Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  I need help with colors for painting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help with colors for painting Sign In/Join 
posted
Any suggestions here? I have gone to home depot and gotten 15 samples. But cant seem to decide. I was thinking a darker accent wall for the tv and a lighter color for the rest of the room

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum...msg0622543614205.jpg

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am getting a blank page. Maybe it's just me.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Think about this before you decide to make your TV wall a dark color. The TV screen already is very dark and, being large, takes up a lot of space on the wall already. A dark wall surrounding it will only suffice to make that wall darker because it is not meant to be a statement wall. Better to just go with the same color as the rest of the room unless, for some reason, you wish to highlight the TV set as the focus wall.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your reason for painting an accent wall? Is it to camouflage something or is it to bring attention to something? If you can't answer the above questions, don't do it! Accent walls are a design gimmick, they are rarely successful and to be perfectly honest, they are out of style.

Posts: 804 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess thats something to think about. Well I know the pictures are terrible but any ideas for a color that will go with the kitchen floors and white furniture?

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You literally have a blank canvas. For scheme inspiration find a print you love such as an area rug, window treatments, an accent chair and pull colors from it all around this space. Rooms crave prints and textures...esp. monochromatic spaces.

What are your favorite colors? Look in your closet. What mood or feel do you desire to evoke? How do your lighting conditions play on colors you are drawn to? Btw, your countertop may give color cues or at least be factored into your scheme.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18680 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The accent wall was just a thought, but I guess I could do one color. I like Grays some lighter greens, lavender. I want to stick with a lighter color that will open up the room. Its a kitchen that opens up to the living area so I suppose it will all have to be the same color. There is plenty of light. I want a color that will match the white furniture and the kitchen and sort of pull everything together.

posted Hide Post
Green, grey and lavender are a wonderful colour combination. Since your furniture is light and the cabinets are dark, a mid-range colour on the walls would be a good balance. Which of the aforementioned favorites would you like to see the most of? If it were my home, I would find a muted green paint colour, such as Benjamin Moore Kennebunkport Green or the lighter Saybrook Sage. Green is a good background for wood tones and your lighter furniture will stand out against it too. Your trim appears to be white, and you may want to add additional moulding around the windows to further enhance the architectural details.

I came back to add my agreement with Arepo and Cavin. An accent wall will make the entire space seem dark and I don't think it will add much to your design.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SusanBradfordKent,

Posts: 516 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sort of like the color you have. What about BM Grape Green?
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...int-color/grapegreen

Posts: 3411 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
what are you doing for window treatments, floor covering, pictures....Those will help w/ the colors.

There's nothing wrong w/ having your color scheme - like the green/purple/gray, but look for the accessories and tweak the colors to go w/ the accessories...

good luck!!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5585 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post