Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  If you could only choose one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could only choose one... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
A water closet or a free standing bubble tub in a master bath, which do you feel is more important? If the existing tub is removed I would enlarge the shower and split the vanities. If a new tub takes the space where the jacuzzi now sits, the redone shower will remain, but not very large. A possible partial wall will somewhat conceal the toilet. This decision may impact resale which is my concern tho potential resale is a few years away. Naturally, if my bathroom was larger I would have the bubble tub and a water closet with pocket door. I have to work within the 8x11 footprint and keep two sinks. THanks for your opinions.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would ask a realtor in your area which is preferable to most buyers as every area is different. Personally, I love my soaking tub and wouldn't buy a house without one, but lots of people seem to only use showers. As for the separate WC, I like them, but I can live with the toilet partitioned off by a pony wall. Mostly, I want the toilet to be blocked from the sink area.

Posts: 1723 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I love a tub, take a bath every day, and wouldn't buy a house without a nice tub in the master bath. I think I would skip the bubble part though. I wanted a plain tub in this house and my husband talked me into getting a tub with jets. The jets drive me bonkers. I absolutely never use them as they make too much noise for me. I like a quiet relaxing soak. So basically they are rough holes that I have to brush and clean all the time. I should have listened to myself, and got the plain smooth uncomplicated, and much cheaper tub.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I agree with the real agent idea, as they know what the folks who are buying into your neighborhood want, generally speaking.

I love a quiet soaking tub, The Husband only wants a shower. All of my friends and relatives--except one Aunt--agree with The Husband.

A soaking tub, or lack thereof, was a deal-breaker for me and The Husband accommodated me.

However, not just any tub. I've lived with the genuine free-standing tubs of years past, and never want another--even if better materials.

After suffering through a broken leg, I want the "seating" and "step" area my built-in tub/shower combo has.

The only way it would have worked, if there was a free-standing tub, is if the SHOWER itself was large enough to accommodate at LEAST TWO shower benches. One to sit on, and the other in the area in front to prop up a broken leg in a hard cast (that has the plastic protector over it), with room left over for my other leg!

I'm getting older, apparently, and think in terms of my home accommodating certain injuries.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I agree with asking a realtor for a professional opinion, but personally, I would not buy without a nice tub. Just a standard, deep tub that is easy to clean.

Posts: 2958 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I vote for the tub too.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
As much as I prefer a WC and never use the tub, I rejected putting an offer on a house because there was no tub in the master.

But you live there now and if the potential to stay longer than 5-7 years, then I'd forego the tub and install a water closet with a vanity sink! that is what I miss in my master WC. A powder room in the master.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Your. Feedback with an overwhelming vote for a tub verifies my initial inclination to include one. I plan on obtaining another labor estimate to include one. I have my eye on a beauty of a tub that is a bubble tub. I was told by several sources that bubble tubs are not prone to bacterial growth as their jacuzzi predecessors were found to be. I believe they are quieter too and you can use bubble bath products if desired. The tub is cast iron tho and has a skirted option which is simply gorgeous. I will save on some tile and drywall if I include the tub. Can you tell that I am justifying the pricy tub? Interestingly tho, DH learned that removing a tub will result in a reduction in our homeowner coverage. If it's not one thing, it's another. :-/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
that removing a tub will result in a reduction in our homeowner coverage.

Probably because the possibility of a bathtub overflowing and causing major damage is eliminated

I did it 3 times in our previous home. Thankfully, we have a wet vac, and lots of fans. And, we were home....

Showers never seem to overflow...

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke with a bathroom remodeler recently and he said that a house needs to have at least one tub. Do you have one in another bathroom? He said people are wanting just a large shower in the master if there is another tub. I will remodel my master bath soon, which currently has a shower and would like to add a tub. The kids bathroom has one, but I like to stay out of their mess! Do you have a picture of the one you like so much?

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you notice the wants and needs of house buyers on HGTV, the majority insist on a tub.
I, myself, do not particularly like tubs, preferring instead a drop dead shower with all the bells and whistles. But I must say that if I were looking to sell my home, the tub would be there in a ding dong minute.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FrenchCountry
posted Hide Post
When DH and I moved seven years ago, I turned down several homes shown to us by realtors, because there was no bathtub.

Posts: 547 | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Update:As of last night via phone we have asked the contractor to submit a labor estimate that includes the same footprint which will include a tub.

We also will discuss a semi kitchen remodel which means we will install new cabinetry in the existing layout and reinstall the Corian countertop. The appliances are going to be reinstalled as they are not old (though they are white). I am considering ivory cabinetry (no glazing). BTW, the Corian is Sierra which is light too so I hope it won't be too light. I hope to pick up more white on the backsplash. The issue regarding the removal of kitchen soffits was posed in order to use taller upper cabinets, but we shudder to think of that cost plus we recently had four can lights installed in them. My head is swimming with these two projects on our plates. I must proceed with caution keeping on mind current design trends while resisting the urge to go overboard. More updates later.

NOTE: Our main bathroom has a tub.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I would not buy a house without a tub in the master bath...and I would NOT want a bubble tub.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
The one thing I wanted most when building our house was a nice tub with jets and let me say I am using that tub. I have fibro and it feels heavenly to me. My husband tried it out once and that was that. My son tried it once and that was that. My daughter loves it to and although she has her own bathroom she uses my tub every so often since hers doesn't have the jets. I think it is a girl thing. LOL Glad you are checking into a tub. I wouldn't buy one without a tub in the master.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5703 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post