Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Blank Living Room Wall Need Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blank Living Room Wall Need Help! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello!
I have this blank living room wall I could use help with. We just moved our TV over so now our room has really opened up but now we are looking at this awful plain white brick wall. I'm at a loss on what to do. As you'll see the rest of the room is painted in a sea foam green with the trim in white. When we moved into our house it was painted this way. We like the green but we are open to any and all ideas. Thank you!!!!

Living room pic

Posts: 5 | Location: texas | Registered: Dec 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome. The pic is super dark tho I see the area that bothers you. Would it be possible to place a tall piece of furniture to the right of the tv/fireplace? Perhaps some shelving merchandised or an entertainment armoire?

Posts: 18685 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
A potted faux tree is another option. With an up light, interesting shadows would bathe the white brick wall.

Posts: 18685 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you

Posts: 5 | Location: texas | Registered: Dec 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome.

posted Hide Post
Could you build a surround for the fireplace? Possibly make it more of a focal point?

Posts: 658 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm clearly on the side of Froo's suggestion for a really, really stunning and impressive looking tree -- a real one! It's just the touch that's needed.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasmineNClifton
posted Hide Post
I would think a new fireplace screen and maybe some metal wall art to balance the tv? I bought a cool modern piece from http://buymetalwallartsculptures.com and really love it! Plus it is really not that expensive.

Jasmine
http://reviewmidicontroller.com

Posts: 5 | Location: Richland WA | Registered: Dec 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much!

posted Hide Post
The actual fireplace box creates a dark rectangular visual which is then repeated by the T.V. You really shouldn't add pictures/paintings because you'll end up with a collection of rectanglar design elements that will not compliment each other.
The pic is kind of dark, but it looks like there is a raised hearth.There also looks like there is a doorway perpendicular to the brick wall on the right side (?) It's hard to tell. Maybe a tall palm in a rustic basket sitting on the hearth all the way to the right.That would create some organic movement to break up the rectangular bricks with the rectangular T.V. over the rectangular firebox. If not a plant a tall piece of sculpture or even tall iron candlesticks of different heights. You need to add something that moves the eye in a more circuitous pattern to break up the geometry.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome wall with great potential. Unfortunately the fireplace is understated. I might even make it more understated by not using a screen when not in use...or even something "smaller" when in use. In the summer stack some drift wood in there and leave the screen off...BUT the fact that it's not symmetrical gives you the great opportunity to hang a large long piece of saaaaay abstract art on the right. Or two large pieces. I'd go for a contemporary frame...the art could even be done by you. Take the colors of your surroundings and add an extra that's not there...just go to town on it.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
Something like this but hung vertically. You put to much knick knack cra* on there and it's going to get so over whelming cluttered.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much good idea