Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What if we will be without a toilet for more than a day with my bathroom redo..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if we will be without a toilet for more than a day with my bathroom redo.. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
Because we only have 1 bathroom I was trying to think of the easiest and fasted way to get things done without being without a toilet...

If planned out right I know the tile could be set and toilet installed at the END of day 1 with grout being done the following day.

I could plan to be out of the house for ONE night as long as toilet was in the following day.

I am going to have to really coordinate with they guy whos going to do the work to try to time this out right.

But if we had to be without a toilet for a couple days...what could we use? Maybe like a set up for camping?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Posts: 9632 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ETA: my cousin who as has 1 bath with 4 boys is putting in a second bath out by their garage so they can do repairs/remodel to their 1 bath. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury!!

Posts: 9632 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Be frank with your contractor - You only have one toilet and need to know the schedule! I seem to recall not being allowed to walk on the tile in the kitchen for 12 hours or so (basically overnight).

I would plan on a night out for sure, but if the toilet isn't operational after that, you'll need plan "b". And it is just the tile setting the schedule, toilets take no time at all.

Posts: 3342 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a port-a-potty from Wal-Mart for about $20.
Grey - contains roll of paper and seat for comfort.
Line it with plastic grocery bag and put in some kitty litter to absort the liquid. Then you can dispose of the sacks in the garbage. This is a last ditch resort.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Love, Lu,

Posts: 1142 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Camping toilet could work. Friendly, understanding neighbor might be an option?

The toilet can also be set in place temporarily just with a wax ring over the flange, if need be. Just be careful, and sit still, as it could tip if you wiggle around too much. And have a bucket of water ready to complete the flush with, since it won't be hooked up to water.

A drywall bucket under a medical toilet chair or with an emergency toilet lid from Amazon.com can also work. Line with a heavy duty plastic bag, add a little kitty litter or just extra paper in the bottom. Flush the paper (and such) down when you get the stool hooked back up.

Posts: 9638 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
I've been without a sink for nearly 3 weeks! It's a huge inconvenience, but can't imagine being without a toilet. Hope you have a store close by. HAHA

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Don't everybody laugh, but we have a little setup for emergency preparedness. If water goes off, that means no toilet facilities.

We bought a special toilet lid (at a camping store), the fits on a 5 gallon bucket.

And, lots of 13 gallon trash bags.

Now how you use those trash bags will depend, in part, how many there are, how neat they are.

We have put perhaps 10 bags in, put one in, open it up, put one in on top of it, open it up over the edges, and repeat.

When done using the facility, lift the lid and wipe down with wipes, take the edge of the bag and just tie close the lay inside. Put baking soda on top to help with odors.

I'd recommend a couple of bags at the bottom unused to gather up the entire thing a couple of times a day, or whatever.

Baby wipes are excellent in this situation for many things... wiping the seat, wiping hands, wiping bottoms, etc.

Or, stay at a hotel for a night. Or send the kids off to their friends/relatives for a night, leaving you alone with the bucket.

Big Grin

Posts: 4542 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok...so I'm not totally crazy thinking of a temporary porta-potty set up. And I agree Lu, last resort!!

I could be without a sink but not a toilet.

I'm tempted to take out the pedistal to see how the vanity will fit and get a better idea of how much space the vanity will take up...Then I can really decide if I will go with the new vantiy or stick with the pedistal but I don't want to be stuck with no sink till the rest of the work is done.

Picture of norahs978
posted Hide Post
Indexlady, I AM laughing, because I thought I was the only one Wink

Always, it's probably best to plan on spending a couple of nights away to ensure the tile is down and grouted and the toilet is fully functional. From personal experience I've learned that it always takes longer than we expect.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a small RV. When it is winterized (meaning the lines have been drained and anti-freeze pumped in) and we want to use it for the weekend, we line the toilet with two plastic grocery bags, pour in a little kitty litter. We are all set.

I keep a grey Wal-Mart port-a-potty in my van for emergencies.

I believe in that Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared"!!!

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Most contractors will bring a porta-potty to the job site. Besides the home owners, the workers will need facilities.

Posts: 7203 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
Most contractors will bring a porta-potty to the job site. Besides the home owners, the workers will need facilities.

It's not a job like that. It's someone who does this type of work as a side job..

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Oh, gosh, in that case, if it were me, I would book a hotel. Or how well do you know your neighbors? My neighbors would totally let me use their loo, but we are fast friends.

Posts: 7203 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
Oh, gosh, in that case, if it were me, I would book a hotel. Or how well do you know your neighbors? My neighbors would totally let me use their loo, but we are fast friends.

My neighbors would let me use their bathroom, but I'm thinking of more the evening and night-time.

I definitely think the work can be so that I'm only out a toilet for 1 night. Or I should the tile work and that being only floor tile which I think is all I am going to be able to do. No wall tile although I like the idea.

I had a thought this weekend. A motorhome. A lot of people will live in their motorhome while their houses are built or remodeled. I don't have a motorhome but my sister does!!

posted Hide Post
I have had to chuckle to myself about not having a toilet available. Shows how far the world has come in just my lifetime (I'm 69)
Both of my grandparents lived on farms. When I was a child, it was commonplace to use a "slop jar" at night. It was an enameled pail with a lid that fitted under the bed.

One widowed grandmother moved from the farm to town when I was 11 where running water was available. For the other grandmother, there was NO running water available ANYWHERE in the entire county until I was 20. My uncle even built a new house near the highway to avail himself to it. Incidently this county was only 40 miles from a city of 1 million people.