Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Question regarding getting a dresser repaired.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding getting a dresser repaired. Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
I love this dresser/chest that I have in my guest room. I bought it at Marshalls. I should have pulled each drawer out before I bought it but I didn't. Some drawers needs to have something done to them. Some of the drawers do not fit very well or are very hard to use. So I can't use all the drawers for storage like I wanted to.

So my questions. Where could I take this dresser to, to get repaired. What kind of business would I look for? A cabinet maker??? Or don't they do repairs.
Please help, I would love these drawers to open and close smoothly Frown

Here's the dresser once again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

my pictures

Posts: 4695 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Lil Sophie, try interchanging the drawers. Sometimes they are put in the wrong slot. Just a fraction of an inch can make a difference. Also...they rubbing the glides with bar soap. Good luck...

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
HGTV Ideas

Cara I will try switching the drawers. But the drawers and the dresser do not have good glides (dont really have glides. The dresser just has a opening cut in it inside where the drawer goes. And the drawer itself has a wood piece attached that fits it the long slot. Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. lol
Can all this be fixed?

Posts: 4695 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are saying. After switching the drawers (or trying to) rub the glides on the drawers AND the long slot with soap or paraffin wax. That should help. You may have to wax/soap it quite often, depending how much you use the drawers. To really fix this permanently, I would ask a cabinet maker. He may advise you to have metal drawer glides put on your drawers...It is fixable, I am sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1499 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thank you May, I will give it a try.

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Lil Sophie, Yes I understand what you mean as I have a bench with drawers made like that. Dh rubbed the recessed piece and the male section with soap and pulled it in and out several times and it has worked perfectly since then. He said to tell you that if it is wood that you may want to sand it a little. I don't know what else a furniture repairman would do other than that. Sometimes, if you live where it is humid that makes the wood swell. Dh assure me this will fix it. Let me know.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cara I will give that all a try.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I was going to write the same thing as Cara Rose, try that first. I have sanded some drawers with luck as well... soap works wonders, helps it to glide!

The drawer unit might have been exposed to humidity in storage or transport, and changing the drawers around is what I do first. I also take a marker or pencil and mark the bottom of each drawer where they go, DH has a way of mixing them up when taking out and putting back, this way I KNOW where they go to fit the best!

Good luck!

Posts: 9706 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post