Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Fabric & Furniture before Paint
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fabric & Furniture before Paint Sign In/Join 
Picture of wendek
posted
I just read that decorators should plan out their room with furniture and fabrics *before* they choose the paint. aawwww, and I just spent all that time looking at paint chips.

Have you run into problems picking paint before fabrics?

(I actually already have the bedding I'm going to use though)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wendek,

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
The only time I've experienced regret was when I had my heart set on something--which is rare.

Posts: 4449 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends and sometimes the paint does get chosen first. For instance, if a client is building a home and hasn't purchased their furnishings yet, the paint color has to be decided on to stay on schedule. Or, if the wall color (generally something bold) is going to be the main design element, the paint gets chosen first.

As Charles D mentioned on another thread, it is usually best to choose the items that give you the least number of choices at the beginning. In that case, I usually like to pick the area rug first, fabrics second and paint last.

Posts: 3311 | Registered: Jul 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
If you already have your bedding and your paint goes with that, you should be OK wendek.

But since you have just been looking at chips, it sounds like you haven't painted yet, so why not get the furnishings and fabrics figured out and then choose a paint to compliment all of that. Think of paint as the backdrop that will make everything else look really good.

Posts: 7161 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help its true, I'm still in the gathering stage. So I'll be sure what furniture and curtains I put in there first.

Is there a trick to figuring if a color has pink or yellow or blue in it?

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in an office with a total of 12 designers. I just asked each one, and they all said the same thing. Paint color last.

Posts: 1775 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we moved into this house. Painted the bedroom first. Didn't like color and it needed painting. Then went on search for curtains/drapes and bedspread. Like to have not found anything to go with paint color! I was really limited and hope to not to make that mistake again.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6259 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Of course there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, I find that one should draw scheme inspiration from fabrics,papers, or tile work. .BTW, fabrics include area rugs. One should ALWAYS keep these things on mind when deciding on a wall color and it's value even if contemplating neutrals...contrast to furnishings, natural and artificial lighting, undertones, any built in or natural elements, trim, flooring, and the feel they seek.

Too often we read a common dilemma on these boards regarding painting first and furnishing second. Though we'd most likely prefer to paint a new space BEFORE furnishing it for convince, we may find it more challenging to tie that wall color into our furnishing choices. Though it is NOT an impossible task, we may become frustrated causing some to second guess their initial choice and/or repaint and this can also drag the project out longer than anticipated. I know because I once faced the challenging task of find wallpaper to match the color my DH painted above a chair rail as he, for some unknown reason, could not paint beneath the chair rail. Tho I was successful in this challenge, it is not a practice I would encourage. Choices are limited for one thing.

I feel that novice decorators will undoubtably find it not only easier to draw a color from an inspirational print in the room (or adjoining room), but the end result will help to ensure a professional and cohesive looking space. Again, if circumstances prohibit this, then proceed in careful, well thought out steps toward pulling the space together. You can achieve success either way.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone.

Since I am the worst in figuring out what color a color actually is, I may need a professional for this before I go any farther.

back to the drawing board. Big Grin
I started a board on Pinterest to help me sort out the details. I'm happy to be planning and decorating again.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Wende,

Agree with others. Choose the furniture and items for the room and then select paint. I have done the paint selection first with my last re-do. I was lucky to stumble on "the" fabric for the room that worked with the color. Real lucky!

Try chips with your chosen items to see which ones work. Usually a better or worse scenario happens. Of course, then you need to paint swatches to tell if the color works for you.

Good luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9429 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your new color scheme Wendek, I know you will share with us when it's done.

While I understand the concept of beginning with an inspirational piece I've always chosen paint colors first altho have never decorated any room from 'scratch'. Always had some furniture which helps with the paint selection altho have often later added fabrics or rugs. Really serendipitous when I bought new area rugs a few years ago that the colors were perfect with the wall color.

I sometimes think I'd like to start with a print fabric and choose a color scheme that way. Since I prefer not to have colors match perfectly it likely works either way for me tho.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12714 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Wende,

Just wanted to add that sometimes you can work with complimentary color schemes instead of trying to match colors. Choose a color that works with your inspiration piece.

Posts: 9429 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw an interview with some top designers who said that an important place to start besides the fabrics and colours should be your carpet. If it is going to be plain, solid-coloured - it can be neutral or done later. But, if you have your heart set on an Indian, Persian, very modern design etc. etc., buy that first and pull the colours you use for fabrics and paint from the colours in the rug.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Smile I will probably keep the carpet neutral when I replace it. It is now, too.

I definitely like a monochrome room but some of my furniture pieces are dark woods. Hmm lots to still think about. Smile

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
make up a sample baggy! leave it in the car! did that, saved us big time! I had snips of carpeting, paint samples and, at one time, a drawer front, lol...later I added snips from the sofa (look inside a cushion zipper) it was a really tiny piece but enough to help with color selections...

Posts: 8521 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Cool idea sjf, I should do that. Pictures don't always translate the color as well.

I stopped at the paint store and found they came out with new paint colors, but the good news is the original color I picked out was their most neutral, go with everything, best sold color. Yay. But he let me take home their new stack so I've just doubled my options. Smile Frown

it felt good to hear him say that color is in the eye of the beholder when I asked how can you tell if it's pinkish, blueish or yellow. It only mattered my eyeballs and the light in the rooms. I don't feel so color blind now.

Anyway, I'm going to review the paint chips against the principles in the room and go from there. Smile thanks to everyone's help here too.

Here's the before... builder white walls.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joyluck:

While I understand the concept of beginning with an inspirational piece I've always chosen paint colors first altho have never decorated any room from 'scratch'. Always had some furniture which helps with the paint selection altho have often later added fabrics or rugs. Really serendipitous when I bought new area rugs a few years ago that the colors were perfect with the wall color.

I sometimes think I'd like to start with a print fabric and choose a color scheme that way. Since I prefer not to have colors match perfectly it likely works either way for me tho.

That's always been my m.o., Lucky. And it has always worked because I like muted background colors for my walls, usually in warm mid-toned neutrals, and matching is not an issue for me, either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5250 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Here's my "after I changed the curtains" pic.
the only thing I've done so far is hang some yellow ish curtains in the room. it feels lighter already, although still deciding on paint colors...

I know I need to change out the lamp shades too.

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I'll start w/ a color in mind. I wanted red in my DR. Then I went on the hunt for fabric, knowing i'd probably have to tweak my red. Found my fabric. My mom was visiting one weekend and I decided to give her a "project" and asked her to go find me a reddish color that would go w/ the fabric. She came back w/ something completely unique and actually much better than what I had originally planned.

I do try to have most of my pieces together before i start painting though.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5581 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Out on a limb, I'm going to try that. Work with what I've got and go from there. I did that in my family room a few years ago and I'm still happy with the results. Get the big parts, and add the little pieces as I go.

I've been looking at tan/teal/aqua rooms on houzz and pinterest but not too sure about painting the bathroom an aqua color. The master room opens right into the bathroom.

looking for a smooth soothing color.