Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  getting through a renovation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting through a renovation Sign In/Join 
posted
OK- my daughter closed on her house on Friday. On Saturday they went in and started demolition. They are taking out and replacing all the floors, gutting and redoing the main bath and the powder room, as well as painting the kitchen cabinets and the bedrooms.

They have to work with water damage from a leaky toilet, as well as cat pee absolutely everywhere!

Oh yes... and they have about a week to get it all done and get moved in. (because we have sold our house and they live with us)

I can help with a lot of this- and my daughter is looking for my guidance. But she's also driving me crazy!

Just now she called in a panic because she needs paint for the baseboards and trim. I told her to pick a shade of white that she likes (in semi-gloss) and plan to do all the trim work in the house the same color.

Easy, right?

Not so much. She's worried about picking the wrong white.

Can we survive the next week?

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Wow, all that in one week! It is going to be a crazy busy week for sure!

I feel for your daughter. White can be a difficult color to choose as there are so many versions of white, and some are great and some aren't, depending on your light.

Keep us posted on your progress! And I am sure you will survive!

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
TQ,

Good luck next week!

Lots of coffee, wine or chocolate coming your way.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can help as best as you can, but you'll be leaving shortly and the kids will need to do stuff on their own as best as they can. We were transferred early on in our life-moved to new town where I knew absolutely no one, house needed paint and some updating, I had a 3 week old and 2 year old and my DH travelled alot for job. Boy, did my big girl panties go on real quick. Looking back, it was the best experience for us and taught us to rely on each other and stand on own on two feet.
Good luck.

Posts: 3121 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
tomato talk her into bright white for now..no matter what color she chooses for the walls and ceiling, it won't look "dingy" against them....

big warning!! when they remove the old carpet/flooring! be sure to have them paint/seal the SUB floor!!! i'm a cat person and it goes everywhere, down...in fact, we're going to have to remove dry wall in one area...oh, and btw you are great mom!!!

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
My paint recommendation is BM ow 30. It is a soft white and I have used it throughout my house for over 40 years. The paint store tells me this is the white our museum usees.

Your DD sounds like my DD. . . indecisive whereas I am the opposite!

Good luck to you all!

Posts: 12601 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I discovered this forum and others, I didn't know to stress over white trim paint. I picked SW Dove White in semi-gloss and it looks fine with all my wall paint selections.

Maybe I just don't know any better Smile.

Not to make light of others concerns, I would probably be more picky about a white for my cabinets which would lead to the right white for trim.

Posts: 650 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
"Fresh as the first snowfall, this clean, crisp, multi-purpose white is a perennial favorite for trim, ceilings, and walls."

Quote is from BM's site but it is a nice white.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oc-117

Good luck, hope you all stay sane! Smile

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12734 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
You've probably already researched this but I can recommend the enzyme products for removing cat pee smell. Once one of our cats was closed in a bedroom while we were away and I bought a gallon of enzyme product and it worked very well. Can't remember the brand I used but it's probably one of these or a similar product.

"Simple Solution, Nature's Miracle, Complete Pet Stain and Odor Remover by 8in1, and Capture Pet Stain and Odor Neutralizer are by far the most effective products I've found for cleaning cat urine."

Quote is from here: http://www.getridofthings.com/...rid-of-cat-urine.htm

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12734 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More important than paint colors is to SEAL everything the cats could possibly have wet on.
They may have even sprayed the walls. We even sealed our concrete basement floor from the previous owners cats. My neighbors sealed everything just from the previous smokers in their house.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wish all of you the best of luck! If your daughter is not too sure of what shade of white, tell her to find something around the house that is the color of white she likes. (Could be a cotton ball, a coffee filter, whatever.) From there she can take it to the paint store and chose the white that is closest.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A neighbor's huge tree fell on our house 3 weeks ago during a thunderstorm so I know what you are going through.
Fortunately for us, we were in another part of the house or we would have been crushed to death.
Because of the danger and devastation, the township ordered us to move to a hotel till the offending trees were down.
Luckily, our "once" screened-in porch and some of the house roof are the things that took the heaviest hit.
The inspector pushed our permit up to the front of the list and our contractor was able to start immediately.
My point is, it is taking them 2 weeks to do this job (weather conditions included), so I was wondering whether, under the circumstances, the people you sold your home to would be kind enough to allow you grace of another week to get your daughter's place move-in ready.
There is so much more to do with her place than mine and I realize it is mostly all indoor and that weather shouldn't impinge on the resulting time but still...

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Since it's been a week, she's probably moving in by now and will hopefully will have figured it out while there was some time.

My priorities would have been getting the floor in the bathroom fixed and getting rid of the cat pee stink. While inconvenient, finding the perfect color and painting (or repainting) once moved in is a project that can be accomplished over time if need be. Clean and safe are always my first priorities. Ugly can be dealt with later.

So, with all that, did you manage to not to lose your own mind since you're moving too??? Smile

For the cat pee thing, I used to visit an adoption center for cats on my lunch. It was in a mall in a nice area of town and they handled only stray/abandoned animals. There were probably between 20 and 30 cats and most were allowed out of the cages to socialize and play throughout the day.

When there are that many animals in an area there WILL be incidents of territory marking and inappropriate elimination. It always amazed my that there were never any bad odors. Since I have always had several cats and am familiar with the problems that arise, I asked them how they controlled the inevitable odors. Their answer was 1 part bleach in 10 parts water. The beauty of it is that it's cheap and readily available in any laundry room. I haven't and wouldn't recommend trying it on carpet or fabrics though, but it works great on hard surfaces.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post