Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  FINAL UPDATE & THANK YOU - Which looks better - and am I missing something
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FINAL UPDATE & THANK YOU - Which looks better - and am I missing something Sign In/Join 
posted
Whenever I take pictures of this area they always look so sparse, but in reality it fills up the space nicely - weird. The ceiling 9' to beams then vaulted. Which grouping looks better? What could I do to make them look better? Keep in mind I'm not done decorating the area.

I should also mention that to the left of this grouping is our sectional and the back of the sectional is to this area. We also ordered a console table to go behind it, shown in last picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: christyinco,

Posts: 778 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Close up of above picture

posted Hide Post
Option 2

posted Hide Post
Option 2 Up close

posted Hide Post
Console we purchased.

posted Hide Post
I like #1 but with the px hanging on the wall. To me it looks odd to have something that big sitting on the desk top.

Like the painting.

Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picture #2. It looks cleaner and neater. Your console table matches your desk but does not match those book shelves.

love life

Posts: 1516 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I like #2, but without the basket as it makes it too busy for me. Also, I love the chair, but I'd prob want to slipcover in a vivid color from the artwork. To me, the pic and the chair clash.

JMHO of course. I LOVE that pic most of all tho!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I like Option 2 and wouldn't change a thing!

Posts: 5986 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that a sewing basket on the far left bottom? It looks just like mine. I don't like the idea of having those things in front of the stairs. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Posts: 3412 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay - so keep the desk and do something different on the chair (I have the perfect fabric). OR I could scrap it all and put a couple of bookcases up that I have. The bookcases are not as tall as the picture on the wall, but I could add something to them to add height (obviously the pic would come down). I could decorate the shelves up a bit (they are jammed with books in the basement right now). This would add some visual weight and color to that area. I'm also going to add pics of the rest of the room so you can see what I'm working with.

posted Hide Post
GR1

posted Hide Post
GR2

posted Hide Post
GR3

posted Hide Post
GR4

posted Hide Post
GR5

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I like #2 as well -- the picture on the wall and the "desk" being a focal point -- the two bookcases IMO don't add all that much -- perhaps there is a better place for them.
And I like the tree in the corner.

Martha

Posts: 5915 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#2 without a single doubt.
(I hope that's a real live tree and not a fake-o!)
G-3 is a lovely setting. Don't change a thing.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Christy,

Your home is really shaping up nicely. Love the natural elements that you are using for decor.

Here is another option to consider if they work for the space.

Will the 2 tall bookcases and the picture fit on the wall? Is there enough room? Use the two tall bookcases on the current desk wall and hang the picture in the middle of them. Then rotate the desk out in the room. It could be centered on the window wall and look towards the door or out the window. Your back would be to the bookcases.

The console table would look nice on the wall too with the picture hanging above it. You mentioned the table will be used behind the sofa but just sending more options for you. Smile

It looks like you are having fun decorating. Enjoy the process!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I moved the two tall bookcases upstairs to see what it would look like. Unfortunately, I have a floor return vent on the left side of the bookcases (by the stairs) so if I move the bookcase over to the left or bring in the smaller bookcase also (even though I have enough room on the wall), I would cover the vent. Tell me what you think. Of course I'm waiting to decorate the shelves until I know for sure if I'm keeping them here or if they should be moved. I do like having my back to the wall.

posted Hide Post
Pic 2

posted Hide Post
Pic 3

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Oh, Christyinco, I loveeeee your new design; I would use a space like that a lot!!!

Question, is your beautiful fire place woodburning? If so, does it 'smoke'? We used to live in a house with a similar fp and that dang thing gagged us!!!!!!!

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I really like this new arrangement!! It looks like a better use of your space!

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Fireplace is gas, but can be used as wood burning. My task this summer is to clean off the soot and get a new fireplace screen! That will make a huge difference.

posted Hide Post
Maybe I need the 3 bookcases there.

posted Hide Post
Another View

posted Hide Post
LATEST UPDATE....

I received the console table that I ordered. I looks much better in the room - chunky to match the heavy furniture. The drop leaf table is much too delicate.

So, here is what it looks like right now. I think I may lose the desk/drop leaf table all together. The room is not balanced to me and maybe I need something under the mirror? I've also considered getting a sideboard/buffet for cheap and paint/distress it myself in a yellow color to go on the bookcase wall with my original art above it. Then add another chair in front of the window for a conversation area. I could also keep the desk area behind the sectional, and put the new console table where the bookcases are with my art above it. I'd love your new thoughts! Either way, maybe losing the bookcases would help with scale.

posted Hide Post
View 2

posted Hide Post
View 3

posted Hide Post
View 4

posted Hide Post
View 5

posted Hide Post
View 6

posted Hide Post
Saw this on Craigslist - only $150 - and was 81" long x 36" tall - would work on that bookcase wall great. I could repaint it. Thoughts?

http://denver.craigslist.org/fuo/4555484675.html

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
First impression is that like everything you have going (LOVE your new chunky table)...I like the book cases, it looks nicely accessorize.

The only thing that is throwing me is the chair. I don't see the point of it. Maybe to two chairs with a small table between them would look better, but do you even need seating back there?

As for craigslist piece replacing the bookcases, I really like how the book cases look on that wall. Fills up that wall perfectly.

Posts: 9595 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think that's why I was considering the two chairs with a table. The one chair looks lonely! I did add a floor lamp and a side table - looks better. I'll post an updated pic soon.

This was the inspiration picture for adding the two chairs.

posted Hide Post
This picture too. Chairs are covered with a fabric I used on my pillows on the sectional!

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Late to the party but...I'd like to see a table or chest (MY preference to avoid too many leggy pieces) under the mirror, next to the door. Then decide if you need two chairs, but I think two chairs would look better than one in any case.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3652 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christy, I have been following here and elsewhere. I think your problem is you have not defined what you want that corner of the room to do. Do you want a desk area? A reading area? Game area? Or just a pretty area?

Once you figure that out you will have less trouble deciding what to put there.

Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This area is really just a pass through area. I don't want it cluttered up since it's the main walkway from one end of the house to the other and the front door area. I just wanted to balance out the weight of the main area (sectional/fireplace, etc) with this back wall area - without looking like too much. I'm feeling like it's all too many little things and is starting to feel cluttered. I think that's why I was considering the buffet with art there - and leave it at that.

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
If that's what you're leaning toward, then I would consider moving your furniture grouping back into this area a bit so it doesn't look so empty. Not sure how much area you have there but it seems like you could move everything back a couple of feet and still have a generous walk through area. I would still like to see a small chest of drawers (or cabinet) with a lamp next to the door as an entry table and then your buffet with lamps and art above on the other wall. Love to see lots of lamps throughout a room and, in a room the size of yours, on the perimeter, too.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3652 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I don't mind seeing one chair in that corner, if you want to create a cozy reading/library nook.

If you do, find a larger armchair and pair it with an appropriately sized ottoman, preferably matching. Or, even put in a 60" or smaller chaise longue. Plus a more substantial side table with a table lamp and/or swing-arm floor. Again, it is a matter of scale. You will still have plenty of walking-around room. (Removing the tree would help, so you push the chair back.)

Here's an inspiration pic for a cozy reading corner:

Posts: 5292 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would move the drop table from behind the couch....you already have the console on the other side. I would put two matching chairs, with a small table and lamp in front of your window. Bookcases are fine. Nothing under mirror.....getting too much in there IMHO

love life

Posts: 1516 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Ooooh after scrolling through, I like those bookshelves and chair for scale and balance with rest of room....very functional. Thanks for providing so many angled shots of rest of space! AND they look so much more interesting with books mixed with decorative items and shapes vs their prior life with only lots of different colored books. GREAT CHOICE! Big Grin

That Craigs list piece is interesting....would need something above to fill space....since you already have bookshelves maybe that cozy reading corner would be a good long term choice rather than just storage display area.

So after considering all your other choices I definately would go with two bookshelves and chair with plant option it flows with rest of space and has intentional function...the round mirror across way at similar height is nice for the eye.

I see a bit of lodge theme going on....love all the earth tones....your space is looking great! Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenAlice,

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7321 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
To add my new living room is rather rustic cottage lodge and my son keeps teasing me I need a animal head or antlers somewhere....lol I keep telling him I am getting jackalope... Razz

A antler rack or mounted head would fit over your fireplace! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
LOL! I love the jackalope!

We actually have mounts - deer and antelope, but not in the house. They are in the barn, where I think they belong Smile

I went into Pottery Barn yesterday and ended up talking to a design consultant in there. Showed her pics of my area and she laid it all out for me - and made it seem so easy. She said keep the bookcases (could paint them grey if I wanted), do two chairs in front of window with table in between with lamp. Console table behind sectional on door side and other console/desk on other sectional side. Add a small cabinet under the round mirror.

She told me that my problem is that I've been trying to squeeze everything in the corner and need to add flow, hence the other chair and table under mirror. I moved everything into those positions and it feels great. Much of what was suggested by you all. I don't have the other chair or cabinet yet, but will post final pics when I do.

Thanks to all for your support and patience!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Yep I agree with putting them in barn....Big Grin I like many aspects of refined rustic lodge, but no animal parts thank you.

Pottery Barn had some cute mounted faux antler plaques last year I was considering because they were small and a nice grouping, yet noone was harmed....Razz.

It's always great to bounce things off the Pottery Barn ladies! Smile

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
I put a huge terra cotta red barn star over my fireplace.....but mine is not the beautiful rock face yours has! It's a statement of it's own. Smile

posted Hide Post
So, I've decided that one of the best things you can do when you are frustrated with a space is to leave town! I had to leave for a week and when I came back into my living room, I knew exactly what was wrong. I spent the next day moving things around (took all accessories and wall art down - then just moved big furniture around). Once all furniture was in place, I added accessories and art back up. I cannot tell you how much better I feel. I really love the way it came together. I did end up putting two chairs in front of the window and am going to get them reupholstered - can't wait! There is still some small tweaking that needs to be done with accessories, but overall I am so very pleased.

Thank you all for walking this journey with me. I will post final pictures once I have everything done. BTW, I had a friend come over who was following my posts and said it looks totally different once you are in the space than online. One of the challenges of posting online.

One other bit of news - I'm going to be taking some design classes at our local comm. college. I'm tired of fighting design and not understanding the principles behind it.

Thanks again!

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Glad you come up with something you are happy with.

Posts: 9595 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post