Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  An interest in pinterest?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interest in pinterest? Sign In/Join 
Picture of wallis104
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty *****e:
Count me in also!

House is dirty & we are starving. But I have many cool pictures saved on Pinterest!

Patty *****e - did I miss your pinterest "link"?

Posts: 3098 | Location: Beautiful Chesapeake Bay, Md. | Registered: Dec 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I should say time flies when I am scrolling down page to page in Pinterest. Many more interesting and creative pins are shared. I love it very much!

Posts: 7 | Location: Boston | Registered: Feb 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I am spending much more time than usual over there just because of this thread!!! I used to have a very large bulletin board upstairs where I had to dig through the layers of notes & pictures to find anything...Problem solved with Pinterest.

Since you all are in an educating mood - what I need there is a notebook folder. I wish I could pin notes to myself when I see an idea that I don't want to pin, but one that sends me off on my own thoughts to develop later. Does that exist & I haven't discovered it?

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7488 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
KG.
I am getting used to Evernote, that way I can save images and notes. I am just learning so do not know too much about it yet, just reading the tutorials.

Then, on Pinterest, make yourself all the private boards they let you, I think the number is up to 4 or 5 now. Make different categories, one that you KNOW you want to make, then others for ideas. Where the description under it is, take out the text other than information about site,etc. Then you can write your own note there, I make notes to myself on the private ones I save for my crafts and my house.

Good luck!

Posts: 9699 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth you are so smart! I made another private board, pinned the picture which made me think of the idea, and replaced the description with my own notation. I already have several pinned "in secret". I am a crafter and sometimes I actually have great adaptation ideas IMHO LOL.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7488 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
One more organizing tip I use. This works for my PC at my desk. When I do not have time to view a board, usually happen when I do not have the time to view BUT that is when I stumble onto LUSH photos! So, I made a folder in my favorites area on my Firefox browser. The folder is called 'Pinterest to view'. I can bookmark the link in that folder to view later. then when I take a break at the computer, I go to that folder in my favorites bookmark area, and pick a Pinterest board or link to a new pinned I found.

I try not to let Pinterest rule how long I am going to pin, with organizing for quick saving of links and blogs I discover, I can start and stop and do some of that multi-tasking I have missed in the past few years! Written on my Kindle, so please forgive my errors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9699 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallis104
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty *****e:
Count me in also!

House is dirty & we are starving. But I have many cool pictures saved on Pinterest!

Did I miss Patty's link to her Pinterest pages?

ty - janice

Posts: 3098 | Location: Beautiful Chesapeake Bay, Md. | Registered: Dec 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
wallis,
No I just looked at the whole thread and didn't see where PL left a link, to her photos, yes, but not a direct Pinterest link listed.
Maybe she will when she returns to this great thread that Wendek started.

posted Hide Post
I use Pinterest to save photos of ideas that I like. I have an idea board for my kitchen project and shore house. One of the things I like, is if you pin from certain retail websites, if the item pinned goes on sale, Pinterest will send you an alert. I would recommend using it for any project or event.

Posts: 4046 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PS - Mary Ruth has wonderful Pinterest boards on a variety of decorating subjects. I've found great inspiration pics on her boards.

Posts: 4046 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stripestars
posted Hide Post
You've opened Pan-dora's box. Good luck closing it. Welcome to Pinterest, you've just lost so many hours of your life. Smile

Edit: Pan-dora (without hyphen) seems to get sensored for some reason.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stripestars,

A colorful room means a colorful soul

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
stripestars,
Oh yes, this thread has taken on a life of its own!

I finally found a 'group board' that was not full of spam nor lousy posters... so I am happy, I can see MORE for less work!

When you define your 'likes' and pin on boards, Pinterest emails end up finding more and more things you like. I get notifications and they send me 'Pins & boards you might like' and I am happy with the ones I check out!

I might have mentioned this before but I have read that at 100.000 pins, it reaches the limit and you have to start a new membership. I don't know for sure, but I am at 20,000 something... and so I have a ways to go before getting to that level. Also by then, they may UP the amount we can save.

HOW FUN! Smile

Thanks oldhouseluvr! I try and pick ONLY what I like for myself... and am so happy to see when someone else likes those pins too! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I wanted to revive or Bump this topic, Pinterest NOW has UNLIMITED private boards!

I have a few I share with friends and we are the only 2 or 4 or how many we invite... and no one else can see these saved Pins! They don't even show up on the Pin feed to your followers!
UNLIMITED! That means you can have as many boards as you want!

As mentioned by KG in CA on this thread "pin the picture, and replace text to say what idea you saved the pin for.. for later reference to yourself'...
takes up NO storage space on your computer AND can be accessed with your Android or phone (you go on the internet with)!

IF anyone wants to ADD their Pinterest link for us to see, please post it for us! Thank you!

Having fun on Pinterest!

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10421 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10421 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Party *****e!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Pinterest is definitely addicting. I get on it at least once a day. One of my nieces has 32,000 pins!

http://www.pinterest.com/zone9alady

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7374 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wow Mary Ruth, I just checked out your boards....Love the major Designer boards! My sister is redecorating her living room in the coastal theme...I have to refer her to a few of your boards.

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7374 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comments!
Sure refer away... Pinterest is FREE and so much FUN!

I have all your links and will double check to make sure I have seen all of your boards!

posted Hide Post
Ah, so this explains the email I got today that Patty *****e is following me Wink I have had NO time on Pinterest lately, as well as little time on this board. My job is very cyclical, so sometimes there is downtime (pinterest time) and sometimes it is crazy. It is in crazy mode right now...I do sometimes check this board in the evenings when it is crazy, but haven't checked Pinterest lately...I'll get back to it at some point and check out the changes.

Posts: 4074 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
ALWAYS glad to see you when you DO get time to visit with the board here!

Pinterest requires no responses so we can sneak up on you anytime! LOL Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitalynn:
Ah, so this explains the email I got today that Patty *****e is following me

I received one of those emails too. I think I am am following everyone here who posted their link except for Zone9lady. I will remedy that immediately. Smile

Posts: 3309 | Registered: Jul 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
what if it "goes out of business" and we lose all those wonderful boards we've created?
What a horrible thot!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Patty, unlike Houzz, you can copy and paste any photo or idea to your own file in your computer. Wink

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
It is a good platform to share oil paintings pictures

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Sorry Wallis, seems I hijacked your thread! eh well at least us Pinterest enthusiasts took over! Hope your Pinterest experience has been enhanced!

oilpaintingcrazylover,
Not sure IF your post is spam or not, but most Pinterest pinners are trying to avoid SPAM unless you are upfront about your business on your boards.... NONE of us like to find a photo only to have it lead to SPAM. I know Etsy photos are all over Pinterest, and they admit to being from Etsy, so one can click on the photo and follow it to an Etsy store... mostly though, those sell fast so you get to the message 'no longer available' or 'this item has been sold'. But Etsy dealers sometimes have the message that they can 'customize' pieces for you... so we all learn and benefit.