Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  opinion plz...carpet remnant in garage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

opinion plz...carpet remnant in garage? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
I have a one car DETACHED garage that I don't park in. I park in open outdoor spot next to my garage.

My brother is giving us an air hockey table and it will go in the garage. The garage is NOT a nice cement floor garage like most would piture. The ground inside is asphalt. Should I consider putting a rug remnant to fit most of the garage or just ground bare?

No rug would be easier for sweeping out etc. A rug might be kinda nice to make it feel like another room for the kids to hang out etc. But then I'd have to sweep or vacuum rug.

Last, do you think a rug over the asphalt would affect the asphalt in a negative way any?

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of placing a rug there and would probably find a remnant that fits most of the space. Have the edges bound though. It will make this "game room" more comfortable and would buffer noise to a degree also. I doubt it would have a negative impact on the asphalt.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a rug is a great idea and the asphalt should be fine. I do have one comment to make.
YOU have to sweep or vacuum rug???? No, no, no, my dear, your kids are old enough to sweep or vacuum. My son loved to vacuum from age 4 on, probably does a better job than me (LOL). It's their playspace, their responsibility!

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I think a large rug would be perfect for the garage. It will give the space a little style with the game table in the space,.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My mom used to put down a carpet for the grand kids to play on in her garage. It was nice and comfortable. She would take it up in the winter months though. Concrete can be damp, and she didn't want it to mildew.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of homebody4
posted Hide Post
I would use an indoor/outdoor rug. These won't mildew and you can scrub them. Also inexpensive, and durable.

Posts: 1494 | Location: united states | Registered: May 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
How about those rubbery/jigsaw puzzle pieces of interlocking cushion pads? They can be picked up, switched around if worn or soiled, wiped clean and are not very expensive. Sam's or Costco often carry them.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I would paint the floor first (after really good cleaning) then use that paint floor finish made for garages. Let it cure... THEN, have the carpet bound around edges and use in the center and put game on it.

This will give you sound absorption and comfort underfoot when playing. With the floor (as I stated above) that clean, kids can play in their socks!

I like the interlocking puzzle pieces that conrad mentioned. we bought a few for the floor in our one-car (will never see a car in there) garage for DH to stand on when working in there. Helps with cushion.

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I don't think painting asphalt would be a good idea..Plus there is some oil/grease from the previous owner on the ground. It dont know how well the cushion type pads would hold up during the summer when it gets really hot inside the garage. I think carpet would be ideal.

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You can paint asphalt...the highway roads department do it all the time. One can normally buy traffic marking paint by the 5 gallon buckets. Comes in white, yellow and blue.

Friends did it to their asphalt tennis court and it held up fine for many years. (Handicap marking blue field with white out of bounds stripe markings)Wink

The cushion pads are not expensive, and one would not need to move the table to lay them in place nor clean them, as you can put them together like a puzzle around the table.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post