Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Please help me decorate aroud my Grand piano. Thanks!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me decorate aroud my Grand piano. Thanks! Sign In/Join 
posted
Greetings!
So I am guy with lack of decor skills Smile
I want to be able to decorate around my Grand Piano which is dark mahogany red polish.
Here are some pictures of how it looks.

Here is the picture of the area and current items with my previous black piano for reference.

I was thinking maybe this might work:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?n...rch=&ssid=24820841#1

but on that wall between the plant and the door I was thinking maybe a guitar or violin but the sofa and tables need to go I think lol

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LGabriel,

Posts: 7 | Location: UTAH | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Hi. Your space looks small. Is it your living room? Is it only used for musical gatherings? Factor in the uses of this space. Your beautiful piano is indeed a lovely focal point. I think your space is void of color and pattern interest. Can you paint the walls or is this a rental? I would probably place the piano more to the railing corner opposite the window. Balance it with an upholstered chair that fits comfortably in the corner by the window. This will afford you more seating and a conversational grouping. A patterned area rug can add color interest to the space and a color for your walls could be inspired by it. If you paint the walls a color, frame the print on the piano wall in a beefy black frame. Do not overlook the importance of lighting around the room. BTW, those blonde end tables look out of place. A pedestal in a dark stain or black can elevate your plant to a grander status.

Though the end tables and coffee table are in keeping with the coloration and style of the piano I feel they will be out of place with the contemporary sofa. A sofa that is traditional or transitional will be a worthwhile investment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18440 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your piano is absolutely GORGEOUS. Congratulations on your new purchase. I don't particularly care for either the tables you have nor the ones on the link you provided. I wish I were more talented to give you suggestions other than I like the piano angled. Will give a better sound to playing. Also will prevent the piano being against an outside wall.

Going back to my post after reading what Froo wrote. I think her suggestion of using black stemmed from the 2nd picture where the piano looked black instead of the beautiful mahogany. I definitely would NOT be using black in this room and would change the coloring of the stool.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Love, Lu,

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Hi. Your space looks small. Is it your living room? Is it only used for musical gatherings? Factor in the uses of this space. Your beautiful piano is indeed a lovely focal point. I think your space is void of color and pattern interest. Can you paint the walls or is this a rental? I would probably place the piano more to the railing corner opposite the window. Balance it with an upholstered chair that fits comfortably in the corner by the window. This will afford you more seating and a conversational grouping. A patterned area rug can add color interest to the space and a color for your walls could be inspired by it. If you paint the walls a color, frame the print on the piano wall in a beefy black frame. Do not overlook the importance of lighting around the room. BTW, those blonde end tables look out of place. A pedestal in a dark stain or black can elevate your plant to a grander status.

Though the end tables and coffee table are in keeping with the coloration and style of the piano I feel they will be out of place with the contemporary sofa. A sofa that is traditional or transitional will be a worthwhile investment.

This is the second living room that is connected to the diningroom/kitchen.
Both are small.
Actually I am happy to change the tables, sofa etc all but painting , sorry.

As for sitting, I was thinking two small chairs maybe that look nice instead of the bigger sofa to make the space look bigger or something but I am open to suggestions.
I dont feel neither the tables or sofa I have are going to stay there..I dont feel they blend at all lol
Also, I mostly play for myself, maybe the occasional date so sitting room is not a concern at all, mostly just make it look nice...its were I spend a lot of time and I like that feeling of a nice balanced environment.

The rug idea is nice I am just so confused on what color works with the piano etc. Smile
How bout that paining on the back? It was bought for the black piano but now with the Mahogany one, I am not sure it works as well..does it?

BTW, the new piano is the on the corner placement not the black on.
That is the placement I like now. Smile

Posts: 7 | Location: UTAH | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Love, Lu:
Your piano is absolutely GORGEOUS. Congratulations on your new purchase. I don't particularly care for either the tables you have nor the ones on the link you provided. I wish I were more talented to give you suggestions other than I like the piano angled. Will give a better sound to playing. Also will prevent the piano being against an outside wall.

Going back to my post after reading what Froo wrote. I think her suggestion of using black stemmed from the 2nd picture where the piano looked black instead of the beautiful mahogany. I definitely would NOT be using black in this room and would change the coloring of the stool.

Why thank you so much for the kind words! Smile
Yeah neither the tables or sofas are going to stay. I just dont know what matches with the piano color Smile
Oh yes it is staying angled.
That last picture is a small black piano I had first. I just added that picture cause it shows the room fully. Smile

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
oh, I thought I was seeing things, but they are two different pianos. If you don't relish the idea of painting the walls or one focal wall behind the piano, use art in a gallery style or enlarged photography perhaps in a sepia tone with frames in the same coloration. This will add interest without competing with the lovely piano. Optionally, hanging other musical instruments while featuring smaller ones in shadowboxes and on floating shelves will serve as functional wall art.IZ would prefer to see a grouping of chairs with one side table than the sofa.

When I think of a baby grand, I think of candlelight. DO a google search for chandelier wall decades for a whimsical touch to a wall near the piano. There are countless decals on the market if the idea of using them appeals to you. Yet another wall art idea involves framing music album covers, theater posters featuring musicals or famous musicians you admire.

What is behind the sofa? Is it open to another room? If so, carry that room scheme into this music area.

Posts: 18440 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah that idea of musical instruments I like a lot. Like violins, guitars etc. Chairs over Sofa is also my preference too..not sure on colors. Any links of possible colors that match when it comes to tables and chairs, and styles would be of great help to me. Smile

The black one was the Baby Grand (4-11) the Mahogany is actually 6-1..not Concert Grand but still Grand..dont want to hurt its pride Big Grin
Behind the Sofa is just the kitchen counter and dining room..all small areas. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LGabriel,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I would let that beautiful piano take the stage and stand alone. Maybe one tall, large leafed plant in an over sized planter, and a standing lamp with a shade to see the music by. No little tables, or etc. Simple, uncluttered and beautiful.

Came back to add a photo. I know the style of this room is different than yours, much more formal, but notice the simplicity. In the corner, the piano, a seat, and light.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7083 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Then I think a plant something like this would be nice near by. But nothing else. Just the plant in the big planter.

posted Hide Post
That makes sense too, since yes it should be the main attraction. I do want to keep a plant for humidity and I need that ugly white humidifer too :/
Right now is like hiding behind the left side of the piano on the floor.
Also, your images are not showing. Not sure why not.
Thanks!

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
You have to be logged in to see the photos, otherwise all you see is a red circle with a line through it.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the piano as being the MOST important part of that room. How is the sound with those ceilings and space?

I like the planter idea, keeping things simple and elegant.

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to be playing with some acoustic panels from my HT room on that area over the weekend to see if I like it a little less "alive" Smile
I am liking the plant idea..I guess it will be for that corner where the window is right?

posted Hide Post
1) I think you need to rename the space to "The Music Room".

2) I have mostly mahogany furniture in my house. I think that green looks good with it.

3) IF you replace the picture, I would suggest a gold frame.

4) How about 2 comfortable chairs with a table in between to replace the couch. A traditional club chair or a bergere would be great.

posted Hide Post
Oh yes gold to match the piano..maybe I can get a table with the same thing.
Do you mind posting a pic of how yours look with green?

posted Hide Post
Since my husband replaced my computer with a Mac, I can't post pictures. However, I'm not sure that a picture of MY very traditional style house with a lot of Victorian furniture would help you much anyway.