Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Have your color preferences changed over time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have your color preferences changed over time? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Jewel
posted
While I've always admired color trends that have come and gone over the years, I've never felt strongly enough about any of them to abandoned the colors I love to decorate with (navy, cranberry, sage green, and taupe).

I'm looking at freshening my living room by having the couch re-upholstered and buying a new area rug. The rug I have is 12 years old and the couch was purchased 18 years ago. I'm having difficulty justifying these purchases because what I'm buying will be practically the same thing as what I already have -- just new.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have to admit I'm a little bit "color fickle" - not to the extent that I would go out and change everything every couple of years (would never be able to afford that anyway), but once my eyes get really used to the same palette, every few years I yearn for a bit of a change. Since we've been in the same house for 28 years, I've managed it by evolving...the house started with country blue and rose, evolved through forest green, to sage green, tans/golds, burgandy, adding in some black and mushroom...all along removing the colors that didn't quite fit anymore and leaving those that did. It has worked, but I'm yearning more and more for a clean slate to start over with.

For your situation, I say go for it. Sometimes we just need to look at something new. I'd say 12 years is a good go.

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tho I love and have had variations of the scheme of sage, deep rust and gold color, I changed schemes in our MBR and Guest bath- went to the sea glass colors and love it. I just wish I could chuck my LR and introduce a bit more blue into it. Every time I see Martha's((Linderof) collection of blue, or her MMF's of blue I'm in total envy. I can't figure out how to do it. Color me jealous!!

Posts: 3123 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too, mamaspoon! I'm absolutely in love with blueware and it just doesn't work with my current scheme...I've started a small collection for that "next house" that I'm hoping to have, even though spending and storing for a next house isn't exactly the most prudent thing. But at least I get to indulge in opening my storage closet and seeing my "blue collection" Wink

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if I had only listen to Christopher Lowell when he was on! made the mistake of buying a plaid sofa! c.l. always made the suggestion of solid colors with plaid accents...but I live with it longer than I should have...my new sofa is a simple deep beige/brown and will blend in with any changes we make...oh those plaid accents? NOT anytime soon!!

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No matter what my current color preferences are, my couches have all been dark brown. The first was a nice floral print of yellows and oranges against dark brown. The second was a muted paisley print against dark brown. The current is a simple dark brown ultrafiber sectional. I keep thinking I'll do something else next time, but it never happens. Now it's a whole nuther story with the colors of my walls and the rest of my furniture!

Posts: 3412 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My color preferences have been pretty consistent for my whole life. I veer towards warm colors, especially reds, oranges and golds. I also love creams and beiges.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
Until about 6 years ago I was an absolute blue person I LOVED blue.. it was my favorite color for clothes, walls, bedding, dishes anything.

It was a lifelong thing, then one day I woke up and absolutely couldn't stand the color blue for the house.

I'm still living with 3 clue bug chairs and can't find slipcovers to fit them and every time I look at them I realize how much I HATE the way they look.

It's very confusing to me to have such a sudden and abrupt change.

My new prefered paint/ furniture color is green, but not a bright green or a hunter green.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Kathy_in_wlsv,
I wish we could swap! I hated blue the whole time I lived in the NE. The only shade of blue I liked was Colonial blue, and it had no life to it. Everyone I knew used blue... so I never had it in my house in any form.

Then when moving back to Florida a couple of years ago... I suddenly woke up to BLUE! The sky is a beautiful blue, the Ocean is a gorgeous blue.. the sunshine here just makes blues come to life! Now I want to incorporate blue into my home!

I think that no matter what colors we have in our house... we should explore color anyway, even if only in a scrap book we make of our favorite stuff including color. I am in the process of studying which blue actually is getting me motivated, I am looking at Navy blue and Marine blue right now. Love the pale blues in the ocean too.. and aqua with it. So, after I find my 'perfect' blue then I will buy some paint pretty near that perfect one! I have a few samples now and am playing with the colors to see which I like best.

I have found that liking a color and living with it are two different things! I have tried painting a large canvas in my life long favorite green, but could not stand it too long... seems I love the color in nature, but in interiors other shades of green work better for me. Funny how it works... that is why each person must find their own color choices because they effect each of us differently.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9723 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
I remember when you didn't want blue in your house Mary Ruth. It will look great where ever you put it now. I have always liked blue and am loving it in my tv room

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Hey craftybbq,
YES I guess you rubbed off on me!!! Your blue that you used on your cabinet just was so beautiful you got me to jump right in! Smile

Instead of craftybbq, you ought to change your name to craftyblue! lol

Posts: 9723 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm having difficulty justifying these purchases because what I'm buying will be practically the same thing as what I already have -- just new.

If your 18 y.o sofa is in good condition having it reupholstered is a lot less costly than purchasing a new one. And, you'll probably have better luck finding fabric in the colors you still prefer.
I've had mine reupholstered twice; the last time the springs had to be retied. Sadly the new foam (bottom cushions)isn't holding up

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Raising my hand with a paint brush also. I just changed our den wall color to a tropical Florida blue from a butter-yellow.

As Mary Ruth says these colors work well for us FL girls. But it's been fairly easy re-do with simple pillows, drapes and chair seats. Everything else will remain such as white tile floors, furniture and existing lamps.

I was happy to pass along drapes in this fabric to a friend that uses these colors so win-win!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Mamaspoon/Nitalynn thank you for the compliments on my blue ware. I really feel that blue and white is a neutral and goes with anything!

My color scheme now is the same as when we bought our first house and our first furniture -- green, rust and gold and beige. Back then it was a plaid Early American type sofa and matching chair and ottoman, today it is a brown leather sofa and two wing chairs and a side chair upholstered in green, gold and rust fabrics.

There have been different color schemes in between but we seem to gravitate back to the green, rust and gold and beige.

Oh, and we've slept more in a pink flowered master bedroom than any other color starting in our first apartment! DH says it brings out his "feminine" side!! LOL!

I am however repainting some of my rooms a bit lighter (the guest bath downstairs, the sunroom and dressing room . . . and I'm thinking the main bath upstairs) -- we've had the dark for about 10 years and I'm in a bit of a lighter mood.

Martha

Posts: 5918 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My color sense really has never changed except I tend to like beige more than I did in the past.
GREEN in my color - all shades of it. Blue is next but not navy. Used to like gold but I've been sick of it for the past 20 years. Have replaced it with beige and WHITE The only difference is that I've noticed is that there is less green in my house now but it is an undercurrent which runs thruout.

Incidently green is my husband's favorite color too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Love, Lu,

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
IMO it's a good thing when one is so satisfied with one's decor that it's not necessary to change anything except to upgrade/freshen/tweak.

I've always decorated with various shades of brown, blue, and green. However they've been in different proportions in some houses. I've had a collection of cobalt blue plates for 47 years as well as blue and white ceramics from Asia and Holland I started collecting 35 years ago and I've always used them somewhere in my houses.

In the last few years I've added red in small amounts to the mix as it's one of the colors in the newest area rugs and goes well in my kitchen.

I like the color of my walls so much that I haven't bothered having them repainted as I can't think of a color I like as much.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The three homes we've owned over the last twenty years were each very different. I used these opportunities to replace, reupholster, edit, ect.I will say now that I have painted my new living room charcoal, it's harder to read a tape measure or use tiny screws without my glasses. I can see how as she got older, my Mom went for a lot of white!

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I don't think my basic preferences in color has changed because I think it is an integral part of one's being, such as taste in music or art or sports or movies etc.

I like clear bright and/or soft colors or deep rich ones but mostly in blues either way, or greens. I love white. But I also love my brown and white checkerboard floor. I think every room should have a touch of red and black. Also I think it would depend a lot on the house you live in. With our small rather darkish rooms I like white.

For decorating my least favorite choices would be beige/tan/sand etc. orange or yellows or rusts etc.

When I was a teenager my Dad was going to paint my room and asked what color I wanted. I said lavender and he picked orchid. I could not believe he did not know the difference and was so disappointed!

BTW my colors for decorating do not necessarily correlate with those for dressing where I love, burnt orange and rich brown and black! And not too much white!

Our steel bulkhead is the same color as this front door and yesterday DH washed it. It just gleamed and glowed with the slight sheen of the water and looked quite beautiful to me!

Posts: 12630 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is it about teenagers and purple/lavendar? I thought I was unique back then wanting/having a lavendar room and come to find out, it's very common for teenage girls to like shades of purple. Do you suppose it has anything to do with secret wishes to be royalty???? You know, as in "born to the purple". Smile

Posts: 3412 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still love purple and one of my (and DH's) favorite dresses of mine was one I made. It was purple with red sleeves, collar and sash.

I have had white hair since I was 44 and so those colors are good for me. (started changing when I was 13!)

My maternal grandmother I always remember wearing purple dresses. that suggests "fancy" but they weren't; they were very simple in design.

My bedroom here was first a french blue which is kind of a lavender.

posted Hide Post
I can say with certainty that my colour preferences have been the same since I was a very young girl. I have always been partial to blue-green and green. When I was 10 my parents let me redecorate my room and were surprised I didn't want the typical girlish colours like purple and pink. Aqua and white were my choices for bedding and curtains. My friends all swooned when they saw it and told me I should be a decorator when I grew up.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
It's funny you should mention taste in music as part of your nature as well as taste in colors LOS..

I still love blue, but in nature, not in decor..

and in music I've always been pretty eclectic, except for Jazz, which makes me itch..

but about 12 years ago I suddenly discovered that I could no longer tolerate classical music.

Stuff I had loved since childhood, Beethoven, Bach, Motzart, even Strauss and Tchaiskoskfy(?) suddenly I couldn't stand to listen to. I used to love opera of all kinds and now can barely stand a few arias.

I still love rock... what can I say, I'm a child of the 60's and folk, bluegrass, zydeco, all kinds of music, but I miss enjoying the classics.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could no longer tolerate classical music.

Oh, I still love it. I like jazz but not what I think back in the '60's used to be called "progressive jazz" Don't know what zydeco is and don't like rap, love folk and bluegrass and one of our favorite DVD's is "down from the mountain" which is the music in concert played in "Oh Brother where art thou?"

the other night we watched "Dangerous Liaisons" and now I am in love with the opera music from that (baroque)

posted Hide Post
Zydeco is a form of Cajun music that developed in our black communities down here in Louisiana. Believe it or not, the word "zydeco" is a corruption of "les haricots verts" which is French for green beans.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We had a zydeco group come to our town's June celebration. They were very popular but then they got more well known and were too pricey for us. Richard LeBeuff (spelling?)

Martha

Posts: 5918 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LeBoeuf. Smile

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
You've heard of them?

M.

posted Hide Post
No, I haven't heard of them, but LeBoeuf is a fairly common name around here.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
My preferred colors have always been deep rich earth tone fall colors. I guess I'm a fall person. I've never had any blues or pastels.

It's funny I can look at photos of my homes from the past 35 years ....still the same brown, gold, reds, tan, and sages. My metallics did change from brass and chrome to copper and ORB.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7419 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post