Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Post card decorations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post card decorations Sign In/Join 
posted
My home has a nautical theme throughout. Primarily, I have a lot of wooden sailboats and seashells.

I have received and collected 50 postcards that show some form of water from all 50 states. My question is:
HOW DO I DISPLAY THEM?

A. Do I put them all in black frames?
100% of my art so far is framed and matted in black.

B. Do I put them in the same frame or a variety?
100% of my art has a very similar, style of frame. The only exception is an over sized mirror.

C. Do I put all 50 on the same wall?

D. If the answer to C is yes, do I do them in vertical lines, or in mixed and matched on the wall.

The basics:
Furniture: Espresso

Flooring: Cheery

Walls: Paint; Blueish greys, think BenMor: Ice Fog + French toile

Trim: White Wainscoating/border

All art: Black frame + black matting on every single picture

Nicknacks/decorations: Blues, tans, whites.

Let it be.

Posts: 5 | Location: Washington | Registered: Aug 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not be a little different this time and make a collage out of it, overlapping cards, etc.)?

Posts: 1717 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
You might get a large map of the US and attach each postcard to it's appropriate state.

Or something like this -

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Or find an old lampshade and clip them to it -

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, group them all together, it's a very nice collection with memories attached.

Lucky

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful collection (I would like to know the subject of the postcard of Maine!)

I would also group them together Could you post pictures of where you are likely to place them?

I think individual frames would be 1) too costly 2) maybe too ditzy Maybe you could choose several large frames and group them by say New "
England, mid atlantic, west, south, etc.

Posts: 12935 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my clients has a collection of clipper ship pictures that are all the same size. We chose one large frame and had a single mat cut with individual openings for all of them. The display has so much more impact than if they were framed separately. The collection became a work of art when done together.

Posts: 543 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I think I like the idea of one large frame, with the matt cut for each one individually.

I do not have the postcards out yet, I am still unpacking. When I find them, I will get back to you and let you know what Maine looks like.

Now all that is left for me to decide.
A. Do I arrange by region, west to the left, central in the middle, east to the left.

B. Alphabetical order.

Some of them do not say the state on the front but I know where they came from Smile

Let it be.

Posts: 5 | Location: Washington | Registered: Aug 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B. just because it would be easier to remember where each postcard came from!!

What a cool collection!! Smile

Posts: 151 | Registered: Jun 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
You could also put them in a big rustic jar and keep them on a shelf or on your coffee table.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CallMeMartha
posted Hide Post
You may find that having a 50 opening matte cut will be cost prohibitive. Having a custom matte cut and framed with one opening is outrageous. And of course just my opinion, but I think that option may look a little....museum exhibit-ish? But whatever you decide, show us how it turns out!! Smile

Posts: 4282 | Location: Texas | Registered: Jun 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hobby Lobby will cut individual mat openings for $2 each. There are lots of sources online for inexpensive frames and even if you paid $100 for one, with a mat it will still only cost you around $4 per postcard. Individual frames, which in my opinion would look busy, will run you at least that much. Oh, and having helped someone hang sixteen family photos in a hallway (and trying to keep them all level and even) I can tell you it is not an easy task. I can't imagine trying to display fifty individual framed postcards.

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your thoughts!
I think I have decided to go with a combination of ideas.

I am thinking five frames, ten postcards in each.

This will have them grouped easily and allow me to group like postcards together.

I forgot to mention one key element: Some are horizontal, some are vertical. That put a small wrench in the works but I think I can manage if I do it in alphabetical order.

Let it be.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like the perfect solution! Do post pictures when your project is completed, please.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some are horizontal, some are vertical

I had wondered about this. Look forward to seeing them done!

Posts: 12935 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
This will be interesting to see finished and hung up on the wall!
Sounds like a GREAT way to decorate your wall!

Posts: 9806 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Yes, please post pics of what you do!!

Have you considered framing them so that both sides can be seen? I mean so that the back is also clear glass. That way you can always take them down and read the backs of the postcards.

Posts: 3228 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
This is why I love this forum. Talented amateurs and professionals throw out good ideas and the original poster uses them to create an even more perfect solution.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: busyjo,

Posts: 1637 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post