Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Thinking of replacing dd's full bed with something smaller...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of replacing dd's full bed with something smaller... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
First let me see if attaching a pic from iPad will work before I go anymore further.

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok...that was easy. I'm thinking doing more like a sitting are for dd's side of the Ron but still
having something she can sleep on. So we are kicking around futon,daybed or a twin bed instead of her full sized bed. I don't know comfortable this would be with the dip from where it folds.

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This other one is nice looking too.

posted Hide Post
Open

posted Hide Post
For comfort I would go with a twin size bed.

No experience with daybeds, so don't know if they are as comfortable as a twin.

Twin bed can be dressed like a daybed. Big bolster type pillow along with other pillows. A fitted type cover.

Just my opinion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6173 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
I would not do that. She is only going to get older and bigger so that would not be comfortable for her in the long run.

Posts: 4294 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strings, a day bed uses a twin size mattress. I wouldnt mind a daybed if it had a "couch" look.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get anything that opens up everynight, and has to close up in the morning.

When I was 16, my mom married and there was no room in my stepdad's tiny place. I was in the living room on a foldout sofa. Every night, when I was already exhausted, and morning after a bad night's sleep... where's that "cry" icon???

I think a Twin is fine for many years to come. After all, a King is only 2 Long Twins put together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Indexlady,

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
This is a cute room.

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the record, I loved my parents and loved my Mother very much. But here I am, over 50 yrs later and I can't forgive her for replacing my full size bed with a twin when she bought me a new bedroom set! It was so bad that I didn't have any twin size beds in my homes until last year when I put a daybed with trundle in my guest room, just in case. My son, who lives in California, would rather sleep on the couch instead of the twin bed (the couch is REALLY comfortable!). A fold out, no way. And by replacing the full with a twin, you only gain about 14", certainly not enough to scar a child for life LOL!

Posts: 1926 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with futons has been less than desirable. Unless you are a little kid or its used only as a backup for a couple of days a year, they are most uncomfortable. Get a twin and outfit it as suggested above, or perhaps a day bed with trundle underneath. Our futon gets used occasionally when the grands visit us in Fl and by the time it opens up its almost the same size as a full bed.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Indexlady. It's such a hassle to open and close a bed everynight. She will tire of it quickly.

Very cute room Annie, love it Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4585 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thing is she doesn't sleep in her bed. She sleeps with me. But she always hangs out on my side of the room because its neater. I'm thinking if I make her side like a mini living room she will stay on her side..but I still want her to have a bed of some sort...I'm gonna have to get on the computer-I can't see Annie's picture and I know it's good..they always are

posted Hide Post
Being that your daughter doesn't sleep in her own room but rather sleeps with you, she must still be very young or something.
But not too long from now she will likely be having girlfriends sleep over and you might want to encourage that kind of healthy system by putting twin beds in her room.
The nice thing about twin beds is, if you want to make them into a double all you have to do is push them together just like they do in hotels and such.
Best of all, having her own room will give her a sense of her own individuality.
Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arepo:
Being that your daughter doesn't sleep in her own room but rather sleeps with you, she must still be very young or something.
But not too long from now she will likely be having girlfriends sleep over and you might want to encourage that kind of healthy system by putting twin beds in her room.
The nice thing about twin beds is, if you want to make them into a double all you have to do is push them together just like they do in hotels and such.
Best of all, having her own room will give her a sense of her own individuality.
Good luck with your decision.

We share the masterbedroom. I took out the master closet and the closet from the 2nd bedroom to make one long bedroom and I use 2 portable closets as a room divider. DD has one side and I have the other.

DD is 12 and she likes to sleep with me which doesn't bother me.

When she has someone stay over they sleep in the living room. I don't do sleepovers often if all because I can't sleep unless everyone is in bed and quiet...so for me it's not worth the loss of sleep for either of my kids to have someone sleepover..They can come over and spend ALL day and evening, but I'd rather they go home so I can get a good nights sleep. That's just me.

Although I know she will need to sleep in her own bed eventually, I was tyring to think of a way to may her side more usable now. I know everyone complains about a rectangle room hard to arrange furniture, even a pretty square area isn't that easy.

I will keep my eye out for a daybed that has a "couch look" and go from there. Her full mattress can go in sons room as he would have been in line for a new mattress anyways and DD's full mattress is pretty new.

Thanks Annie for that inspiration pic, I have that one saved too!!!

posted Hide Post
This is sorta of cool idea...Almost makes the bed look like a built in piece of furniture. OH and I've seen really cool vinyl at the upholstery outlet place near me!!

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Here is another one. Wish I had a better pic. The panels have nailhead trim.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I like the twin with wall panels as you posted (the photo showing the black one with orange coverlet). Looks like a classy day bed, and nicer to roll over towards than the bare wall.

I would only like to mention that everyone has their own perception of privacy and comfort. FIND out what hers is and do that! No need to try and customize her room if she is not getting her own space that she would love to spend time in and actually use.. Perhaps adding a privacy curtain also? (light blocking so she could read at night if she can't sleep and not disturb you). Just a suggestion.

If there is only one way out of the room, and she has to pass you, she might feel trapped on the other side of the room, perhaps it could be rearranged?

SIT her down and talk to her about her room and what she would like (reasonable of course).

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Those are THEE most uncomfortable things to sleep on that I have ever experienced!! I realize that I am old, fat, w/ a bad back, etc...

There is a metal bar that goes thru the "hinge" and it make it uncomfy to use the entire thing to sleep on.

I'd rather sleep on a twin bed...futons are ok for a nite or so - but I wouldn't think it'd be good for a long term.

But then, I'm not 12...

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5547 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
When ,my 2 DD's were preteens,I bought them a metal fulton bed.The oldest DD slept on the bottom fulton mattress pad. She always complained of feeling the metal bars under the mattress pad.She had and has bad back problems.She's 26 now.She would always complain every morning B4 school.
When we bought our house 1st thing was buying them new full size beds.That way they had privacy.
My advice NO to the click clack bed too.Bought the DD#2 one for her 1st apt.She had issues with it and back pain.The older your DD gets she will change her mind & you too one day.Smile And it will be best for you both.

In the end it's up to you Mom & her.Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Posts: 2993 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, who knew twin beds were so horrible! I slept in one my entire life until I graduated college - all of my college dorms had twin beds. All four of my kids have twin beds and I've never heard a complaint from anyone. In fact, I think my 8 y/o has the most comfortable bed in the house - it's all about the mattress. I suppose if you are a bigger person or if you move around all night, a twin might be uncomfortable, but that isn't an issue with any of us. Dh and I have a king and quite honestly, when we are actually sleeping, we are on separate sides of the bed. But really, I can't imagine being upset at having to sleep in a twin bed as a child/teen.

Always, it sounds like your dd would be fine having a twin bed since she is already sharing a bed with you. My 14 y/o slept in a double bed up until last year. Her room is small and it was taking up too much space. Even though the double wasn't that much bigger than a twin, it really did overtake her small space and we wanted something that would be more comfortable for when she and friends were hanging out in her room. We ended up getting the IKEA hemnes daybed and she loves it. While I'm not a big fan if IKEA furniture, this bed is very nicely designed and very sturdy. It comes with three storage drawers underneath (great for small spaces!). The drawers move in and out individually but are contained in a larger "drawer" that pulls out like a trundle. You can then put a mattress on top, converting it to a king size bed or two twins. The extra mattress can either be stored separately or go on top of the daybed mattress. IOW, my dd's bed, which doesn't have a box spring, has two mattresses stacked on top of each other - they are thinner than a normal mattress but you can either use one or both, depending on what you want. Even if you never plan to use the bed with a trundle (we never have as my dd sleeps in our basement when she has sleepovers), it is still a great bed. She likes how it's more like a couch and she loves having the drawers for storage since her room is small. Here is a link to the bed. I will try to post a picture of dd's actual bed later. Anyway, just an idea for you to consider.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30080316/

Posts: 1194 | Location: Annapolis, Maryland | Registered: Sep 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, who knew twin beds were so horrible! I slept in one my entire life until I graduated college - all of my college dorms had twin beds.

Yes, my dorm had them too and there was a LOT of sleeping going on!! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Annie..Again I bow down to you, another great picture!!

Merella..there was a daylike like that Ikea on listed on CL. I like that sytle.

I think most are saying after having a full sized bed, she isn't going to want to go back to a twin. Which is probably true. I was trying to convince son to go back from his full to a twin (to give hime more space in his room) but he wasn't interested...

But I agree 100% a kid can stay in a twin for many years or even till adult if needed...UNLESS they were super tall, then that might be an issue.

So that is why I'm trying to sell DD on the change so that she has a "sitting area" or "a mini living room" but would still have something she can use for sleeping.

In regards to privacy, Im only in the shared bedroom when it's time for bed. I'm in the living room in the evening till it's time to go to sleep.

DD has just started spending more time in the room. She would always say she was scared to be in there alone so she would be attached to me in the living room. But now that she has her ipad and can facetime, instagram etc etc she is now finally hanging out in the bedroom.

We cleaned up her room this weekend, took off extra pillows from her bed and basically decluttered...It seems alot of extra crap around makes it hard to function in on her side.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
A fun idea might be to put a coffee table in front of the day bed to make it seem like a sitting room...

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
another daybed style?

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wendek: that is exactly what I proposed to DD. She could use the coffee table to do homework or anything else she needs flat surface for.

I like something like this, not too deep, sorry bad picture off of CL.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Totally great idea! Nice table.
kids like a flat space for their projects and homework. I took the bunk bed apart last year but left the back railing on, so one twin is like a day bed and my daughter chose that bed for sleeping. We pile the pillows and stuffed toys on during the day and sometimes she sleeps with all the animals too. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I like this for her tv and all her cr@p...

But her tv is on a dresser right now, so then I'd have to figure out folded clothes storage.

she needs someplace to do hair (and make up eventually. Right now she comes over to my side of the room and does her her at my dresser/mirror.

I guess now that we have her room sorta pared down from clutter we can play around with ideas.

Love all the inspiration pic's, keep them coming. I will take some current pic's of the space so you can see what we are dealing with.

Thanks everyone.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
This is cute, the daybed looks so comfy.

my pictures

Posts: 4585 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That idea is perfect sophie..not necessarily that color or rolled arm style but that is exactly what I am want, something that works for a sitting area, yet can be used to sleep on.

Not that I would do something like this, this is a great space saving idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Iknow it is Always, just so cute. Would be great for your DD. Wish you could find something like that.

And that space saving idea you found, is pretty cool. And does save a lot of space. Those beds with the wheels, do remind me of a hospital though. lol

posted Hide Post
I am really excited about this. I'm finding lots of neat ideas on google. Saving lots of inpiration pictures for ideas.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Yes google images is great. Smile

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
That pink bed looks so comfy.