Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Making a box cushion....UPDATE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a box cushion....UPDATE Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
How hard is it. I watched a video on You tube. It told you and showed you how to do it? Is it harder than it looks? I have sewed before, but simple things. I want to make two cushions for my Lifeguard stand!! LOL My dh built it Smile
The Stand is all for fun around our pool when we have parties. Which will happen in a few weeks.
Can I do this???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4748 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can. The hardest part IMHO is getting the corners to line up. Make sure that you have each corner lined up with the one that will be above or below it.

If you make a cut in the edge of the piping as you turn the corner while sewing, it makes it much easier. I am referring to the flat part of the piping that extends beyond the corded part and is the part that is actually getting sewn to the cushion.

Also, remember the old adage "measure twice, cut once." LOL

Good luck,
Candy

Posts: 1307 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
If I can make one, I'm sure you can too. With dial-up you tube is out of my watching. I put a zipper in mine along the back as the cushion was for my granddaughter to sit on while she eats on the built in bench. The zipper was for cushions and came from Home Sew. I used my quilting 6" square to cut the corners evenly, about 21/2" for a 4" cushion if I remember correctly using a 1/2 in seam. Didn't do the cording/piping though. I also zigzagged the material first.

piney

Posts: 3203 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies Ladies. Uuugg I'm just not sure I can do it or want too. My dh says he will help me do it, he doesn't think it's hard...haha.
I told him I want to just wrap the fabric around the cushion like I'm wrapping a present. LOL
He goes your kidding right, I'm not!!! lol

I wonder too how much it would cost to have someone make them for me.

Posts: 4748 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
If you are putting cording in the box cushions remember that cording (and the fabric that covers it) will wear first.

If I were making these cushions, I would make the siding pieces first. One strip to go around the front and the two sides. For the back I would cut the fabric into two long pieces so that the zipper can be inserted first (before adding to long piece for sides/front and also the top bottom pieces.) Join the two longer back pieces with the zipper and then join the ends to the long front/sides piece. If using cording add it to the sides/front/back piece before adding the top/bottom pieces of fabric. Do clip the seams left in the cording (you can do it all along or as you sew the cording on and reach the corners.)

It sounds more difficult than it is.

Instead of removable cushions wouldn't it be easier to upholster the spaces you want cushions for? Even if you had to replace upholstery every year or so?

Posts: 12706 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
LOS, I don't understand your last paragraph, can you explain. Sorry I'm not sure what you meant. Thanks

posted Hide Post
For use around the pool, wrapping the foam is a good idea. The material can be easily replaced if it m i l d e w s. Stores like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and BJ's also have box cushions for good prices if you can find size. I would look now because summer stuff is already on clearance.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lilsophie:

I wonder too how much it would cost to have someone make them for me.[/QUOTE

Maybe not as expensive as you think. Ask around and see if any of your friends or neighbors know a seamstress. My upholstery workroom charges about $50 per cushion which is probably more than you want to spend. However, if you know someone who sews as a hobby, they might be willing to do it for less.

Posts: 520 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If it were me? I would just purchase a couple of throw-able boat cushions/life preservers. They are vinyl/canvas and made to get wet, cushy for seating, and serve an important function as a life preserver at the pool. Bet if you advertised on Craig's List under wanted...some would show up.

Posts: 9619 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thank for the replies everyone they have been very helpful and got me thinking.

Conrad, great idea!!!!!

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I took my fabric to the upholster shop to have the two cushions made. I can't wait to see them, hope they turn out nice. The price wasn't too bad either.

Here's a pic of fabric for the lifeguard stand cushions!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

my pictures

posted Hide Post
Make sure they are sewn with UV thread if you are using them outside.

Posts: 2466 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Meischa:
Make sure they are sewn with UV thread if you are using them outside.

Thanks for the advise Meischa. I will bring them inside for storage when not in use. Or cover them.