Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What to do with my wall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with my wall Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi there
I've recently built a new home. I have a large wall in my living room. Eventually we would like to do built ins but they're not in the budget now. The tv will be mounted shortly (right above where it currently sits). Any suggestions on what to do with this wall- more furniture underneath, pictures etc.
thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Did you intend to post a picture?

Posts: 3140 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Posting a pic or two of this wall would help greatly. We will get a sense of scale, your style of decor, etc.

Generally, large walls (especially lofty ones, tho you did not state it's height) commands large scale accessories and furniture.

Posts: 18651 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pic

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
WOW! After you hang the tv, invest in a large entertainment unit that houses electronics, offers storage and display areas. If the unit has side shelving to flank the tv and a topper to bridge the shelving, merchandise the top as well. A potted tree in the corner with the highest peak will fill that space nicely. An up light will cast shadows onto the wall. BYW, when budget permits, your room can take a larger tv.

Posts: 18651 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who had a wall similar, we called it the BIG WALL.

I will let her know about this post, she may have some suggestions.

It depends on how you want to make that wall feel... obviously there are 8' ceiling height walls on either end... so you have an elongated A on that end wall... no beams on ceilings...,

You 'fill' the wall to 8' height or 7' with furnishings... then treat the top portion separately, my friend thought of her wall this way....

Posts: 9705 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Froo but then that smallish TV screen will become kind of lost above.
Any chance of getting one of those sexy screens in scale with the entertainment unit below?

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
If it were my house, my husband would find the biggest t.v. he could!

But, I agree with Froo, a large entertainment center would look nice there and fill up a lot of space.

Wanda

Posts: 4855 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do I see a heat register on the right side of your entertainment cabinet? That will determine the size of your large entertainment unit. For now, hang your TV on the wall, put components in the cabinet below and then arrange your furniture as you want it. You can do a lot with tall plants, filled vases, and floor lamps. You may not need anything else on that wall.

love life

Posts: 1499 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I do have one of those walls. I can post some pictures of it tomorrow if you want me to.

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
craftybbq, Glad to see you found the post!
I hope Sa1821 comes back to her thread...!

Posts: 9705 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've found a built in design 8ft x 8 ft for hubby to build in his free time lol. For now ill try a floor lamp and tall vases!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
wow that's awesome! you could house an entire library...good thing the tv is going up first...remember though...the higher the shelving the harder to clean...

Posts: 8523 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Why don't you do a version of this. Find a substantial horizontal piece of furniture to anchor the grouping, and then make the TV part of an art arrangement.

Posts: 7168 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post