Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  New House Pictures!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New House Pictures! Sign In/Join 
posted
I took a few photos of my new house during the walk through yesterday.

I've got one more day here before I go back to Colorado. In the next two weeks my daughter will close on her house and I'll spend my time between helping her with renovations, babysitting the grandson, and trying to go through my things to figure out what else to get rid of before the movers come to pack us up.

The new house is 1100 sf smaller than my present home. The main level is open concept. Here are a few photos of the main level:

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the other end of the same room. I'm going to paint over the blue squares. They are not my style.

posted Hide Post
I have no idea why the sizes of my photos are so different.... but here's a view of the kitchen:

posted Hide Post
One more photo of the main living area:

posted Hide Post
There is a small den through the doorway (see photo above). This is the den:

posted Hide Post
So- as you can see.... large, open concept room (about 30+ feet long). Lovely, dark, hardwood floors and neutral paint. I can work with that.

I want to replace the existing curtains with sheers to let in more light and pretty much use the blinds just for privacy. I'll add panels to the outside edges to make the window look bigger- but not block out any of the light.

I'll keep the neutral paint for now, but paint over the blue squares at the far end. (I think they only accentuate the odd shape of the wall there)

I have the antique dining set (posted about that earlier) but have pretty much gotten rid of just about every other piece of furniture that might go in this space. Clean slate? Yeah....

I do need to find a location for the piano.

So.... go wild with your ideas! This could be fun!

posted Hide Post
My husband likes this color palette

posted Hide Post
I like this one

posted Hide Post
or this one

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, TQ: you've got a wonderful setting for a lovely home.

If this were my new home, the first thing I would do is lighten and brighten the kitchen: I'd paint the cabinets a soft warm white and replace the backsplash with simple ceramic tiles, perhaps subway tile or the arabesque type. And, I would replace the tile countertops with a solid surface material. Appliances can stay.

And, TQ, since you are an AWESOME DIYer, I'd encourage you to rework the island, ideally removing the bar counter and extending the countertop like a table, supported with gorgeous corbels or turned legs. Or, even adding extra cabinets underneath the counter extension. Oh, I'd also add pendant lights over the island.

The kitchen is the major focal point in the living/dining open plan, and to me, it needs some updating and an injection of vintage charm.

Posts: 5250 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
PS Your soft color palette would lend itself very well to a white painted kitchen, IMO.

posted Hide Post
And here I thought this house would be move in ready! Smile

Great ideas! and I definitely want to do something different with the tile counter tops. But for right now, I think I'll just settle in and enjoy the art of decorating and working around what is there.

I know... so not like me. I know I'll get into projects at some point, though.

posted Hide Post
Ah.... the painted cabinets dilemma! Truth is- I love white painted cabinets! I definitely prefer them over darker wood. But these cabinets are good quality, and were considered an upgrade when the home was built. It's so much easier to justify painting nondescript/lesser quality cabinets.

Yes, I know- this is my house now and I can do whatever I want (within reason). But I think I'd give my husband a heart attack if I went right for the paintbrush in the kitchen! Wink

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I like aychihuahua's suggestion for the island bar top.

In our house, we plan on taking out a straight and narrow bar top (it jets out from the opening over the sink into the Den) and doing what was suggested. We are going to round out the top with corbels for support in order to make the counter more conversation friendly (can face each other diagonally) and be more of a breakfast room type attached table top rather than a narrow strip with limited space.

And move-in ready means you CAN move in before you decide for sure what colors and changes you want to make. The place is really ready, clean and presentable to more in. Lucky YOU!

Nice place!

Posts: 9703 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomatoqueen:
Ah.... the painted cabinets dilemma! Truth is- I love white painted cabinets! I definitely prefer them over darker wood. But these cabinets are good quality, and were considered an upgrade when the home was built. It's so much easier to justify painting nondescript/lesser quality cabinets.

Yes, I know- this is my house now and I can do whatever I want (within reason). But I think I'd give my husband a heart attack if I went right for the paintbrush in the kitchen! Wink

I hear you, TQ! At least, your almost move-in ready home has gorgeous wood floors. Our latest home was covered in hideous carpeting, even in the bathrooms. DON'T ASK! There were other wonderful things about the house, which is why we bought it. We knew going in those carpets would be outta there. And, they were!

posted Hide Post
When (and if) you decide to replace the counters, I would make the top of the island all one height for two reasons: counter height stools are more comfortable than bar height and having the surface all on one level gives you a much more usable area.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
TQ, you have a very lovely new home to work with! Enjoy all of the upcoming decorating!!!

Posts: 3137 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TQ, I love both your color palettes. I prefer a touch of green in my blues.

Posts: 3393 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you, cant wait to see it furnished. Enjoy!

Posts: 4297 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
TQ,

Congrats on the next step in your relocation journey. It must be exciting for you to have a new space to decorate!

Love the middle palette selections. Good luck with your decorating and move!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9429 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck! The "nature" palette is very pretty and a good compromise.

Keep us posted (if you get a chance to catch your breath!). Smile

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
think I like your dh's pallet..for some reason lime green is so jarring...and with small spaces that i'd have to drop the navy and your black....not fond of open concept to the kitchen either, but it seems to done consistently these days...there are times I have been too tired to do the kitchen the way it should be if everyone can see it...

Posts: 8523 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what site do you go to for the color palettes? I could certainly use that guidance.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Nov 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
http://design-seeds.com/index.php/search

Cayosusa, hope that is what you wanted. You can do searches on there for colors you like, I LOVE this site! It is used all over Pinterest boards too!

Posts: 9703 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post