Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Round dining table...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Round dining table... Sign In/Join 
Picture of rubyruby
posted
I've always had a rectangular dining table, but I'm thinking I might want a round table in the new house. I think they can be quite versatile. I found this one below. I like it, but I know that I could find a much better made piece at an antique store. They just don't make things the way they use to

http://www.humbleabode.com/?pa...e&sortDirection=desc

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I LOVE round tables, and have had a few in my life.

Do a Craigslist search too, I found the breakfast table I had in my Virginia house (photo attached) we never needed to open this table since it was just for breakfast for us. When we had guests we switched to the dining room.

I have a round mahogany table we are working on at the moment so I do not have an updated photo...

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

VA breakfast room

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I've been searching craigslist and I've not really seen anything that is formal and what I'm really looking for. But I will check everyday! Smile Thanks Mary Ruth.

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
this is nice
http://houston.craigslist.org/atq/3985493019.html

posted Hide Post
I have a blond wood bamboo haystack round glass top dining room table and it seats 6 people very comfortably.
Much as I love it, if you plan to entertain more than that, I would consider the rectangular instead.
http://www.alibaba.com/product...ck_Dining_Table.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Ruby-do you have a picture of your dining space area?

Posts: 9427 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I've had every shape, except square...I just went from round/oval back to rectangle but my dining area is smallish...

I like the round table you pictured with the pedestal base. That leaves plenty of room for getting lots of chairs around the table if needed.

Posts: 9427 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
well the type of table arepo has... has NO way to expand it! My Mahogany table comes with two leaves and has room for two more! We are going to make a large center one if we ever need it.
It would hold 10 if we needed to. But closes up to a round circular table when just the two of us.

When I use it for a project, or have someone over, I put the two regular sized leaves on it and have lots of room.

the table you showed in your link... I have one just like it and intend to use it as my sewing machine table. (photo attached) mine opens in the center and came with leaves to extend. I can take this table out of the guest room and set up as separate table IF we ever had Thanksgiving dinner here.

3 leg table

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Round tables can be space savers and they are great for conversational flow. Try to be patient and I'm sure you'll snag the perfect table at a great price. If there are furniture consignment shops in your area, they can be a great source of quality furniture at affordable prices. I have found they are hit and miss, but you just might find a gem in such shops. Also, ours offered delivery at a reasonable fee since our armoire was heavy. It was well worth it.

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is your room square or rectangle? What is the maximum number of people you want to have seating for? A 60" table will seat six comfortably and a 72" will seat eight. You can sometimes squeeze and additional chair or two in if the chairs (and guests) are narrow. If you find a table with a leaf to make it into an oval, it will give you more options. However, round tables with leaves generally come in 48" widths. What ever size table you want, be sure to add a minimum of three feet to that width so chairs can be moved in and out without bumping other furniture or the walls.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Ruby,

I love round tables also. My table is 56 inches round and has one leaf. It can difficult to find table cloths to fit when it is oval. Usually use a 70x 90 oval as I don't care for rectangle cloths. For now, it stays round and has 1/4 inch glass on top.

Our other table is 48 square and that works well too. It has 2 leaves to make it larger if needed. It's by Saloom and there are options for table size, finish, chairs, and fabric selections.

http://www.saloom.com/legs/spiral-leg-table

Good luck with your hunt and decorating journey!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I plan on buying a round table too. The large rectangle table in the rectangle room makes for sharp corners and tight quarters when family visits. Pedestal so that knees don't whack table legs. Unless I find a tremendous deal New, it will likely be from Craig's or a flea mkt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 2962 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
The dining room is: 12 x 11...approx. It looks a little bigger to me. We want to sit 4 comfy...6 should we have holiday dinners or dinner parties and I'm thinking a 54 inch round would be perfect if it has leaves to expand. Here is a link to the house again.

http://search.har.com/engine/3...7345_HAR17264365.htm

I wish I'd taken measurements of all my larger pieces so that when it's time to move in, I'd know exactly where this that and the other goes.Nothing worse than pointing to 4 movers when our furniture is being brought in. The living room is 19 x 14 and my couch in quite large and deep. I know that the room will not be able to accommodate in my Chair and a half into the space. I'm fretting a bit...but excited about getting some new pieces to fit the spaces. We went from downsizing to upsizing. I got rid of all my formal living room pieces several years ago. This is a good thing because what would be the formal will be a study/office.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
beautiful drop leaf table Mary Ruth!

posted Hide Post
Have you tried Etsy for vintage tables (or perhaps handmade in a vintage / antique style)? You can find some sturdy well-made furniture on Etsy sometimes.

This link looks promising--he makes tables similar to that one pictured above out of reclaimed oak:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/11...S&ga_search_type=all

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
my dad had a round table made for me in the office shop in 1964...even when i went to a smaller square for the eat-in kitchen, i just dismantled and still have it stored...it seated 6..and we had many a card game on it...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I got a round table at a junque shop near here about 25 years ago. its HUGE 60 inches across. Its a drop leaf style with a trestle base. I paid about $50 for it, and felt like that was a lot.

I think its pine, very old soft wood anyway.

The kids did their homework on it for years and I can still read some of the writing, math problems and a picture of a ship.

we can fit 6 around it easily.

My only issue is that we have to keep the leaves down, for space reasons AND because the trestle base makes the table tippy if a child (or adult) leans on an extended wing. oh and I can't find a big enough table cloth for it. a 70 round leaves just a scant 5 inches or so hanging.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Kathy, a 60 inch table uses a 90 inch round cloth. They are difficult to find in stores so I buy mine on eBay.....easy to find.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checkout this gallery.
http://shop.killeenfurniture.com/diningroom.aspx
You will find a huge range of round dining tables here.

Posts: 77 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post