Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Found coffee table on Craigslist-- thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found coffee table on Craigslist-- thoughts? Sign In/Join 
posted
I found this coffee table on Craigslist. It is near my home for $40. It is a table that I saw and liked, selling for $389. It is made by Peters Revington. It has a crack, as seen in the photo.
Do you think I can fill this with wood filler and put some stain on to blend? I don't know how it could possibly move in order to be glued since it is attached to the tile.
Also, would this go with my new sectional? I'll add that pic next.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oojeanie,

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the sectional.

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because of the crack, I'd try to offer $350.
But GRAB IT!
Looks great with your sectional too.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GRAB IT!
Looks great with your sectional too.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
For 40 bucks??? Perfect! Snag it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 2993 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Also, I think that crack would be easy to repair - a little glue and a clamp will do the trick

Posts: 2993 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
For 40.00 sure. Great price even if damaged. It is a very nice table. I like it very much.

Maybe B4 filing in w/wood putty, turn it over add a metal brace underneith. A small stripe with holes to drill in screws. Your DH will know what to use. LOL. That will brace the 2 sections even tighter together. Then fill in with putty on top.

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great table. It's probably not attached to the tile, otherwise there would not have been room for it to separate. Glue and the plate that jackierenette mentioned and a clamp should do the trick, although I'm still stinging from the DH comment.
I'd need to do it myself(it isn't rocket science!)

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Jaysmom,sorry I couldn't think of the (plate)metal brace thingy. He maybe even has a few laying around in his tool box. I knew her DH would know what it's called. LOL.I was having a moment with grandson asking questions while I was typing.
Oh belive me I am the DIYer in our home.DH would rather pay someone to do things instead of him doing it.And it gets on my nerves too.My DF built homes and had 5 DD's,so we learned to do all kinds of projects.LOL....I didn't mean any harm to women.

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I hope you bought it and it was easy to fix, 'cuz I think it would look great with both your sofa and your area rug.

Let us know how it turns out, please! Smile

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I should have taken a longer nap this afternoon LOL. I just bristle at anything that sounds like one needs a DH to have what they want.
I'm constantly encouraging women that there is nothing about tools that say "men", just like I taught my son that the stove and dishwasher are "for women only". I still can't believe when he went to college, he had to show the "boys" how to do their own laundry. Personally, I think he got a kick out of being the expert LOL!
BTW, oojeanie, did you get the table????

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if you do go and get it, take along a a flat belt of some kind to hold it tigether, while moving...was first thinking bungee cord but it would just roll off...don't know if you'd have a clamp big enough to across, except an adjustable pipe clamp...

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the table and I think the color will be fabulous with your new sectional.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, thought it was sold but they finally replied. It is still available. Does the round shape look better than square? I could refinish mine. If I get this, I either need to buy the matching end table ( I would save $350 total still for the set)or refinish my end table darker, but it would still have a different style leg.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oojeanie,

posted Hide Post
I think I found the answer to my question about staining my end table that I have now. I did some research and everything says that pine blotches when it is stained darker. So, I guess I would buy the matching end table.

posted Hide Post
Great news! Now just leave that end table alone for a while. 'Tis the season for great finds, before you set yourself up for a bunch of work, keep those eyes open, you never know...