Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Slipcovers won't fit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slipcovers won't fit Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted
We have a BIG comfy chair that desperately needs a new slipcover. I thought maybe Surefit would have something, but when I talked to their customer service they don't make a cover big enough.

Any ideas? A custom cover would cost easily what I paid for the chair, and that's just not an option. The chair itself is fine but the arms are just shreds.

I can sew, but honestly don't have quite the skills needed to do this project.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Have you checked out other slipcover companies? Have you acquired reupholstering estimates from local sources? Would simply sewing coordinating arm sleeves suffice? Is a throw type cover an option you'd consider if all other options don't pan out?

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Yet another option might be to have the arms reupholstered complete with new batting in a coordinating fabric. Then, if doable assuming their loose, the seat and back cushion could be covered to tie into the redone arms.

Unfortunately, today if you can't find or sew a slipcover, it's more practical to buy a new chair.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
tuck and pin...from toweling to purchased fabric? or what about the usual arm rest "patches" that came with the chair...could you add to them and tuck?

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I really really wasn't clear at all. sorry. the chair is already slipcovered. it's sold as a slip covered chair. the upholstery is fine its the cover that's in bad shape. I've checked with the manufacturer and the store, they don't sell the cover separate.

I got it at Raymour and Flanigan a few years agoCindy crawford Brynn Chair. and it's still available but almost 800$ !!!!

maybe a king size sheet with LOTS of tucking and pinning? I am beside myself right now.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at groups like Pottery Barn that use lots of slip covered furniture. I saw that Calico Corners has a section on slip covers too.
It it's just a portion that has worn do you know a seamstress that could remove that portion and replace it with something that light compliment the exisitng fabric.
We have a club chair the DH bought when he first came to Houston in 1963.... OMGosh but it's a classic design and the frame is perfect... had it recovered and rebuilt a couple of years ago... I couldn't buy anything of that quality these days.

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Kathy,

Since you already have a cover, use it for a pattern.

Or simply sew on coordinating fabrics over the arm pieces of the slip cover.

Sort of like patches for jeans.

If you already sew, it won't be hard to cut and stitch. It's one piece at a time but its hard to find time.

I use one of those quilted throws for a sofa cover.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you can obtain the exact fabric from the manufacturer to redo the arms. If so, the dye lot may not be identical.

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
What about a small loveseat cover? Fit it over the arms, then tuck and pin the excess (depending on the style, you could even take in the excess by sewing).??????

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
This video explains how to sew arm covers.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v...ch%3Fv%3D2ghjZfFP6JI