Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  these years porch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

these years porch Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Every summer for the past 40 years I wash and then set up our screened in porch. This is quite a job as we have to leave the furnishings (covered) on the porch for about 9 months. Our summers in Maine are brief so we find this porch really comforting and "cozy" Every summer I do something different to the one wall that has any space. This is the look for 2014

Posts: 12935 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I "recovered" the chairs and hassock. This was done by using fleece throws (5 for 2.99 each) I just pinned them about the cushions as I was not up for sewing. In the fall I will remove the "covers" and wash them!

posted Hide Post
We can seat seven on the porch which is only 7'
X 14'. We have found that people like being a little crowded here!

When we bought this house there were many, many spindles missing from the four porches. Ed removed all from this porch and replaced the missing ones on the other three porches. He then removed the railings and made the screen panels.
they have served us very well through the sometimes harsh weather here.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Always enjoy seeing what you do each year.

Wish we could enjoy more time outside. This week it is hot and humid. The nights are not cooling off a lot.

Enjoy your outdoor living area.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6338 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice place to unwind and visit!

Posts: 4570 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
you are sooo lucky to have "real" wicker furniture...my sister had 3 pieces which the family still uses...have you ever repainted yours?

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
The porch looks very cute LOS. I'm loving that color of green, very pretty.

Posts: 4774 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
you are sooo lucky to have "real" wicker furniture...my sister had 3 pieces which the family still uses...have you ever repainted yours?

No, I haven't. the rocker is fairly new but I left it uncovered this winter which took a lot of finish off. The settee is from a yard sale, don't know how old that is. the rattan chairs I have had for about 30 years but they are much older. I saw them in an old Bette Davis movie from the 1930's.

DH told me we have a paint sprayer so when the necessary spring chores get done we will repaint all pieces.

We are having glorious weather the past few days and so ate lunch, dinner yesterday here and breakfast this morning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
i have a back screened in porch and it is absolutely one of my favorite places to sit in the morning and evening!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5593 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Great atmosphere! Love the addition of the painting for this year!

Posts: 9806 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Love you new rendition. Screened porches are the greatest. Last year we had a TV out there but this year we opted to keep it natural and quiet and a place to visit with each other.

LOS I agree that it is quite a job. We cover all the furniture with a huge plastic cover and carry all of the coushion inside as well as moving all of the houseplant out in apring. I had help setting ours up this year. DH insisted on hiring me some help because I was recovering from a broken foot.

I'll think of you enjoying your in the morning when I am having coffee on mine.

Posts: 1637 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
So cozy! Love the painting. Smile

Posts: 903 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Love.......... did you paint the mural?

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CJO that is one of my artist husbands oil paintings, Not a mural.

posted Hide Post
What a cozy porch! With the coastal accessories and wicker furniture, the porch has a very "beach cottage" furniture. I really like the lime green cushions.

Cyndi

Posts: 4086 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post