Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Help! Building a house and don't know how to arrange furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Building a house and don't know how to arrange furniture Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi all,

This is my first post. My husband and I are building a house and I am stressing out about where to put my furniture. Would you suggest something like this?

Please help! Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sevenxsomething,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Without dimensions, it's all guesswork but, in a situation where the entry flows right into the living room, I like to create a division...in my house, I used a console table to create a "foyer". Maybe your sofa or loveseat with a sofa table behind it at a right angle to where you have placed the sofa could work? I realize that your TV is probably the driving factor here so maybe this suggestion won't work for you. However, I still think you need to create some separation from the entry area.

I'm sure lots of folks will pop in with suggestions...good luck!

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the room, consider two sofas instead of a sofa/loveseat combination. You will have much more flexibility for rearranging furniture.

Posts: 490 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
and i'm wondering about window placement...and is it for "sure" where the tv is? I realize it's not the best on an interior wall with windows casting light, but it might be more pleasing to have the sofa in front of the window...(if there is one)

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
If there is any way you can have your master entrance NOT in the kitchen?

Posts: 9537 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure I like the laundry area in the living room next to the entry. I know you can go from garage to laundry to living room but seems awkward to me.

love life

Posts: 1435 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Thank you for the suggestions. The plan is not alterable at this point.

Do you think using a bookshelf without sides (one you can see through the shelves) as a divider between the living and dinning room would look nice?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Was this a stock plan or did you design it yourself? Are you having the house built? Or building it yourselves? And how far along with it are you?

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7641 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post