Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  where do you keep your computer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where do you keep your computer? Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Well if you have a laptop, probably everywhere, but if you have a desk top, where do you use it and how do you dedicate most of that space?

Do you have an office? A desk in an otherwise used room? What other things to you use to accompany your computer? Files, printers, etc?

We are in the process of re-assigning a space to be dedicated to computer use. It seems to be a big deal but is this usual?

Posts: 12937 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We no longer have a desk top so we don't have a bulky Tower and bulky machine to deal with. Laptop and printer are in the sunroom near our main router. The iPad is used 80% of the time and it goes all over the house with me- kitchen, great room, den, etc.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a sitting room connected with our MBR that accommodates a make-up table, a TV (where we also watch our Netflix movies), bookshelves, and back-to-back computers each on small desks with a printer.
It is bright and cheery as we watch one of our furry ones sitting in the window seat meowing at all the various and sundry birds feeding from their feeders.

Posts: 1718 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
we have a dedicated study.

its one of 4 bedrooms, and has 3 walls of floor to ceiling bookshelves, an entertainment center with tv and stereo, my desk faces the back yard out the window and the other window has a small table under it for crafts. we have a loveseat, right now but for a few years we had a daybed, which was just too big.

I need to get some photos, but first someone has to clean it!!

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine sounds similar to Kathy's. Just one and a quarter walls of bookshelves though, and no entertainment center. We each have a desk with a computer and printer on each desk, and there is also a loveseat. These desks were built when computers required more space; when we downsize we plan to have smaller ones (though still have one each).

Posts: 4137 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We have two tower computers in our home office, along with a printer. We have a long table/desk, that juts from a wall, into the center of the room, printer on one wall side, router/modem, and paper storage on the other. This way we can both sit on either side/diagonally from each other and share desk space between. We also travel with my laptop, and we each have our I-pads, we use remotely throughout the house.
Probably stick with the same setup at our other house (in a small bedroom/home office) when we move, as it works well for us.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
We're using a third bedroom as an office.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I bought a laptop earlier this year and it hangs out in the living room on one side of the sectional or on the ottoman.

I have the printer that we used with the desktop but is still good but need to get it set up for the new laptop. I got by through the of this past school year, but I need to get that done in the next month or so so we are ready for next school year.

Posts: 9692 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a third bedroom which also has a really nice Ethan Allen computer cabinet in one corner. It's a shame no one ever sees it!!! My printer and modem (is that what you call that thing which receives the signal?) are stored there along with most of my office supplies. My laptop sits on a lovely writing desk in my living room. I used to have the laptop with me wherever I was in the house, but I started to develop carpel tunnel symptoms, so I decided that from now on, the laptop is confined to the desk. That way I have to make a conscious decision to use it--no more symptoms!

Posts: 3495 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We took down our big computer -- each of us now ha a laptop -- we use them in the living room. Although there is a desk in the sunroom (which used to be our computer room) where the printer still lives.

Martha

Posts: 6219 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Main computer and wireless printer is in a desk in our den.

My sewing room also has my laptop so I can remote in to my work office computer. It also has software that lets me manipulate stitch files and transfer to my sewing machine. Plus I have two personal i-pads. There is also a 2 drawer file cabinet in the sewing room and a 6' credenza. Each system has a separate backup and there is also a passport that contains important files.

Pretty fun stuff.

The computer support person is usually scheduled once a quarter to do system checks and updates. He reviews everything to make sure it is all optimized for what I need to do.

The printer at my work office can also be set to do the print function from any where in the world.

Good luck with your set-up.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
LoS it IS a big deal. If it is not right for your needs, you won't spend time with it. It will be too painful, too isolating, too....

I run a full time business at home so my setup is a little different. But it is still similar in that it needs to be right for me.

It takes time, analysis, prioritization, energy.

Posts: 4570 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what is a computer "tower"?

Sounds like many of you have quite extensive office setups and others have iPods, iPads to carry some of the communicating/internet needs.

Till a year ago we shared one computer (none of the other devices for us) and it was in a small space at the end of our hall. This is really small and unheated. The computer table blocked the window making it difficult to raise and lower. But modem and wifi etc. will remain in this space with just a printer.

No shared spaces for us. DH is a real loner in anything to do with work. His computer is now in his studio/study. It is squeezed in.

Mine is in the small space connected to my bedroom. this overlooks the back yard and will be nice but I want to fancy the space up some.
We still have the old computer connected but have not used it for several weeks. Lots of shuffling around of spaces with new things isn't there?

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
If you have wi-fi, and it travels through the house, you might consider some type of tablet.

It's changed my life.

For research or surfing, I am no longer tethered to the desktops (I have 2). Laptops are just too heavy for me to really be portable.

But the tablet... oo-la-la. I have an iPad. Had it only about 6 months. It truly has had a radical impact on my computer life!

I take it everywhere in the house and porches. I can sit in my fav chair in the living room, in bed while just resting or interspersed with napping, sitting outside on the porch soaking up the breezes, and more.

Take it to a warm spot, cold spot, kitchen, wherever I am in a mood to be.

There are limitations--I cannot load my work software on it, so I can't use it directly for indexing. But, when I need to do other computer things for work (lots of research), and getting onto the HGTV boards, it's great. Without all the computer coding and trash clogging up the speed, it's actually faster than my laptops AND desktops.

And, the APPS! Love them. There is an app for the iPad that's nearly identical to the Franklin-Covey system that I use to manage all areas of my life--work, homekeeping, entertainment, medical, menu/food shopping, and more. No more paper system now. It's all on the iPad.

The mini-iPad is just a bit too small for my eyeballs. The regular-sized iPad is good.

Just a thought.

Posts: 4570 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Tower is another name for an up right, desk top, a boxy computer with CD drives, it has a separate monitor and keyboard.
There are also All-in-ones, desk tops where the computer is below & part of the flat screen monitor.

Lots of options, depending on your needs.

We find our Ipads work well for general email, facebook, checking on line sites like weather, pinterest, minor searching and games. DH reads the newspapers and live sports on his, at the kitchen table. I can watch Netflix shows. And they are VERY lightweight/portable.
We still use the desk top computers for personal business, writing, photo storage, banking and word document development.

DH backs up our main computers to each other and separate hard drives once a week.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have wi-fi, and it travels through the house, you might consider some type of tablet.

We are on a very tight budget (retired for 14 years) it took almost a year to save up for my new computer. We simply can't afford all the bells and whistles of this brave new world!

Well actually DH does have a netbook tablet, that DD gave to both of us as a present, but he has a way of monopolizing new things, so I never learned how to use it.

posted Hide Post
I have a bedroom set up as an office and craft room. I have a computer credenza that holds my components and printer and two matching lateral filing cabinets to hold supplies and data. The rest of my house stays clutter-free because I use the office as the repository for all of the items that are in flux.

I have a tablet, but I prefer to use my large 27" monitor and full size keyboard. Tablets are fun for games and reading, but I don't like them for Internet usage, spreadsheet building, memo writing, etc.

Posts: 2008 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I prefer and have always had desktops. My only other electronic gadget is my iPhone. I have a Sauder cabinet with top and bottom doors that can close and hide everything from view. Needless to say that I never close the doors (maybe twice in its lifetime). I love this cabinet! Got it at Staples, I think (back in 1997).

The cabinet houses the telephone, tower, monitor, articulating keyboard/mouse, and printer. There is lots of storage space on the sides of the monitor as well as the two upper doors, which are full of manuals, binders, etc. The tower sits in one of the bottom doors. The other bottom door houses a file drawer.

This room is also my sewing room which houses a cabinet sewing machine, cutting table that folds up when not in use, and a dresser for storing fabric, etc. I wheel the cutting table into the living room when in use because things get too crowded if I open it in my sewing room.

Forgot to mention that I also have the matching Sauder two-door credenza, which is where I file my old photo albums and winter blankets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 6062 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
what is a computer "tower"?

The tower is your hard drive. It holds the guts to your computer. It is often shaped like a tower.

Posts: 1718 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
bought a hutch desk, years ago...had to have it in the lr after mother moved in, but we moved it back to the downstairs office/bedroom...the lap top is in the master bedroom...when we ran a cable upstairs it's long enough to reach all 3 bedrooms....

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
When I had a desktop, it was on a desk in our bedroom. The last desktop that I had, I used strictly for when I was working in my sewing room. I had lots of business related pictures stored on it and used it to listen to ******* and other Internet radio while I worked in there.

These days I have an iPad. Changed my online world. It goes everywhere I do. I do need to get either a desktop or a laptop. Saving for a Mac. When I get it, I will also get a wireless printer. It will all go in my sewing room as they will mostly be used for business.

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Weird...they censored p a n d o r a.

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dh and I both have desk tops with our own desks in our spare bedroom that is now our office. It is a bit crowded but it works for us. We also have an entertainment center with a tv and a book shelf with a storage area in this room. I have a laptop and an Ipad but don't like using either one so I'm always in here if I want to be online. Guess I'm old school when it comes to technology.

Grace

Posts: 40 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Locating a space in our house for the computer was a challenge. It moved from the kitchen to the dining room and finally to the parlor. The entire front wall is dedicated to the PC, printer, shredder, and desk supplies, etc. The rest of the room functions as a multipurpose space with a sofa and chairs, TV, and my DD's musical equipment.

Cyndi

Posts: 4086 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cyndi, that space looks very attractive and very user friendly!

Still working on mine.

posted Hide Post
We have an all-in-one desk top computer....no tower and we really like it.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I need a big work space when i'm bringing home teaching stuff. I also have a desk top because i find typing on a laptop horrid for my carpal tunnel.

My computer is in my office (spare bedroom). It also houses my quilt frame and a TV. I thought i had a better picture, but i don't....

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5593 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, LOS!

Cyndi

Posts: 4086 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Becca that is a very beautiful quilt in the frame. What is the name of that pattern?

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
We made one of the guest rooms an office, so it's in there with a daybed and two desks.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7531 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
Becca that is a very beautiful quilt in the frame. What is the name of that pattern?

It is cld Friendship Knot.

I finished for a friend of my mom's. Her mother made it and never finished quilting it. I finished quilting it for her. Those are the best quilts - finishing quilts made by loved ones so they can be loved and used.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5593 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a room that acts as a office/reading area. I have a desk in there for the computer with my book collection. There is a little sitting area so it can be used for pretty much anything.

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post