Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  How many different colors are too many?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many different colors are too many? Sign In/Join 
posted
Our house has had all white walls since it was built so I wanted color on the walls. Did I go too far? I have made sure the colors all work together but now the public rooms all have different colors. The living room is silver-gray, dinning room is "tealish" kitchen is "sageish" Green... You can see from the lr into the dr & from the dr into the kitchen. The last room to get painted is the den, now the question is should I use the green one shade lighter than the kitchen or is it ok to use the beige my DH likes? Btw, you can see from the kitchen into the den. Tell me the truth....I think I can take it

Posts: 313 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
What are the flooring materials? Are they the same room to room? If not, it can really look choppy-chaotic if the walls are ALSO different room to room.

Just a thought.

Posts: 4542 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the colours the same value, meaning the same amount of dark or lightness? Since they are all on the cool side of the colour wheel, it should be all right. If you think you want to use the same green in the adjacent room, don't bother going one shade lighter, it won't be noticeable. You need to raise it up at least two to three shades if you want it to be different. Personally, I would paint the den the same green as the kitchen.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not painting your house to please anyone else but you.....and maybe your husband. If you like it then it is good. But I think if your husband wants beige, give him beige. I assume he did not pick the rest of the colors?

Posts: 7105 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The flooring is the same in the lr, dr, & den. It is hardwood. Kitchen has tile. The colors are the same value. I really do like the looks so far. We also took all the wood trim in each room from stain to painted white.

Posts: 313 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds very nice, especially with white trim.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think it sounds nice -- we went from white everything to color and color is good!

Martha

Posts: 6068 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The walls in my house are all different colors. When I chose them, I made sure that each room sort of "blends" with the one that it opens onto. The walls in my living room are a dark khaki color with green undertones. You can see the kitchen walls which are a very pale aqua (again, a green). There is a painting in my living room with an aqua-ish sky that "reads" well with the kitchen and thus further ties the colors together. The kitchen opens onto a bedroom with robin's egg blue (another green) walls and a buff color ceiling. That bedroom opens onto the hall which has the same buff on the walls and a robin's egg blue ceiling. My bedroom is yellow with a greenish undertone. The only room that doesn't blend is my daughter's bedroom which is now the guest room. It is a deep pink. I don't worry about that room blending because it cannot be seen unless you go into the hall. I keep the door to that room closed anyway (to keep the doggy out).

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
You are not painting your house to please anyone else but you.....and maybe your husband. If you like it then it is good. But I think if your husband wants beige, give him beige. I assume he did not pick the rest of the colors?

I couldn't have said it better! I love seeing different colors in a home - it makes the decor much more interesting.

One thing you might think about is to use accent colors in tones similar to the walls in the different rooms. For example use the "teal-ish" or the "sage-ish" color in the LR and den. This could be introduced in fabric, area rugs, decorative accents, or wall art. Even better if you could find a patterned fabric with all or most of the different colors. This connects the divergent colors and makes it look planned. Just something to think about and do over a period of time as you add items.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
dil did that except for the lr, it's almost pea green and looks soooo jarring the other muted colors she chose....the flooring is carpeting except for the kitchen...she said she'd seen it done on one of the sites?

her mom was braver (and better pallet of colors) did old fashion pine flooring, by painting each piece a separate color...think she used 5 total...wow! it took her over a month to complete it...it was her bedroom and thanks be on the smaller side?

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I do have some color from each room in another. It was easy cause I really like these colors and already little touches in the other rooms already. I have to say while it isn't cheap to pay someone to come in and do all this painting it is certainly cheaper than buying a new house which we both really wanted to do. We are also adding more crown molding in the rooms that don't already have it and all the wood trim throughout the house is being painted white as well as all the interior doors. The house looks like a new one with all of the changes. Thanks again, Angie