Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  reality t.v. in town
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reality t.v. in town Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
A restaurant nearby has been undergoing a remodel (restaurant something? Robert somebody) the past 2 days and since it is near where we do our banking we got to see a fraction of the action.

If this is any indication of how these shows are done, it takes 75 - 100 people (number told me) to accomplish what the viewer is led to believe is a much smaller number (4 or 5)

It was neat to see the cameramen and the tents and they seemed to have a perfect location for setting such things up. Plus rare good weather this summer.

Posts: 12577 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Probably Restaurant Impossible. The host chefs name is Robert...I like that show.

Posts: 9579 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The people "behind the scenes" makes it look so easy for the stars! I need some "behind the scenes" people some days. lol

Posts: 44 | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Yeah -- I remember the Joan Steffan show -- where she and the designer "painted" the room -- they showed the first rolls of paint and then the last rolls -- in between I was sure that there were guys that did that -- those gals didn't!

I think it takes a lot to make reality TV look like reality!

Martha

Posts: 5887 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, in fact, it is NOT reality at all. If I ever thought it was, that was proven wrong when my cousin's husband appeared on Freshman Class as a culinary student. She was on maternity leave from a good job with the state's tourism bureau (which has taken her abroad) so they were slightly strapped for cash at one point, but the producers of the show made them look like poverty-stricken hicks. I quit watching after two episodes.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I like that -- ams -- reality isn't reality!

It isn't is it?

Martha

Posts: 5887 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
lol..like the twins..i somehow doubt that the one does more than a few camera moments re doing the houses...

Posts: 8528 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had such a long telephone call this afternoon that we ate at the next door place for dinner.

Got to look in the windows of the remodeled place and it didn't look too hot.

This place (remodeled one) used to he both sides. One a bakery the other the kind of breakfast place. This is an old neighborhood standby (all the years I have lived in Maine) It will reopen tomorrow.

I watched an episode of Fixer Upper tonight.
That is more open about showing all the many workers, it's becoming my favorite of that type show.

Always you are right it is that host and show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

posted Hide Post
Oh, LoS, were you able to take photos of all the behind the scenes set up? I'd love to see that!

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hehe, to actually see the reality behind a reality show...

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No CM, I did not have my camera as I had forgotten they were going to be here. We just happened on the event. I'm sorry though as the tent set up was so festive and convenient for the show's producers.

Know what maybe we will go there for lunch and if they let me I will take pics!

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I've seen that show a few times. LOS, have you ever eaten at the restaurant that is being made over? If so, is it as bad as they are going to make it out to be in the show?

Posts: 3265 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
A Maine TV station talked about that on the 6 o'clock news. They said the media had to wait until August when the episode will air to post pictures. Some of the patrons did show pictures from their phones. Gotta remember it * is * a TV show, all about the intrigue.

piney

Posts: 3187 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOS, have you ever eaten at the restaurant that is being made over? If so, is it as bad as they are going to make it out to be in the show?

Yes, I have this is (was) a local standby. Bakery on one side, booths/counter on the other. Basically serving breakfast and lunch. Used to go there often with a friend for breakfast. Mostly I remember the clients smoking. Very smoke filled. But then it changed from orig ownership and the two spaces were individually owned. Haven't eaten in the Uncle Andy's part in many years and that is what was being refurbished.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
You will have to keep us updated on the results!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm betting that the producers will make the "before" much worse than it really is!

Posts: 3407 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
wow Los, thats exciting.. please do keep us updated..

Posts: 9987 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post