Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Please help me redecorate my living room!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me redecorate my living room! Sign In/Join 
posted
I really need ideas for redecorating my living room. I am planning on keeping the couch and the chase lounge,and mirror. I want to get a new rug, side tables, lamps, and wall decor. I also need ideas for a color scheme, curtains, coffee table, etc. Any ideas would be extremely helpful! Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

In any case, draw scheme inspiration from fabrics. Since you're in the market for a new rug, that's a great start. Find one large enough to anchor your conversational grouping in a pattern and colors you love. A touch of the upholstery color in the rug will help unify all, but not an absolute must if the furniture is neutral. Once you add the rug, look it will guide you toward wall color, window treatments, throw pillows, etc. Your space craves print and color interest and the rug, being a large field will rev up your space. Factor in your adjoining spaces in terms of colors used in the living room too. There should be a degree of flow of scheme tho every color, value or predominance need be maintained.

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
In addition, relocate the mirror as it is not reflecting anything worth doubling. A gallery of prints or one large piece of art behind the sofa would work much better there.
Address your lighting at various levels in this space too. A glass topped coffee table could come in handy or perhaps a chest for storage if preferred. Drapery panels along the whole window wall will soften that area, give the illusion of a larger window and add color upward too. Do not conceal what looks like a lovely water view however.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
are you keeping the same tv and entertainment center? you might paint it to add a block of color...I've seen sooo many pretty rugs lately! i'd be hard pressed to chose...but kind of fun? keeping with the classic leather, have you ever considered an oriental? they have some faux ones at Costco, that were very reasonable...

as for lamps? the older I get the less I like table lamps and like floor with the overhead for reading...love froo froo's suggestion for the window treatment. if I had my way and privacy, i'd have windows bare...but that can rarely happen!

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to get a new rug, side tables, lamps, and wall decor. I also need ideas for a color scheme, curtains, coffee table, etc. Any ideas would be extremely helpful!

Whew what a lot of information needed! I'll be glad to see Kbarnes response to the information posted so far!

Posts: 12226 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Do I see a patio table beyond the sliders? If so, center it out there by the railing and place a very large fern or perhaps a colorful Fall mum on it. It will draw the eye outside and make your room seem bigger Smile

Posts: 2800 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaitlynC
posted Hide Post
Hi there! Sometimes when I need some inspiration I go to Polyvore to check out the different sets and mood boards. Here are some living room examples: http://polyv.re/1693W4g

There are a lot of retailers included in Polyvore's shop so you can check out a wide verity of furniture.

I hope you are able to find some inspiration! =)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CaitlynC,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post