Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  I know it's tacky, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I know it's tacky, but... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Annett
posted
I just finished installing a paper towel holder in my third bathroom ---the other two have had them for years. They look a bit tacky, but having them really helps encourage the rest of the family to pitch-in with small clean-ups.

And as I sit here, I notice the old Wysocki prints hanging in the hallway. They were cheap and a little scratched when we bought them decades ago at a Sears Outlet, but we were newlyweds and so excited to be decorating our first home, and they've followed us ever since.

I also have an abundance of throw rugs all through the high traffic areas of my house. They were chosen for washability rather than beauty, and it shows!

Anyone else make decorating choices that you know are tacky, but they just work for you?

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
OK - personally, I LOVE Wysocki and if I were to walk into your house and see the prints, it would give me a smile. Smile

I have little bits of dog art and/or collectibles. Some a bit kitchy, but it works for us! One piece in every room - including the baths. Most is "nice" but hey, I've also got a blue ceramic Cocker Spaniel planter lurking around here somewhere Wink

Posts: 2966 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
My tacky item is a very large ceramic rooster that sits on my kitchen counter. I love it but I know my friends roll their eyes at me about it.

Posts: 8187 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
"Tacky" is often in the eyes of the beholder. Many things enter into our decor choices such as sentimentality, form and function, our sense of humor, our personalities, lifestyle, and passions. If the object brings comfort or joy to the homeowner, we should not voice our personal opinion simply because it does not appeal to our design aesthetic. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Many of these items generally have a story such as the prints the OP mentioned that show their years. They are a gentle reminder of a humbler yet joyous time. They can always be spruced up such as with new mats and frames or flaunt their historical origins and leave them as is. The choice is purely the homeowners.

Personally, my white plaster cherubs may cause a visitor to roll their eyes, but I like them and that is what counts. Tho I have a few here and there, I don't think my home would be mistaken for a cherub museum. Smile

How utterly boring the world would be if we practiced a basic cookie cutter approach to decorating.

Posts: 18397 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Annette, I have a roll of paper toweling in all my bath vanities for ease of cleaning too. Smile

Posts: 18397 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I think it does depend on the eye of the viewer.

Most people though would think pink flamingos in the front yard are tacky or old toilets in the same place used as flower planters.

I'm sure among the thousands of items I have there are some that would be considered "tacky"

Right now I have decided to store tp on those metal holders by both our toilets. There would have been a time I would not have done that, but convenience rules now!

Different people have different ideas of what constitutes tacky and some are ignorant enough to deride those items belonging to others!

Posts: 12176 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
I keep paper towels in my bathrooms too. Comes in handy for a quick cleanup.

I'm sure people roll their eyes at some of my choices but hey this house is to be lived in and enjoyed. I love prim/country decor and have displays in crocks with old rolling pins, old spoons and such and I'm sure some wonder about me because I love old stuff. I know my husband does. LOL I bought and old wire spoon yesterday and he laughed at me. I think it is neat.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5705 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
"Tacky" is often in the eyes of the beholder.

How utterly boring the world would be if we practiced a basic cookie cutter approach to decorating.

quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
I think it does depend on the eye of the viewer.

Different people have different ideas of what constitutes tacky and some are ignorant enough to deride those items belonging to others!

I totally agree!

IMO I have nothing in my house I can think of that *I* consider tacky altho others might. I don't even consider roosters tacky. Probably the tackiest place in my house could be the front of my frig as I have family photos attached with various magnets. I had cleared it years ago as don't like 'junked' up friges but as the Grands give me pics I put them there so I can enjoy them daily.

Tacky to me might be dollar store decor altho there may be some that is not because tacky doesn't really have a price tag. There is expensive tacky stuff and non-tacky inexpensive stuff I'm sure. I think I would consider plastic decor to be tacky *for me* and I can't think of anything made of plastic that I display. Resin is another thing that could be 'borderline' tacky for me altho I do have several resin items I like that I display. Some homemade crafts *could* tend to look tacky but there is a lot of that type of thing I like.

Interesting topic and it's caused me to have a look at my house altho I wouldn't remove anything just because someone else might consider it tacky or even if I considered it so if I like it.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12603 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of pink plastic flamingos, the joke in Kansas City when I was growing up was that you tell who was Mafia by their houses: buff brick, pink iron trim, and pink plastic flamingos in the front yard. In college, I had a boyfriend with Italian roots that I used to tease about flamingos. For his birthday one year, an artist friend and I bought a pair of pink plastic flamingos and jazzed them up with sequins, etc. The boyfriend was tickled "pink" and set them up in his family's front yard. The next evening they were gone. He father had moved them to the back yard!!!!

I've been looking around to find something tacky in my house, but I can't find anything right now. I know how to find out, however: just ask my daughter!!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
probably not so tacky, but really old, are these 2 storage bins 39" wide (same as a twin bed)about 3ft long...my dad had them made for storage in our one br apt in the late 50's? they've held from blankets to paperwork...I currently hav the lenth-wise with a twin bed in front...(my office bed) the top holds books, lamp, and misc, stuff...

my other tacky thigs are plastic towers. (7 drawers) gave my triple dresser to one of my kids and now store undies in one, paperwork in the other!

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
My whole house is probably considered tacky by someone over something!

Big Grin

Doilies, lace, nick-nacks, bathroom throw rugs in the dining room, colors, etc. I don't have plastic on the furniture, though. I do draw the line.

For some reason, our doggies slip on the dining room floor. Our one elderly doggie sprained his legs because they would go into a split. So, we put thick, cushiony, rubber-backed bathroom rugs down where the doggies walk. No more painful splits. And, we wash them at least once a week.

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
The pink flamingo reminds me of a joke by my Mom.

Several years ago, my brother and his family went to Florida, first time for them.

They came back to pink flamingoes in their front yard. Ha!

Posts: 4406 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indexlady:
For some reason, our doggies slip on the dining room floor. Our one elderly doggie sprained his legs because they would go into a split. So, we put thick, cushiony, rubber-backed bathroom rugs down where the doggies walk. No more painful splits. And, we wash them at least once a week.

Both of my guys have been to the Doggie ER for slipping like this. Both times it was total confinement and big time medication and pills. If the rug is down for the dog, it is not tacky - it is love Wink

Posts: 2966 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is not tacky - it is love

I think that's what most of our tackiness is all about--love is the bottom line. Someone we love gave it to us, made it for us, or in some way demonstrates our own love for our family.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Tackiness is in the eye of the beholder. So if you like it, do it! We all don't live in perfect houses where EVERYTHING is in place (although if you blog and take pictures it IS!)

If it works for you to keep something handy that may be considered "tacky" so be it, do it!

I am a girl who doesn't like "things" to be seen -- grooming products are always behind the closed door of the medicine cabinet, makeup is in the drawer of the dressing table, dish soap is UNDER the sink, the TV and computer are BEHIND closed doors.

But that's me!

In other's people's homes do I consider that tacky -- nope -- it's their preference!

Martha

Posts: 5410 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
my other tacky thigs are plastic towers.

When I went up to the attic yesterday I saw some and remembered I have some in the basement I use seasonally. also up in attic is a mirror which I decorated with fake small fruit.

then on my blue room table is an asst of plastic fruit (duh, forgot that yesterday) When we were at DD's log cabin recently my sisters were all in admiration at DD's similar table centerpiece. Mine I got piece by piece from town swap shop!

Martha, Your "out of sight" is 180º from where I am! Not only my china but my toothbrushes, makeup, etc. are displayed. t.v. is kind of a compromise; it is not behind a door but in a niche.

Probably a desire to keep things clean more than anything would dictate whether or not they are enclosed.

Posts: 12176 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
For us it is our plastic (from Lowe's) Flamingos in the yard!

DH and I had a standing joke in Virginia, he made the statement at a gathering with his companies employees about our move. He said 'Ruth loves Plastic Flamingos'.. then it was a joke everywhere we went...because they were implying how 'tacky' they were!!! soooo when we finally sold the house, I said 'I think I will wait until we find a house to buy the plastic Flamingos... he just looked at me!!! We were in Lowe's at the time and I was pointing to them in the garden department!

Well I had my neck surgery a week after we moved into the house (a few days before Halloween) with 'plastic Flamingos out of my mind of course... I had my Cervical spine surgery and was just surviving by resting... and we just let Christmas come without much ado... Then, on Christmas morning, DH opened the blinds and asked me to come near the window... and said 'I think Santa left you something you had wanted'. I was not even on that train of thought (actually survival was my ONLY train of thought back then)... and I saw the two plastic Flamingos I had pointed to at Lowe's.. (same type) and they were in our back yard! That was so sweet!

Then it was a 'joke' among our neighbors till one neighbor said, 'they are not getting along, I don't see them multiplying'! LOL we had a big laugh... a few months later, 2 more appeared in the back yard! DH thought it would be cute... All the neighbors loved that! So, I am hoping they do not multiply too much!!! LOL
But we now LOVE those plastic Flamingos!

I told DH that IF too many show up in the future, I will start a neighborhood charity thing.. where you get 'flocked' and have to pay to get them off your yard and then 'flock' someone else and so on... the idea is to put a flock of Flamingos on the front yard, and they wake up to them... everyone sees it as they drive by... they pay to have them removed and placed onto someone else's yard....

I think it might be fun IF someday a 'flock' appears in my yard (DH would be culprit) and then this game would start... we LOVE the tackiness of Plastic kind so I don't look for a better artistic type... LOL

I am looking at the 4 in the backyard now... and I smile..

plastic Flamingos

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, love your pink flamingos!

I was thinking about plastic stuff and remembered I did, for awhile, have plastic fruit I had bought at a yard sale. I think it came with something else I wanted. However it was the usual inexpensive ugly plastic fruit and not very realistic so I painted it gold and used it for Christmas decor.

Perhaps still tacky to some but less tacky to me! LOL

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12603 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
around here they have a company that "flamingos" you on your bday...have driven by and seen a 50th bday! there were flamingos everywhere!!

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
MR -- for several years a Tourism Fundriaser was "The Flock" -- a whole flock of those plastic flamingos would appear in your yard if a "friend" paid to have them put there. At the start of our "flocking" you could buy insurance to make sure that they never made an appearance in your yard and then YOU had to pay to have them removed. It was a lot of fun, a good fundraiser and I like the think that the flamingos brought smiles to faces around town. We did it during the summer, June, July and August and they were retired until the following year.

I got off the chamber board and those who took my place didn't find the flamingos as charming as I -- so they're in storage!

I'm sure one day they will be resurrected!

Martha

Posts: 5410 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In our old neighborhood, we had a custom of "flocking" a new resident after they moved in. Imagine their surprise to see a couple dozen pink flamingos in their yard in the morning when they woke up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mamaspoon,

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mamaspoon:
In our old neighborhood, we had a custom of "flocking" a new resident after they moved in. Imagine their surprise to see a couple dozen pink flamingos in their yard in the morning when they woke up.

What a hoot! I'd be thrilled to think my new neighbors had gone to the trouble of welcoming me in such an imaginative way.

By the way everyone, I have to admit I'm feeling a whole lot better about putting paper towel dispensers in my bathrooms since reading that a few of you share this practice. Up to now, I figured it was just me and Walmart!
Many thanks! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annett,

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the wonderful ideas and comments about my pink (plastic) Flamingos! It is more FUN when there are plenty!

Posts: 9531 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post