Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Need help with exterior door color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with exterior door color Sign In/Join 
posted
We painted out exterior door today (next to garage) and are not 'thrilled' about the color. We are holding off on painting the second door until we find a color we like.

Can someone help us select a better color? The photo of the house is below. Thanks.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
If the door by the garage is your secondary(informal) entry that leads to the garage, I would downplay it by painting it white to blend with the siding. In doing so, your main front door entry will be pronounced. Since siding, roof and shutters are neutral, consider any contrasting color that emphasizes the main door and that appeals to you. Options could include, but are not limited to, a lighter, brighter red (along the lines of Talbut shops), the brick red of your chimney,a golden yellow (do view samples in the natural lighting conditions so as not tone too garish), a plum (not too dark), a barn red, a vibrant blue, etc. Whatever color you select for the main door, echo it via foliage/flowers in the landscaping. Potted flowers or window boxes filled with a colorful mix will brighten the facade too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Also, when budget permits, upgrade and enlarge your home's exterior light fixtures. They appear too small in scale to the size of your lovely home.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Froo Froo,

here's a photo showing a reddish main door (I will repaint door next to garage white).

How does this look? PS, my shutters are dark green, not black (not the best photo).

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I probably would paint it the same color as the door, but if you do want to downplay it do as Froo Froo says and paint it white!

Posts: 12136 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a front door that contrasts with all the other colors used on the house. That way it stands out. I would paint that secondary door either white or the same color as the shutters. I like the red front door.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I do like the new color (or the red) and think that it should be on both doors. They would look fabulous with something near the stoop to catch the eye. Possibly you could use some larger more colorful plants, beefier railings, of something on the door.

Sorry that I replied to more than your original question....Wink

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I like the red also, but you don't have to go "fire engine" if you think it is a tad too loud especially, if the door is in direct sunlight most of the day. Bring some red chips home to view in the varied lighting conditions to help determine the perfect red.

I STILL feel the garage entry door should remain white as the main entry stands proud in a color that draws the eye immediately to it. If you go with a red front door, be sure to dot the mulched beds with more of the red. Additional colors in flowers and foliage will frame your White House nicely.

posted Hide Post
I would paint the front door the same color red as your chimney. The service door, definately white.

Posts: 658 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much to you all! Today we repainted the door next to the garage door......we selected white......thanks to many comments here! (see photo below). Next weekend we will repaint the main entry door.......color not selected yet but we are thinking the brick red (we also have a red brick in the living room so when the door is open we will see the red door in the living room.

I also like the other suggestions. We do need to replace the exterior lights....any suggestions on size/color/style?

What type/size/flower color planters should be purchase? Our front house faces south and receives at least 6 hours of direct sun. Or is there a good colored plant which has colored leaves in lieu of flowers.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh...liking that white for. Smile Do post a pick when you've painted the main door.

Regarding flower boxes and flowers, carry a pic of your home's facade and take measurements of the two right windows. Pick the brain of the gardening associate or landscaper for style and plant advice. Browsing homes with similar style and scheme in your area can give you cues also. Whatever you select in bushes, do not plant them too close to your foundation (allow for growth). If there is a walkway, consider an outside curved bed where the walk turns for additional plantings. Curvy beds will soften the linier style of your home. If a walk is missing, considering adding one repeating the brick on your chimney perhaps in a herringbone or basket weave pattern.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
For light fixtures, carrying a pic of your home will help too. Look for a traditional style in a metal that will show up against the white siding. ..Perhaps black with glass panes. Factor in the style of the lamp post so that the compliment each other. Inquire about the shop's return policy so you can hold a fixture beside a door while someone else steps back to determine if the scale is ideal before committing to instillation.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I would also advise the removal of the entry railing unless that's a code violation. I suspect it is okay to do since it appears there are only two steps involved. In doing so, your entry won't feel so confined.

posted Hide Post
If you have elderly people or anyone with physical limitations visiting your home, I would think twice about removing that railing. It can be a struggle just getting up one step for those of us that have that problem and it doesn't matter if it is one step or a dozen. The step up into your home looks higher than the porch steps do so the railing can assist them with getting inside or outside with a sense of security. jmo

Posts: 37 | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even if you don't have an elderly or physically limited family member or friend, you might be one yourself in the future! Keep the railing.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who is approaching that age, I agree. Keep the railing for safety purposes.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
If you desire or need the railing consider modernizing it with a wooden one vs the iron. Just a thought

Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I think Froo Froo was right about the white door. It looks perfect now.

About your entry, I recently saw a six-panel front door in Architectural Digest where the six panels were painted a slightly lighter shade than the rest of the door. It looked great, really gave it dimension, even from a street view. And, for what it's worth, I'd use shades of red from the fireplace since you already have a white/green/brick color palette going on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 42yrs old, healthy, no mobility problems. If you removed the railing, I could almost guarantee, I'd be admiring your new front door color from the ground up while rolling around in your flower bed. I can admit I'm a klutz, not proudly, but I am. I vote to keep the railing.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since wrought iron is the least visible type of railing (and it is making a comeback) leave it in place. I am quite certain the outer post is imbedded in the concrete steps so it is structurally sound. Add two large black urns to the foot of the steps on either side and put seasonal flowers in them to draw attention to your entry.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Repeating the colour of your front door will add further emphasis. See how the red draws attention to this monochromatic entry. Imagine how nice it would look if the door was painted brick red.

posted Hide Post
For the holidays a nice pair of lighted trees would be festive. As you can see, two large urns would be a good investment and would add lovely character to your entry.

posted Hide Post
Nice transformation so far and a good call painting the side door white. Susan makes a good point about the railing. I say leave it and work around it. Something in wood will visually close in the porch. I like the examples of large planted urns. You could even take those small evergreen plants on either side of the flower bed and put them in pots, provided they are a species that doesn't get too large.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to say THANK YOU to all of the great responses. You all provide so much great help. I'll take your advice and keep you all updated on the progress with more photos. Thanks!!

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
I would also advise the removal of the entry railing unless that's a code violation. I suspect it is okay to do since it appears there are only two steps involved. In doing so, your entry won't feel so confined.

I disagree, I like the railing, it's pretty! It's necessary as well, you never know. (I was in a car accident 18 mos. ago).

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I was in a car accident too on the 16th of this month. Sounds like your injuries were more severe and I am sorry to hear that. I suggested it's removal purely for asthetics, but as always, it's a personal preference. If it were painted white, it would virtually disappear...again, another option that the homeowner may opt to do or not. Frankly, it's not an eyesore by any means. I simply posed an idea to contemplate. BTW, it appears that a handicaped person can enter at ground level via the garage door (no doubt interior steps are involved however).

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I DO feel a sidewalk is necessary and would add greatly to the curb appeal not to mention it's practical purpose. I'm thinking red brick like the chimney.

Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
If your aim is to make the garage door disappear then you need to match it to the siding...comon, it's only a few more bucks...otherwise it's competing for attention. tone down the garage door and your there....almost, you still need symmetrical eye appeal to draw one's "eye" to the front door. I would have went black and did planters at the bottom of the steps with something "reaching"...I would have painted the outside door trim black as well. I have a cottage that I painted the vinyl trim in a paint that is "flexible" You need to make that door look larger, and this would do it.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post