Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Plantation Shutters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plantation Shutters Sign In/Join 
Picture of Garden Hobby
posted
For those who have Plantation Shutters, can you give me some information on how you like/dislike them? Are they easy to install yourself? or is it better to have someone do it for you. I know there are different styles of shutters, what do you like about the style that you have in your home? Thank you! Hopefully, this will be our next home project!

Posts: 98 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: Dec 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
We've had them in our last two homes and won't consider any other window treatment.

Do NOT install them yourselves. You must have professionals do the job; they are responsible for correct measurements and installation. Every window has slight variations in width or depth, and the pros are experienced in making the right kind of adjustments and getting them level. It's quite difficult.

As for material, I like the faux wood kind, because they are light weight and impervious to heat, sun and moisture, so they can go in a bathroom or over the kitchen sink. They will not warp like wood ones can.

But, wood shutters in warm, rich stains are just gorgeous. Depends on your decor.

We prefer an outside mount with a wide molding box frame, divided rails and a visible tilt-rod, with louvers 3-1/2" wide, in white or off white. In our last home, we had the super-wide louvers (4-1/2") because ours window were large and we had big views. The narrower the louver, the less of the view you see. Which is great for obscuring not-so-pretty views.

They provide great privacy, various ways to filter the light and also a bit of thermal insulation, if they are mounted outside the window.

They just need a light cleaning with a Swiffer style duster. That's it.

There is just nothing I can find fault with, if they are properly installed.

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Though we've never had plantation shutters, we have had shutters and I wholeheartedly recommend that you have them professionally installed for a proper fit as every window is off to one degree or another.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We have shutters all over our house, but not plantation, just the movable small louvers type.

We find them very versatile and we did . . . well not me but DH . . . install them. But he is actually a very talented wood working person. Shutters can be open all the way, closed all the way with the louvers closed too, or the louvers can be open or slanted up or slanted down.

Actually I was kind of interested to see very similar shutters to ours in "House of Cards" which supposedly takes place in the here and now.

actually ours are not too easy to clean. Over the tub (pictured) or kitchen sink is o.k. because I can hose them off. Otherwise I keep a small fine bristled paint brush to dust them with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I took a pic of these shutters a week ago as they are like the ones we had when we lived in Brooklyn many moons ago.

This is probably my favorite kind of shutter, where only one panel of four is louvered. If the upper ones in this window were closed we would see that the louvered sections would be at the bottom of those panels. Of course these look so good because the windows are tall and narrow.

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
Where is the like button for that window LOS...oh, this ain't facebook.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I have plantation shutters in every room in my house, except kitchen window. I just LOVE them. They are pretty and SO easy to clean.

Posts: 4774 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I love shutters especially on windows like the ones LOS has posted.

Ours are installed at our coastal home and work well with our deep windowsills. DH installed ours and we purchased them from Lowes. They are just the plain faux wood shutter but are easy to clean and I like the fact that we can close the bottom half for privacy while allowing light to filter through the top half. They are also much easier to clean than the faux wood blinds we have installed at our other house.

I think you will enjoy them if you choose to install them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2279 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garden Hobby
posted Hide Post
Update on my Plantation Shutters. I appreciate all of your helpful responses. I called a few online places and spoke to them. I called a few local places and set up appointments to go and see what they had to offer. A friend mentioned the place where she got her shutters and I called them. The owner was out of town and put me in touch with his salesperson who came out to the house to give me an estimate. It was the best house call yet! He was so knowledgeable about his product and this was exactly what I needed to hear. His price with installation was a lot less than I had expected. Now, I am waiting patiently for them to come and install them. Thanks everyone for your input!

Posts: 98 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: Dec 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, Garden Hobby. Post pix when they are installed, so we can admire them.

Posts: 5331 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Aychi said. Love 'em.

Posts: 1717 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
I cant wait to see how they look and what your opinion of them is, Garden Hobby..

Emily, I am in LUV with your shutters~! I also am a House of Cards watcher and its as close to the real way washington works as anything thats ever been shown or toldSmile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sonny Dayz,

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10036 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post