Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blinds Sign In/Join 
posted
Finishing up my kitchen/dining room area and now ready to figure out what I want to do for blinds. Curently we have verticle blinds and I do like them but wondering if they are "dated". We have a french door with bay window on each side of the door..Not much clearance on top of door/windows because the sealing drops there. Plus the family room window is on the same wall so I'm thinking the should really match. I have been trying to for ideas but can't find any. Help!

Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have blinds horizontal blinds in kitchen and the small windows in the bathrooms. I am thinking about the honeycomb shades for the living room with panels on the sides. Maybe a valance to hide the hardware at the top. Will price a top down for the large window. Really a double, but not much of trim between them. The top down would allow privacy yet let in some light, then at night more privacy. One window needs light control especially in the summer. A long high window, just needs to match the others.

I will follow what suggestions you get too. Glad you asked.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6176 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Do you need blinds for privacy or light control? Can you post a pic ?

Posts: 3041 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the top down/bottom up cellular shades?
We have them and really like them for privacy/light control and insulation from heat and cold. On the french doors they are secured at the bottom (no blowing in a breeze) so only go one direction, down to open and up to close.

Posts: 9438 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can opt for Cornice boards. They are perfect for your needs, they allow light to pass in and are very stylish. Check out http://tbsgallery.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thomasjacob,

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love cornice boards but they won't work because the ceiling drops down by the door opening and not enough space Frown

posted Hide Post
Not to mention Thomasjacob is a spammer.

Posts: 784 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Could you use a roller shade with a short valance over it? Is there enough room to do an inside mount or will the WT need to be outside mount? Perhaps even a ceiling mount is a consideration for the space.

The solar shades are nice also. There are different materials you can chose from to coordinate with your other decor. This is a pic of one that I've recently installed so you can get an idea.

Do you have a pic(s) to post of the different areas? They would be helpful to make additional suggestions for the windows. Good luck with your project!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9342 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help. I have attached a picture of the French door/bay window. There is also a large window to the right in the family room that I would like to match. The kitchen is basically traditional with maple/cinnamon cabinets, Cambria countertop, stainless steel appliances and wood floor. I plan on replacing the rug and table in this picture.

posted Hide Post
In your original post you said you like them. Why would you take them down just because someone, someplace decided they were "dated"?

Conrad, I do not understand how you can use bottom up shades on a patio door. Don't you have to have something for them to fit into on the floor? I just can't picture that.

Posts: 6736 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it isn't so much the style but the color. I have had them for almost 20 years and just tired of the color and since I just redid my kitchen thought it was a good time to change the color. I thought since I was changing the color it would be a good time to get a different look.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic. It tells "the rest of the story". I like the verticals for your space as they function well either open or closed. You could purchase just the slats in a different color or material. They just clip into the rail at the top. Easy to do. The current ones are a pretty color and lots of potential to bring in coordinating fabrics for chair cushions.

What is the slat material now? Plastic or fabric could be painted also. There are paints for fabric and of course spray paint would work also.

The valance piece at the top usually slides into place. There is a small lip it fits into. You can cover that or make a new piece with any designer fabric. I suggest a solid fabric or texture to avoid designs being chopped.

It does look like a difficult situation to do some of the other WT in that space. Do you need privacy? It seems the verticals really serve the purpose well for that.

But...one other solution is to remove the verticals and then do a panel treatment on each small window.

This rod will also allow a corner installation at different angles if you wanted to use ring clip curtains.

http://www.countrycurtains.com...rtby=ourPicks&page=2

More corner connectors...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/corner-window-rod

HTH and of course Good Luck with your project!

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Well you really have a fun project. So a few possibilities for fabrics.

http://www.housefabric.com/Harmony-Spa-P3335C646.aspx

More fabrics here too.

http://www.calicocorners.com/c...+fabric.do?leftnav=1

You could always take a slat off and take it with you to the fabric store.

posted Hide Post
Thank you Beau's Rose! I am okay with keeping the verticals. I do think they work well. They are actually fabric. I do like the idea of keeping fabric but like I said I am just ready for a change of color. So where would a person go to get just the fabric to fit into the current hardware?

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
It looks like you have a lovely view from these windows/doors. So maybe you don't need anything?

Have you thought of stationary curtains for the two side windows and swing arm curtains for the doors that could be swung over the window sections during the day time?

It looks like a very nice inviting space.

Posts: 12200 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI,
Hope i can help you, i would help you. You just try with the following online shopping website for your confusions. There you can find number collections which suits your query

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I like blinds,I don't care for them in the kitchen. I find they attract airborne cooking grease which dust gets stuck to.Would sheers on a rod work? There are plenty of online companies that sell the flexable elbow brackets for the corners so you wouldn't have to do a custom rod. Plus the sheers could be occaisionally laundered. Just a thought.

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles, we don't really have a problem with that because the windows are quite far from the stove. Not really a "sheer" person. Feel they look kinda formal and this is not the formal part of the house Thanks for the idea though.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that fabric vertical replacements are available.
The replacements I've seen are plastic.

But you could use fabric paint to change the color.
Do you have any extra slats to practice on?

Fabric will also work to replace the thin valance
at the top of them.

posted Hide Post
I took the valance off my verticals....liked seeing just the narrow travis part, and intend to glue some kind of ribbon/tape on it. You can paint fabric....so you could paint the verticals a different color.

love life

Posts: 1432 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few of you have suggested painting them. Has anyone done this? I had not even thought about that but could be a really good idea. Do you just buy spray paint that is for fabric?