Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Did I make the right changes (staging) in kitchen?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I make the right changes (staging) in kitchen? Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted
My small 900 sf house is on the market. This morning I moved some stuff around in the kitchen in an effort to give the impression of more space. Impression the key word here.

I had a microwave cart at the end of the counter in front of the stationary portion of the slider. The curtained bottom of the cart was my portable sewing center. Beside it was a tall stool with plants on, under, and beside it.

I removed the cart, put the microwave on the counter and moved the small toaster oven to the top of the buffet on the opposite wall. The tall stool and plants were moved to the corner of the counter in front of the slider.

Did I make a mistake putting the microwave on the counter? That part of the counter was never used by me for anything other than mail/purse/key drop, which is now on top of microwave.

I also removed more pics, cushions on chairs and chicken decorations. Two pics to follow with before/after.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Second pic. Ideas? Suggestions? I tried putting the microwave on the buffet but it was too big, too overwhelming.

posted Hide Post
I think the microwave looks good on the counter. But if you are wanting your kitchen to look more roomy, while cute, I would take away the stool and plants. Also the box on top of the curtained piece and the rooster sitting on the heating unit by the table. (I collect roosters also in my kitchen). I think for staging, you need to put away most of your knick knacks. Looks like you have a nice light kitchen.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks May. I will remove the rooster. I also have an "egg" sign on the opposite side of kitchen and a Tiffany style rooster lamp on top of fridge that I can remove.

The box on the table though must remain -- its hiding vitamins, aspirin, meds and other supplements. Out of sight, out of mind -- I would neglect taking the stuff if it was not right there in front of my face every morning.

posted Hide Post
Another question -- well, two, really.

I have on the kitchen counter near the stove a basket with my flatware in it -- I find it more convenient to get and put away there rather than in the drawer in the divider. The drawer divider actually has the tall tea spoons and tablespoons in it.

Do you think this open basket on the countertop gives the impression to prospective buyers that there is not enough room in the drawer for the flatware? (personally, I don't think I would give it a second thought). Should I edit down the flatware and put it all away in the drawer and get rid of the basket?

Question #2 -- am I over thinking and obsessing too much about this?

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Yes, remove the basket with flatware as it not only may suggest you don't have drawer space for it, but it will free up more counter space. Most agents will advise to pack up and store most knick knacks, personal items and really pare down accessories. Some people go so far as to rent a storage locker to house excess items. The idea is to make your home look very spacious with ample storage. Editing spaces also helps them to visualize their furnishings in each room.

Other realtor tips include things like...

Pay attention to first impressions from curb to entry.
Present clean, well maintained spaces.
Allow maximum light filtration and use some artifical ambient lighting if need be while showing your home.
Removing signs of pets including pet smells you may have grown immune to.
Showcasing special amenities and focal points.
Updating anything worn or dated (within reason).
Feature neutral spaces.

Good luck with the sale.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Froo, I suspected that may be the case with the basket/flatware. And you are right -- I am running out of storage from things I have taken off shelves and walls. Right now I have a bunch of stuff crammed into my van while the house is shown this week. I don't have enough stuff for a rental space -- think I'll ask a friend for a corner of her garage for awhile.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
It's a good idea to ask a friend for temporary storage. Close friends of ours, both agents, recently stashed their excess in their married DD's basements just before they'll list their house.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
If I am understanding you correctly MLV, I would edit more.

Remove the microwave from the counter. The open space is more appealing. Hide MV under your bed or such.

Your changes don't have to be permanent. Just really prune for appearances sake, remember what you have done then put stuff back for your own convenience while you still need them.

Don't know about others but it is confusing to me to see pics side by side. It is better to have them even in separate posts if necessary.

Just style it for show, take pics removing as many things as necessary to make it look inviting yet useable etc. Definitely take the open silver storage off the counter. Again just all temporary.

Don't have anything in front of the doors.

Good luck. Remember people who are looking at your place already know the size so they are not expecting the Taj Mahal!

If you haven't already I would wash every window covering, every bedspread, throw rug, window etc. I would go away for an hour or so and come back to see how your house smells. Personally the odor of a house would be the most salable feature to me!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Start by packing unessential items to SHOW you are letting GO of the place. It will make prospective buyers feel like you are going to LET them in, let them daydream about living there!

When I staged my house for sale, I packed away all my collections I wanted to keep. I took down things off the wall that were more than one picture or item (like my leaf collection). I also started detaching myself from the house, it was TIME for me to start letting go and getting myself ready to move on.

Good luck with your sale! You are getting some good advice here.

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:

Remove the microwave from the counter. The open space is more appealing. Hide MV under your bed or such.

Don't know about others but it is confusing to me to see pics side by side. It is better to have them even in separate posts if necessary.

The flatware and basket are now off the counter.

As far as the microwave, my house is so small that putting it elsewhere to get it off the counter would make it obvious that I was trying to hide it. I could remove it from the property if necessary but I am not a good cook and the microwave is one of my favorite/major appliances. Not trying to make excuses, just stating a fact.

Sorry about the pics being difficult. I thought it would be easier to do a comparison of a before and after if they were side by side rather than one after the other and moving up and down repeatedly to make a comparison. I don't foresee needing to post pics again so should not be a problem in the future.

Thanks for your input.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:

I took down things off the wall that were more than one picture or item

I took down another rooster/hen pic off the kitchen wall and replaced it with a generic flower pic.

Something else I took down that I never even "saw" until I read your post about collections -- I had travel magnets on the side of the fridge. I took down 11 magnets. I was so used to seeing them there that I actually didn't see them. Does that make sense?

Another collection I have are cups hanging on pegs on the bottom of a wall shelf. These are mug/cups from places I have traveled to. Should I remove these? I have nothing to replace on the pegs, so they would be empty.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
MyLifeVacation,

You do what you want to do. My suggestions were as to my experiences with moving.

The HARDEST thing that people who are selling do... is HOLD ONTO the place... start moving towards moving out. Start letting go... that means pack what is dear to you and get it ready to move to the new place. A collection of mugs is not going to make or break a sale, but why wait until the last minute to pack everything?
And empty pegs means (if they convey) that the new owners can envision what they will hang there!

Pack what is NOT being sold with the house, that means you don't have to say 'no that does not come with the property'. Show what is included with the sale, and pack all else. Of course what you need to live there is of course not mentioned because it is understood you need to live there until the place is sold.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Cute house, great job!

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
From one who just sold their home, I will say remove all clutter and I don't mean just stuff on the counters, I mean everything from your walls, dressers, bathrooms, all excess. It feels weird at first, almost that your removing the houses' personality, but you are making the mental move like Mary Ruth said. You need to disengage from your home.
I would completely remove everything from the kitchen walls, maybe replace with one big picture or clock....minimize-you need to be ruthless.
The funny thing is in the end, I even liked how my house felt with out all the stuff.
Best of luck with the sale!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just had our house staged and I'll tell you what they did in the kitchen. First off, remove all entryway rugs, etc. On the kitchen counters they had a couple of large scale vases in each corner; a platter with fake apples on the island; a single small stainless pot with lid on the cooktop. That was it. Nothing else. All the accessories were larger scale - on my kitchen wall there was one larger piece of artwork over the table - that's it. No smaller items to be distracted by. They also set the table.

Now, we weren't living in the house so some of this isn't practical, but you get the idea of almost making it seem bare to you. The goal is to maximize the space and make it look larger than what it might actually be. I agree about starting to pack away all those small things you have and leave out the basics only. Besides, it will be easier to clean and keep up with while you are living in "show mode"! Good luck!

Posts: 720 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is crazy, but I think that I would remove the kitchen island. I am sure that it provides much storage, but I think that it will make the kitchen seem much bigger.

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading your post I entertained that idea but had to dismiss it. I hide the trash can under there. There is absolutely no other place to put it except out in the open. I'll see if there is anyway to put a smaller receptacle under the sink, but if not, then the little island stays. I actually have a physical reaction when I see kitchen trash cans sitting out in the open.

See, this is why I like this forum. The idea of removing the island never even entered my head. It is something to ponder and take action on before my next showing tomorrow morning. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
[quote]I was so used to seeing them there that I actually didn't see them. Does that make sense?

Yes, totally.

Here's another idea MLV and I don't believe I have ever heard of or seen this done. But what about removing everything from your kitchen (and every other room) photograph each room from the four views it would comprise. Have the realtor use these on the selling listing or have the photographs printed out large and just prop them around. that way the buyers do get to see the space empty and you get to still live in it.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
By the way, MLV, I think that your house has fabulous curb appeal!!! In fact, I think that without any changes you should have no trouble selling your house!

Posts: 3030 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

And --- I just got finished taking out the little island, and the runner under it, and cleaning the floor and finding places for all the stuff under the island. (I've got pots and pans in the van temporarily until I can organize them.) A small trash can did fit under the sink. It looks so strange and bare in there! (Iphone photo -- lighting kind of off, sorry).

posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, MLV, I think that your house has fabulous curb appeal!!

Have I missed some pics of the outside of the house? Or a link to the listing?

posted Hide Post
Here's the MLS link I had posted on the real estate board:

http://www.patgallagherrealty....ls&listingid=3422063

posted Hide Post
My Life:
Is there any way you can remove some of the things on the etagere and some of the wall hangings like the stars for example? Less on the walls is better.
A glass vase with fresh flowers on top of that etagere (with nothing else next to it) is always a popular staging item.
If you can remember the credo "less is more" you could remove dozens more things like little chickens and small items like the tiny flower in the white wooden box on the floor.
I think you are getting there. It is a tough thing to do and I feel for you.
I just went through it myself with my apartment and had a fabulous stager who was a friend of my realtor who did it for me gratis. I was very lucky.
Lots of good luck in your new and wonderful home.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arepo:
My Life:
Is there any way you can remove some of the things on the etagere and some of the wall hangings like the stars for example?

Thanks. Actually the stars are gone. I have taken down at least 30 more things off the walls, gotten rid of the heavy overstuffed chair, a chest of drawers, the kitchen island, the kitchen microwave cart/sewing center, cushions off the kitchen chairs, large trash can replaced by small one under sink, lots of ceramics, especially chickens, etc.

It was suggested that I remove the window valances -- will do that tomorrow to lighten things up. It was also suggested that I remove the shears -- uh uhh, can't do it. The house on the side of the bedrooms is about, oh, 10 feet away. I need to pretend that house is not there and the shears help with that pretense somewhat.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Great! Removing the island makes your kitchen more spacious and shows off your beautiful floor!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Great! Removing the island makes your kitchen more spacious and shows off your beautiful floor!

Yes, that is a beautiful floor!

It does have great curb appeal and I like the colors too. Very nice grounds. Your changes will be very effective for this listing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

posted Hide Post
quote:
but you get the idea of almost making it seem bare to you. The goal is to maximize the space and make it look larger than what it might actually be.

Isn't that the truth! Taking out the little island in the kitchen looks so odd to me but I realize anyone else coming in had never seen it, therefore will not miss it. It did eliminate needed counter space though so I am going to put in a fold up table there that can be quickly put away in case of a showing.

I also took down the valances in the living room and the bedroom. Wow, what a difference. I actually like the effect and may consider using only shears in my next place.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annielinz:
I mean everything from your walls, dressers, bathrooms, all excess.
The funny thing is in the end, I even liked how my house felt with out all the stuff.
Best of luck with the sale!

Annie -- did you really mean to add "dressers" to your list of things to remove nonessentials? Surely people touring the house do not open up personal furniture, do they?

After rereading, I think I made a wrong assumption -- you meant things on the TOP of the dresser, didn't you? Duh!

posted Hide Post
Your kitchen is beginning to look GREAT for "showing" but I think you need to clean off the rest of the stuff on the counters. Yes, even the microwave. Stash it all in your friend's garage.

Have you got a new place picked out?

Posts: 1126 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Removing your island made a huge difference!!!!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I frequent open houses for the fun of it. I can tell you that your house has great curb appeal and charm. Removing the island was a very good idea. Your kitchen looks much bigger now. Unless you're in a difficult real estate market, I can't imagine that it will take long for you to get offers. Your realtor did a nice job with the description, too. Good luck!

Posts: 3984 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldhouseluvr:
Your realtor did a nice job with the description, too. Good luck!

I suggested to the realtor that she insert a sentence saying "within walking distance of the library and elementary school". I was totally surprised when she said it was illegal to use that wording. The Fair Housing Act states that to use that wording is discriminatory to persons with disabilities. I totally understand that reasoning but had never given it a thought before.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you can't put that wording in! I mean libraries can DELIVER to those who can't get there, and any child needing to go to school would have transportation arranged!

I guess 'close proximity' to ... would work, BUT why didn't SHE suggest alternative wording?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:

I guess 'close proximity' to ... would work, BUT why didn't SHE suggest alternative wording?

My apologies MR, she did use alternative wording -- I think, without going back to look, she used "near". I should have included that in my OP. My bad.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
My Life,

You are doing great with the staging and getting everything ready. Good luck on the sale and next part of your move.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post