Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Gearing up for some fall decorating.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gearing up for some fall decorating. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted
Anyone else excited to decorate for fall? I just love fall colors. I made a new fall wreath for my front door out of burlap and added sunflowers. Can't wait to hang it. I hope to see lots of pictures this year of everyone's fall decor. Hint hint! Seriously...please share when you do decorate for fall. I really enjoy seeing everyone's pictures.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am, I am (hand waving)! Usually I'm not ready quite this early, but for some reason this year I've already been planning it for a week or so. I want to change it up a bit from the last few years (without spending too much). I won't actually start on it 'til mid-Sept. or so though; it's still too darn hot down here Wink

But I agree - bring on the pictures!

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I love Fall and LOVE to decorate, but we are awaiting the beginning of our master bath remodel (date still unknown), painting our dining room and if I am ambitious enough, stripping some paper. I'll be lucky if I decorate for Christmas!

I think those recent Canadian cold fronts giving us along the East coast relief from the typical Dog Days may be what has us looking forward to Fall. I have even noticed some roadside greenery turning. I love Autumn colors too. It is a shame they are short lived.

Posts: 18668 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about putting out a few seasonal items, but can't find my box that held them. Sure hope they didn't get pitched in our move last spring- at the end I was ruthless about clearing out old stuff. I'd hate to start all over. Frown

Posts: 3117 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I always say that I'm going to decorate the first of September -- Sept after all is the start of fall -- but I never do. Too warm here I think to really get into that "fall mood"!

So . . . . It's usually around the END of September and then I'm mad at myself because I feel a month behind!

I love the pumpkins and mums and pansies of fall -- the leaves turning and branches in the house, of both leaves and bittersweet.

I always get way too many pumpkins and then the first of December when I have to haul them all away I'm mad at myself again! I've been better but then I see another I like and home it comes -- they come home one at a time -- they get taken away ALL at once!

Sigh --

I do love fall -- late September, all of October and until the middle of November are three of my favorite months!

Martha

Posts: 5887 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
I don't usually start until mid September either but I may just start a bit earlier this year at least on the porches. Just need to finish getting my vinyl siding cleaned. I don't quite know what has got me all fired up. LOL I would like to do some fall crafting too.

We are getting ready to start some work on our house too but it will be mostly outside. We are adding a 2 car garage. We have had a lot of rain so having to hold off until the ground is a bit more solid to get everything poured. It all shouldn't affect my decorating though.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder that fall decorating season is coming soon! I'm looking forward to seeing fall pics altho won't be doing anything decor-wise yet. It's hot again here now and altho there are signs of fall (mist on the lake in the am and cooler at night) it's still summer so I haven't given fall decorating a thought. I'll be away for awhile in September so not planning to decorate for fall til the last week of September.

When I was at Costco last week they had the large pots of mums and I was tempted but may get one on my way home from my trip.

quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof: I always get way too many pumpkins and then the first of December when I have to haul them all away I'm mad at myself again! I've been better but then I see another I like and home it comes -- they come home one at a time -- they get taken away ALL at once!

If I lived near you I'd come and pick them up for my compost! Big Grin I love the real ones but only use faux now.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12721 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Our Maine summers are too brief to look forward to fall. Today it was 84º in the early afternoon but when we went out 1/2 an hour ago we needed sweaters.

I think it depends on where you live how anxious you are for fall!

Posts: 12578 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Autumn comes around, I'm just in heaven. I wish our only season was Autumn Smile I know it's getting close because I'm starting to crave iced pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie (LOTS of Cool Whip)and pecan pie. Those are my favorite Autumn goodies. Today was in the 80'S humid and too hot for me. Got off track here...the only decorating I do is at Christmas time, I'd love to start for the different seasons though.

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martha's comment about the pumpkins reminded me of my "pumpkin experiment" of two years ago...like her, I can't stand to throw them out, so I usually move them around to the back and keep them as long as they keep...well, I had noticed that if the weather stays cool enough, they keep quite a long time! So I decided to see if I could refrigerate them and keep them a year...suffice it to say it didn't work-lol!

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Last year I turned my fall pumpkin into a turkey with a wood kit I found at Goodwill so I was able to keep the one big one until the day after Thanksgiving. It was cute!

The weather here in Tennessee is still quite warm although I will say our August hasn't been as hot as usual. Normally it is about the hottest month we have.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I wish I could! It is still unpleasantly hot here. We are growing pumpkins in anticipation of fall and are eagerly watching the vines counting the wee ones.

I wonder if the mums are out in the stores here. That to me signals fall decorating time!

Posts: 3263 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I CAN'T, just CAN'T reply to this thread. I admit I love Fall and decorating for Fall, but this summer has been so short that I'm just not ready!!!
But I'll keep this thread in mind when I'm ready!
Thanks, Ladies...

Posts: 1954 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysmom49:
I CAN'T, just CAN'T reply to this thread. I admit I love Fall and decorating for Fall, but this summer has been so short that I'm just not ready!!!
But I'll keep this thread in mind when I'm ready!
Thanks, Ladies...

DITTO!!

Wanda

Posts: 4859 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:
When Autumn comes around, I'm just in heaven. I wish our only season was Autumn Smile I know it's getting close because I'm starting to crave iced pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie (LOTS of Cool Whip)and pecan pie. Those are my favorite Autumn goodies. Today was in the 80'S humid and too hot for me. Got off track here...the only decorating I do is at Christmas time, I'd love to start for the different seasons though.

Oops...forgot about the mallow pumpkins, yum Smile

Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
I'm ready!! Really hoping to see some pics as well! Smile

Posts: 899 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
I have a tub of goodies...most go from fall to thanksgiving...

Posts: 8528 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
sjf I have like 4 or 5 tubs of fall goodies. LOL I decorate mainly for fall and for Christmas. I do have a couple totes for 4th of July and a couple for spring/Easter...but yep primarily fall and Christmas. Christmas I have probably a dozen or more totes. I'm a decoraholic LOL

Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
How do you all incorporate fall inside with colors like blue and aqua?
I have seashell things all over but am wondering how I could do some fall decorating.

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
craftybbq,
I bought a few white pumpkins (faux) at Michaels a couple of years ago, and they look great in that theme!

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Crafty, indeed you can evoke Fall (and Chrstmas) too without using traditional colors. Look to neutrals and metallics. These include whites, creams, beige, taupe, tan, browns, grays, greens. Metallics are hot too such as golds, silvers, pewter, bronze, copper. Mercury glass is readily found in seasonal decor too. Even those with be achy themes can incorporate sea items into holiday decor such as metallic sprayed shells, starfish at Christmas, white coral combined with metallic Christmas ornaments or spray painted acorns, pumpkins or gourds. Elements evoking the season can often be painted to echo your room scheme. Branches, pinecones, dried flowers, driftwood, shells, etc. are examples. Fall items such as pheasants, feathers, cattails, pods, grasses, can be part of your decor too

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18668 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Beachy inspiration for Crafty (others)...

http://www.houseontheway.com/fall-decor-at-the-beach/

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Example for Crafty, but you can easily do this with paint or silver leaf...

http://caronsbeachhouse.com/an...e-decor-accents.html

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craftybbq:
How do you all incorporate fall inside with colors like blue and aqua?
I have seashell things all over but am wondering how I could do some fall decorating.

Crafty, real pumpkins actually come in many colors even white and pale blue which would work well with a beach decor. Of course faux pumpkins can come in any color.

Here's a pic from Martha Stewart that shows the various natural colors of pumpkins...

photo mla103714_1008_gloss_pumpk_l_zps7cbca97c.jpg

http://www.marthastewart.com/2...-palette-of-pumpkins

This site also shows pics of different colored pumpkins than what many are used to: http://www.sensationalcolor.co...ns-1079#.Uhi5RT_Dup0

Years ago I painted some of my terracotta pumpkins white and they are fun to decorate with.

white JOL photo 6FALL-greatroomwhiteJOL.jpg

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Posts: 12721 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
JOY, I got a kick out of your vain pumpkin gazing into the mirror. Too cute! Smile

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Joy I love that too with the pumpkin looking in the mirror.

Crafty as others said with all the new colors of real pumpkins as well as the faux there is so much more you can do now to incorporate fall. I don't know if you do pinterest but there are so many ideas on there. I love the white pumpkins with silver and blues incorporated in the themes. Also remember that just with a little paint you can transform anything into the colors you prefer. My daughters bedroom is blues, golds, and silvers with some Victorian colors of some pinks thrown in here or there. She doesn't decorate it for fall but for Christmas it is gorgeous and elegant. One thing she found last year were some silver colored leaves to use for Christmas on her tree but just imagine those same leaves used around a white pumpkin for fall.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Years ago I painted some of my terracotta pumpkins white and they are fun to decorate with.

Very attractive, Joy Luck!

Posts: 12578 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the tips! I am definitely going to try some of them and am going right now to the links that were posted Smile I may not be walking good but I can do this a little at a time.

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
My classroom already has touches of fall in it, as the kids will Rrive on Sept. 3rd ( year 31, here I come)!

I am eager to get started at home. Last year I did very little decorating. This year is a better and different year and I can hear my pumpkin collection calling to me from the basement. With the hectic pace of back to school, getting DS and DH ready for a hunting trip and putting finishing touches on DD's wedding plans, it will likely be mid Sept before too much decorating gets done, but I am feeling ready!

Maine Lady

Posts: 5733 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Joyluck -- love that vain pumpkin as well -- so much cuter than if you had done it the "normal" way!

I think that the colors of fall work with almost any decor as do the colors of Christmas but that is my opinion.

I am a traditionalist although I do like some of the white pumpkins.

We'll be gone mid October to Thanksgiving this year. I don't think I'll buy mums and I think I will buy fewer pumpkins -- enough to decorate the front but few if any for inside.

Martha

Posts: 5887 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lisa,

Our temps are in the high 80's this week and expected to be in the 90's later. Fall and Christmas decor is already out in the local stores but it will wait for now. I do love seeing all the inspiration and decorating pics though and wishing for some Fall temps to along with it.

Craft, Have you seen the aqua glass pumpkins in the stores? Very pretty! I am tempted to make that one purchase this year as my colors are blue and aqua too.

There are also MG pumpkins that could be mixed with seashells too.

http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...n-decor-accessories&

Good luck on your decorating!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Froo, Lisa Ann, LOS, and Martha! That white pumpkin came about because I didn't pack it well enough when I put it away one year so it broke. DH glued it together and I suggested painting it white.

For those who like to decorate for fall with other than the traditional colors there are always the velvet pumpkins. I've thought of making some but do not have access to many real stems. It's quite an easy craft apart from finding the real stems and I know I could make faux stems for them.

There are many all over the internet and also on etsy:

https://encrypted.google.com/s...caUuTrEsjoqwH-r4HgAw

http://www.etsy.com/search?q=velvet+pumpkins&page=1

Or fabric pumpkins: https://encrypted.google.com/s...&tbm=isch&tbs=imgo:1

Or decoupage pumpkins (and I know this is not real decoupage) which can be made in any color and even patterns: https://encrypted.google.com/s...&tbm=isch&tbs=imgo:1

Also embellished pumpkins: https://encrypted.google.com/s...&tbm=isch&tbs=imgo:1

So it's obvious pumpkins came in any color one wants. I know what I'm going to do with those awful foam pumpkins I almost threw away!

Lucky

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Found this photo on Pinterest today from an Esty shop
Love the aqua velvet!

pumpkin velvet

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
Found this photo on Pinterest today from an Esty shop
Love the aqua velvet!

So pretty!!!

posted Hide Post
You ain't kidding I am ready for fall. We are still in triple digits. My next decor will be for Labor Day and then on to the fall stuff.

Posts: 566 | Location: Dallas,Tx USA | Registered: May 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post