Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Greetings! Also, help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greetings! Also, help! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi everyone! I was searching for a good home decor forum, and this one looks active and friendly. Looking forward to joining all of you!

Now that I've said hello...I'm in a pickle. I'm a first-time home owner, and we bought a fixer-upper. We've gotten two of the bedrooms done and the kitchen/dining room mostly done. My problem now is that there is a big opening from the dining room to the living room, so I have to coordinate the style of the living room with the way we decorated those rooms. We went with Cotton Whisper and Voyage by Behr (a white and med-light blue).

DH wants to go with natural tones since there are two long windows that look outside. I want to go with grey tones and an accent color, since there are beautiful exposed beams and a natural stone fireplace. Thoughts? Advice? Should I upload pictures?

Thanks! Hope I didn't ramble too much!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, pics!

Christie

Posts: 3991 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, hope these post!

EDIT: Ok, that didn't work. Not entirely sure how to post pics on this forum, so I'll post the links for now.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcd...369_1807552743_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcd...3378_423199081_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcd...957_1522604058_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcd...4976_799206824_n.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DIYdarling,

posted Hide Post
The first two pics are from when we first bought the house. The last two I just went and snapped to show the view from the dining room into the living room.

All the furniture in the living room is temporary until we can buy nice grown-up furniture. I really want to keep the fireplace/mantle and the exposed beams the way they are, though I wouldn't be opposed to updating the gold on the fireplace. The linoleum in the kitchen/dining room is going to be replaced with tile that looks like bleached oak. We'll probably keep the linoleum in the living room since it complements the fireplace. The vertical blinds over the sliding glass door are going to be replaced with curtains.

posted Hide Post
First 2 pics from purchase-living room & fireplace, living room to dining & kitchen area.

Christie

Posts: 3991 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From dining into living room.

Christie

posted Hide Post
Dining room to back area of living room with kitchen in colors: Cotton Whisper and Voyage by Behr (a white and med-light blue).

Christie

posted Hide Post
Actually, that one wall in the LR that's painted looks like it's pretty nice with the fireplace color(which appears to be a medium sandy brown) and the beams-from the pics anyway. Would you consider using it on the other paneled walls and using shades of gray (maybe charcoal) and another more lively color (red, fuchsia, eggplant, lime, teal, etc.) as accents? It might be a way to satisfy what both of you are looking for.

Christie

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the picture help, Bella!

It's actually a textured wallpaper from the previous owners. I don't hate it and could definitely see working it into the design.