of Hyundai cars. The one I previously had was a Sonata, but they have increased in size since 2012, so we went a size down to the ELANTRA. It has nice bells and whistles, is a roomy enough size, handles the turns beautifully, comes with a generous warranty and importantly, gets wonderful gas milage and ranks high in safety tests. It is a 2013 and is dark gray.

Awesome Froo, enjoy!!!

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Froo just seeing this. Bless your heart. Glad nothing to serious but that is just plain old scary stuff.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5703 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post