Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  UPDATED with PIC - What is wrong with my decor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATED with PIC - What is wrong with my decor? Sign In/Join 
posted
I just added these flush mount crystal lights to my entry in my living room, but it seems not to look right even though I loved the style. Should I change the sun burst metallic mirror and place all glass sunburst mirrors instead? Or is there anything else I should do? Please feel free to give your honest opinion....I won't get offended Smile I don't mind changing the rug, wall art, pillows. I just need to keep the sofas. The chairs can be changed too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sue3030,

Posts: 95 | Registered: Feb 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is another photo

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
My first thought was that the picture over the fireplace doesn't look right. Can't say why it doesn't, but other than that I like your space.

Posts: 9630 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The room is rather rigidly symetrical, so it looks more like commercial decorating like a fancy hotel lobby. Also the picture frame could be heavier and darker.It's a little wispy looking.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
What I see happening is that your focal point is a bit weak, and it is between two very strong circular wall pieces.

Besides the circular pieces being visually stronger than the art over the fireplace, they look like eyeballs. There are certain things that the human eye is strongly drawn to, and eyes are at the top of the list. So what happens is that our eyes are drawn back and forth between the two circular pieces, which creates a kind of confusion. Naturally we are looking for a place for the room to "start", in other words, a focal point, but we can't find it.

When Always1StepBehind says that the picture over the fireplace doesn't look right, but she can't say why, she is picking up on the confusion created by a weak focal point flanked by two stronger distractions.

To correct this problem you need to strengthen the focal point which should be the fireplace and the art above it. The art will strengthen the focal point if it is bigger, or a deeper or brighter color, or if it had a more substantial frame.

I would also probably move the sunburst mirrors to another part of the house, perhaps grouping them together.

Posts: 7200 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for he advice...I had such a hard time finding art for above the fireplace. I liked the picture and colors in this print, but your right the frame is weak. Anyone know a place besides Michael's that frames art for a good price? Also, the part about the round metal art looking like eyes is so funny! I never thought of it that way, but its so true! Lol. Do you think the ceiling lights look good? Do you think if I replace the metal round art with these glass mirrors would look good? I would also reframe the art above the fireplace.

posted Hide Post
I'm in Los Angeles by the way...Burbank area

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
If you are on a budget for framing, and you are a little bit handy, you can search out a frame with a big profile at a thrift shop and using a miter saw cut it down to the size you need.

posted Hide Post
Do you think these mirrors will still look like eyes and is it not right to replace the metal round art? What are some suggestions?

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I think the ceiling lights do look good.

As far as the mirrored sunburst pieces...it is hard to tell just from your photo. If they are smaller by a few inches across than the picture over the fireplace is high, then they might work.

The thing to watch with mirrors is that they reflect, and what they reflect becomes like a picture in a frame. If you have nondescript wall reflected sometimes a round mirror can look like a porthole or a hole in the wall. Just be sure to think that through.

Also maybe you could bring home a selection of alternative things for the wall, and try them out, and return what you don't use. (That's what I do) Sometimes you can't tell until you see something in place if it will be right. I am wondering if some sketches, line drawings, or small watercolors might be more interesting than the mirrors.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Sue,

Coco is a designer and has given you some great advice. It was interesting to me and I'm sure to everyoone who reads this post.

Your room is lovely.

Posts: 8007 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neck was starting to hurt ;-)

Posts: 9630 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you Always! I had to turn my laptop sideways to look at the pictures. Frown

Posts: 529 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that I can see the room right side up, I like most of what you have so far. The wall colour is pretty! The starburst mirrors are nice, but they take away from the current picture over the mantel. Is there any way you could add a deeper shelf on top of the mantel? Then you could display some of the items I see hiding on those side tables. The picture over the fireplace, even with a larger frame would look lost. Start by finding something with presence to it and replace the smaller picture. I could see a large oil painting with a larger width, dark stained frame. Another choice could be a collection of botanical prints framed in dark wood. Ebay or a local consignment shop may have just what you need. After you adjust the art, step back and see if the mirrors still detract from the focal point. It might be that you will need to relocate them, but maybe not.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure, and ditto to what everyone else said, but I just want you to know that it's a lovely room and the floors are gorgeous Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
I like your room. It looks beautiful and calming. Maybe lower the round art work and frame your pic in a color pulled from a dark color in your decor.

Posts: 512 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the advice! I think I'm going to change the new entry lights I purchased...they don't look right with my decor anymore. I also think I should find a stronger and larger art piece above the fireplace like many of you suggested. Those mirrors do look strange in he photos and I will probably have to change those as well. I'm still stuck on what to place in the place of the round mirrors Frown Any suggestions??

posted Hide Post
Lovely room and neutral base to work with, Sue!

Instead of purchasing another art piece or accessory for over the f/p, how about injecting warmth into the room by hanging something more personal in that area? For example, you might consider a homemade quilted panel (quilter), antique widget (collector) or antique skis or snowshoes (skier), i.e. whatever suits both your family and style of the room/home.

Agree, you do need a larger item to enhance the f/p focal point. Before selecting anything, I would also make architectural changes, e.g. molding and a mantle.

In fact, I would also consider incorporating a mantle into a focal wall. Not sure if floor-to-ceiling works b/c of the pitched ceiling and f/p wall height but you might think about a combo of open shelving and closed storage on both sides of the f/p to the mantle's height.

Above the focal wall/storage, again on both sides, instead of the round mirrors, how about sconces for ambient lighting? Do you have a lighting plan? Have you considered a chandelier or other central hanging light? Corner hanging lights to utilize those areas, possibly for a reading nook?

WRT your hallway lights, for me, it depends on the flow within your home. They do appear large and might detract from your desired focal point, i.e. the f/p. Have you thought about flush-mounted, less noticeable lights?

How about a beam to highlight your ceiling pitch? (It could probably also be used to hide a chandelier or hanging fixture's wiring.) Other architectural changes?

WRT your colors, the neutral base is great but I would consider adding contrast with at least one accent color. When I check out your photos (and it could the photo, itself), the combo of the rug, f/p marble or tile and art piece appears very similar in color. Unfortunately, to my eye, it blends together.

I would probably remove the curtain panels b/c it appears that the rod cuts off and shortens the wall. Instead, you may wish to highlight your ceiling height with architectural enhancements.

Can't tell if you have anything else on the windows for privacy. You may wish to use light, airy, custom shades - if/when the budget allows.

JMHO and hope one of these items helps you. Good luck with your beautiful room and home!

P.S. Given the photos' perspectives, not sure exactly where your ceiling's pitch lands. A center beam may not make sense or work with the lighting. You could also consider molding in certain areas. Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Just a couple of suggestions for your room. Mock up different sizes of cardboard to see what size and shape works for the FP.

Try a square shape and see if you like that instead of the rectangle there now.

Also you can leave the mirror spaces empty and let the FP be the focal point. Nothing says you have to fill every available wall space.

The trim on the FP seems small for the size of your room and FP. Try adding something larger. Again you can mock up with cardboard to get and idea as to sizes.

Try adding some color on the two chairs with a pillow. You can simply bring those pretty green ones on the sofa.

Can the drapery rods be extended out from the brackets? I usually install them so they are 3-6 inches out from the window. It opens the window space a bit more. Also let the panels hang down straight for a different look. Are they lined? Can you add lining perhaps?

Here a couple of pics that show a different style of WT.

You have a beautiful room and the furniture has always been a favorite for me. Enjoy the process and try different things. You will find the right fit for you.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9460 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Another one although not a fan of puddles in drapes.

Good luck on your decisions!

pic

posted Hide Post
thank you all for he great advice. So many different opinions! You guys are awesome. I am including photos that may show the space better. unfortunately I can't really place the curtains that high up on the window because my ceiling slopes and its also close to the wall on one side, as you see it in my new photos. Also it's so difficult to figure out what to do with my huge wall from one end to the other...someone suggested a mantel, but I already have one...it's white and narrow so you can't really place bulky objects there. I know someone suggested I buy taller furniture to place where the round starburst are. Are there Anymore ideas? Should I paint the whole wall a deeper color or should I get molding from Home Depot and make shapes on the walls? Keep them coming! Thanks a million! Anything else not looking great?

posted Hide Post
Here are more photos for a better look.

posted Hide Post
And another

posted Hide Post
Hi Sue,

Couldn't see your french doors in the previous photos. Assumed both sides were arched windows.

I would normally square off an arched window by hanging panels above it. Suggested removing them instead (previous post) because of the smaller size of that wall and the pitch and angles in your ceiling.

For your arched window, if/when the budget allows, I would consider obtaining a custom soft (e.g. bubble) shade with an interior mount, matched to your neutral paint color. The monochromatic tones should make the space feel larger.

How much privacy do you need outside of the french doors?

I made suggestions for a f/p focal wall in my previous post - if you're interested.

Good Luck!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Sue,

If you Edit your post pics you will most likely receive more responses to your questions.

Simply rotate your pics 90 degrees so they are up right, then RE-Save them in your photo system.

Hit the eraser button on your post and you will see your original post come up. Edit out the current pic with the newly saved one.

It will edit the pic orientation. Not sure why they are posting sideways. Could be iphone or ipad?

Good luck!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
glad the ladies addressed the curtains..in this more formal setting i do like the idea of drapws in a heavier fabric...do you use the room very much?

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! I am using and iPhone, but I don't know why they are being posted sideways?! It's strange because I'm taking the pictures right side up. I'll try to repost. I can't tell using my iPad or iPhone. So are the recent photos I just posted all sideways as well?

posted Hide Post
You can see everything right side up now! I don't know why in the world that happened with my iphone, but I fixed it. I would love to have an interior designer come and help me with my house. I live in Los Angeles county near Burbank. How do you go about finding a good interior decorator? I found some who have websites and I didn't like their designs. Any suggestions on fixing my space or on a designer? THanks!

posted Hide Post
Hi Sue3030,

I love your house and the elements you have chosen are gorgeous! I agree with CharlesD that it is too symmetrical. I think you should try to shake things up, rearrange some things to make specialized seating areas, unless you really need to make one big seating area of the four pieces. Also, I really love the sunburst and the chandelier, they are so unique and elegantly shocking. When you have two, however, they become less unique and it takes away from the shock value. Is there a configuration where you can remove one of each? Or, with less furniture symmetry the two sunbursts might work, but I would definately only keep one chandelier.

You might also try some bursts of color in throw pillows or other knick knacks.

Keep us posted!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jesinaj,

Design Dreamer

Posts: 5 | Location: Homewood, IL | Registered: May 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Some people just HAVE to have symmetry...I'm one who also prefers balance to asymmetry...so if that's what you need, don't change it. I might try pulling the console tables closer to the fireplace as they are darker and will help to make the focal wall more prominent. Then, to balance their darkness, darker framed art over them as well as something darker over the fireplace. I would also add lamps to the consoles and bring the art down closer to the tables...only a few inches above.

Even if all you do is move the tables, lower the mirrors (can you antique the frames?) and add lamps, it will help.

ETA: Just took another look...you do have one lamp but it's too small...you need something that makes a statement. As well, the mirrors are pretty dark already but they are way too high...I still think I'd prefer artwork in that location...something more solid to fill the wall space.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belstone,

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3653 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. This is the look I was going for, but it didn't really come out as good and high end as I'd like to have.

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Sue, What do you think about the pic in the link below? I thought about your post when I saw that just now. I think with your inspiration pic, the bookcases are low and the sofas hide them. Maybe if you did taller etageres, it would look better.

http://www.mariakillam.com/201...edaydecorating.html/

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of noraj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sue3030:
And another
Take away the sunbursts..they just do not work.
Make picture larger, as said by others, make it larger with a wider colored frame. Also change color of mat. Draw out a color from picture for matting (on my PC it looks like mauve).
Think about painting the frame around F/P the same color as the face of F/P.
No need for stuff on left wall, just set a taller lamp on table on left side of F/P.
All the furniture looks fine.
I agree that entry lights just do not look right.
Have no replacements in mind but there is bound to be something that will look good.
Oh, remove blooms on the willow branches.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: noraj,

Posts: 1649 | Registered: Oct 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your room looks gorgeous!

The only thing that jumped out at me was that the round mirrors were hung too high.

I agree with the others that the picture above the fireplace needs a little something or something entirely different. Maybe something with some bold color?

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something over the fireplace with green in it.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
I'm way late on this one, but I agree about the focal point, art above fireplace. Also, just the fireplace itself. It looks like it doesn't have a mantle, but just trim. Can you put in a more substantial mantle and beef up the trim?

And the circular things, my first thought before reading about the eyeball thing was that they needed to be hung much lower. Lower, by a few feet even. The tops of the mirrors don't have to match with the top of the fireplace art.

I love the light fixtures and everything looks really neutral and pretty. Ah, to have a house like that! Would you ever add more colorful pillows? Smile

Posts: 3376 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I love that pic! you are right, it looks very nice. It's symmetrical but not too much. And I think the single center table grounds the design (even though the chairs are placed symmetrically also). Try moving the two chairs to the sides so you can see the center table... or even creating another small seating area elsewhere with the chairs and a side table.

Design Dreamer

Posts: 5 | Location: Homewood, IL | Registered: May 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
The lights do not hang low enough..but.. the thing that is really out of place is that Eiffel tower thing. The Paris trend went out 2 years ago. I hate seeing it pop up as it was SO over used by teenagers.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
Can I jump into this conversation- I think the room looks really nice.

my 2 cents worth: I think the area where the picture is above the fireplace needs a little more presence. It needs to be beefed up a bit.

I also am not a fan of the 2 arm chairs....not sure what or how useful they are. I think they make the room look super formal and not at all like a place to sit and visit...without it, I think it would look very inviting, like home.

again, just my 2 cents worth Smile

Posts: 1710 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
OK so I lowered the round mirrors like many had suggested and I changed the art above the fireplace with these two different art I found. I used candles on the sides of one of them since it seemed too narrow. It still doesn't seem to flow. What do you guys think I should do? Do you like any of the art? Different art? Remove the round mirrors? I would love more suggestions. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
more art

posted Hide Post
...more

posted Hide Post
Should I get rid of the sofa tables under the mirrors and put taller cabinets? I also don't want the room to look too heavy with furniture though.

posted Hide Post
First I like your room but have some suggestions. Take the round mirrors down completely. (I am going by the last picture). Put the little round table with the aqua vase (that is by the window) between the two chairs, which should be pointed directly toward the fireplace. Now, the two tables you have under the round mirrors....I would put one at the end of the couch and put a lamp on it. The other table that you have candle sticks on, I would put behind the couch (side with the little round table) and put a nice plant on it (will get light from the window). As for art over the fireplace, Size of the last picture is good but hung up on the wall and then maybe the Eiffel tower on one side and a fat candle on the other side on the mantel..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1538 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
In addition to May's suggestions, I think some nice glass and metal etageres would be really nice. If you have an Ikea nearby, they have some for not a lot of money. I really like your new pictures--probably leaning towards the second.

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Love the first piece of art you posted, the one with the trees. The piece is a good size and it is strong enough to create a focal point, and the piece has a level of sophistication that goes with your furniture.

The eyeball mirrors still bug me. My eyes play ping-pong going back and forth between them. They are very very distracting, and I would love to see them gone.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
There are some framers online that are very very reasonable, you could keep existing glass and insert and just order frame that way. I think I used one actually on ebay once....would have cost 200$ at Michaels but only cost 55$ for a frame and plexiglass.

My first instinct is to loose the wall mirrors and not sure what to replace with but after just having a mantel and surround built whereas I had an expanse of brick with some molding prior it really gave a focal point and statement...your room is a nice size and could support a more substantial wood mantel and surround legs...if you did that you probably would need to rethink size of art or frame of above to fit scale.

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7341 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sheetmoss
posted Hide Post
Just creating some panels--either w/wood or paint, would create a focal point.

Jim

"More is more, less is a bore,"

Posts: 4978 | Location: chicago | Registered: Dec 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sheetmoss
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea for your front window.

"More is more, less is a bore,"

Posts: 4978 | Location: chicago | Registered: Dec 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post