Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning/Favorite Find 4/29/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning/Favorite Find 4/29/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Hello everyone and a very happy Monday to you!

Who's ready to share their treasures? Please post pictures, if you're able, or just tell us about them. We always love to hear prices too.
They may be old or new, we aren't picky.

I hope we have a lot of sharing this week!

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We were out and about this weekend -- estate sales and antique shops -- brought home treasures!

Martha

French laundry basket -- $15 FIRST day of sale! Love it on top of my dryer to hold what needs to be ironed. Had another and moved that to coat closet for gloves and hats. Never thought I would find another and so cheaply -- in shops they are way more expensive!

Posts: 5396 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Books -- I adore Beverly Nichols an English writer about homes and gardens and have several of his books and the others looked interesting as well -- books about English life. They weren't "cheap" -- $4 each but reasonable! Saturday they would have been $2 but alas, we went elsewhere!

Martha

Posts: 5396 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A green linen or cotton tablecloth for the breakfast room table -- love it's green color -- it seems so springy -- one of the napkins has a stain so I got the tablecloth and the 6 napkins for $3 -- it's a shadow on the picture -- not a stain!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A little book about herbs -- may keep or may use as a prize at one of my cooking with herbs classes!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A small blue and white oblong plate -- I like these small odds and ends of English transferware -- make good "saucers" for the kitchen window plants!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A linen hand towel -- I pick them up them they're inexpensive for I like them in the bath for guest towels -- both down and up. $3. And I don't really care about the initials. Some are ours and some aren't!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A hyacinth forcing vase. I have several and use them every year for winter inside hyacinths. This is an amethyst one and I ahve a similar shape and size in pink. I'm not a purist about color and they are RARE!!! You don't find them often. It was $17 at an antique shop and I'm not sure they realized exactly what it was! We found more of them in England -- but you do find them here -- I don't think it has a whole lot of age but it was a neat find!

Martha

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Wowser Martha, I'll say you brought home some treasures! YOu found a lot of great goodies.

Love the laundry basket. It has a very pretty weave to it...just might convince me to do laundry more often Smile

I've never seen a hyacinth vase (didn't even know they existed). What a treat. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you had a great weekend of treasure hunting.

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
My find is something I have wanted for years but they seemed to stop selling. I went on the internet and just out of curiosity looked and found someone that sells them now!! One of those tension plant poles that goes from the ceiling to the floor.....I went out and bought some pretty hanging plants for it and just love how it looks in the room!! Funny how little things like that can make us so happy Smile

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
craftybbq -- don't you just love it when you find something that you've been seeking for AGES!

Martha

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Good news crafftybbg! Glad you were able to find it and I bet you smile every time you look at it. Enjoy.

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous finds, Linderhof. I had never heard of a hyacinth forcing vase, either, so I learned something new.

Craftybbq, how wonderful that you found something that you really wanted and that adds joy to your home. It seems to me that it often IS the little things that bring us great pleasure.

I mentioned over on the Food board that I have been enjoying a new cookbook this past week. I read one chapter every morning with breakfast. I haven't tried any recipes yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Oh fun Gracie! I bet you can't wait to try some of the recipes. My problem is I gather recipes and never make any of them Frown

What time should we all be at your house for dinner Smile ?

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Gracie -- she is a favorite and I've made things from her cookbooks.

Here is a picture of a hyacinth forcing vase in action!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Skyler, I certainly have more recipes than I will ever make in my lifetime, but that never stops me from gathering them. You never know when one of them will be just the right thing for a meal. I'm always interested in simple types of recipes as I have no interest in chopping for hours, using 200 ingredients, or tending to a finicky sauce. BTW, you are welcome at my house any time. I'll only need a week's notice...Big Grin

Linderhof, thanks for the picture. That's so neat.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Linderhof,
What a BEAUTIFUL basket! Yes they are usually 'way more' expensive! Smile GREAT find! and GREAT DEAL!!!

The books are interesting, seem to be full of great details! How FUN! They are well worth the $4 a piece! And your HERB book is a nice find too! I have a small gift book I bought in London of Lavender and it is one of my prized posessions.

The napkins and table cloth appear to have like a sun-fade pattern, interesting! I LOVE linen table cloths! NICE find!

Blue and white is ALWAYS a hit with me, I like that pattern and the deeper Navy blue color. The edging is very nice for a plant saucer! When I lived in Massachusetts, I was always on the lookout for window-sill-plant saucers!

I still have a few linen hand towels that I have collected over the years, I love them.

I had no idea that is what that type of vase was called! I had one once from a yard sale... but the purpose illuded me (no internet to do quick search, lol). It is even more special when YOU do use the actual vase for the purpose it was made for! YOUR PHOTO of that vase with the Hyacinth in it! And having your vase with great color, the light will only enhance it!

crafybbq,
What a GREAT find! And you get your garden indoors! I remember those plant holders! I used to have spider plants and ferns in my house, and they can be hung near where they get sunlight when you have one of those handy holders! AND IT made you HAPPY! Smile

Gracie,
What a wonderful way to start your day! It will be so nice to actually cook one of the recipes you have in that book! Smile

AS for ME: Nothing NEW this week as far as 'finds' go. Seeing BETTER in my right eye is enough of a treasure for me! Cataract surgery went well, recovering nicely. So, laying low and living vicariously through all of you with your wonderful FINDS!

I did order some fabric! A friend of mine reminded me of a sale for online fabric, so I checked and the fabric I wanted was in the sale so I got some yardage. Will get it on Thursday. That fabric will get stored until I am back to doing sewing and upholstery projects again. Smile

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
I do love it when I find something that I have wanted for a long time Smile I put it in my tv room so now I will be able to enjoy tv, my plants, crocheting and even napping on the couch if I want Big Grin

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I LOVE The idea of your 'OWN' room! I will have to do that in MY house! Smile

Dakota (Siberian Husky we were watching) is back with her owners now. And you share your space... with Sparky!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
I decided to take a picture and show you my new plant pole.....greenery sure does brighten up a room.

Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
And here is my other find....I got this at a craft bizarre.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craftybbq:
I decided to take a picture and show you my new plant pole.....greenery sure does brighten up a room.

That's so neat, Craftybbq. Thanks for taking the time to share a photo. Half the fun of MMF is seeing the pictures.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Wow Linderhof - you made out like a bandit. I have a similar basket - but I (almost) can't bear to tell you I got it for only 3 bucks! but you are right - those can be pricey, so 15 on day one of a sale is a great deal.

For once, I do have some things to show. It took forever to get this shelf up - a leftover chore from the kitchen remodel - but we did it and now I have pretty little things in the laundry room.

The sheltie plate and planter are just silly finds (as is my sheltie herself!) and the basket is one of two I found this weekend. Witch is directly from Salem, of course Wink

Mostly, I'm just grateful the shelf is in place!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 2954 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnson Bros plates - four of 'em

posted Hide Post
One plate plus one candlestick = desert tray for Mother's Day gift

posted Hide Post
I received my first hyacinth vase from a family friend when I was a child. It was so interesting watching the bulb shoot out roots. I can't even remember if the plant flowered, but those roots held my fascination for weeks!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Junk Collector, those are pretty brackets holding up your shelf. How fun to have interesting things to look at while doing the laundry. Good find on the Johnson Brothers plates, very pretty shape.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Wow -- Junk collector -- I like your shelf and the things you put on it. Nice to have a laundry room that isn't "down in the dungeon"!!!!

And you know I covet blue and white and I love the shape of those plates!

Mary Ruth -- it's not faded but rather the design is the shadows of the forsythia on the table.

It's just the prettiest palest shade of green which should look really good with my blue and white!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I ordered last week and these came today!

The book was from Amazon UK and I ordered it on Sat and got it today! WooHoo!

I adore English country cooking books and this looked like one I would like -- bought really sight unseen! Haven't had time to read it yet -- over tea this afternoon methinks!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I adore Spode blue and white and from the first soup bowls I got in this pattern, Camilla, I've been smitten. A vegetable tureen purchased in England was my second piece and two egg cups my third -- these are a treasure -- it's a "tea set" for 8 -- cups and saucers, plates, cake plate and creamer and sugar!

Martha

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
WOW, lots happened here since last time I posted!
craftybbq, THat plant stand looks nice and brings nature indoors! Love the succulent shell too!

junk collector,
Now you can show off your favorite things in the laundry room! Very handy shelf!

LOVE those Johnson Bros plates! And you got 4! Made a nice desert tray for MD!

Linderhof,
I like the effect of that soft pattern!
The book came FAST!
We don't have any English cookbooks except the 'Two Fat Ladies'! DH loved the TV series and we got the cookbook. He loves the Hunter's sandwich.

That is one beautiful blue and white pattern! I love a lot of the Spode pieces I have been exposed to. I do not own any 'yet'!

posted Hide Post
Now that is a very pretty pattern! I would swoon over that set.

We really need a curtain on that window - when the sun comes through, it is too bright to stand there. Very hard to find anything for it though...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Wow, love that we can share our treasures on this thread but I also love that we can share our knowledge Smile

posted Hide Post
Linderhof, I hope you will report back with a review after you read your new cookbook. Between the Frenchified food cookbook I've been reading and a new Katherine Hall Page book set in Italy, I'm feeling very Continental this week.

That's a beautiful blue and white pattern. I especially like the edges of the cake plate and the handles on the cups.

Skyler, you are so right. I love learning new things and this is a great place to do so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Gracie -- I did get to sit down and thumb through the book yesterday afternoon. And it had some good recipes in it!!! Simple yet elegant -- I do think I will cook from the book!

Martha

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
Gracie -- I did get to sit down and thumb through the book yesterday afternoon. And it had some good recipes in it!!! Simple yet elegant -- I do think I will cook from the book!

Martha

I'm excited to hear about what you try and how you like it. I visited both a cooking store and a spice store yesterday while I was out to lunch with a friend. I bought an ounce of dried, ground ancho chile because it tasted so good. I'm not sure what I'm going to use it in/on, probably something simple like a chicken breast or an egg dish. It might even be good in corn bread, but I don't make that very often.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post