HGTV Message Boards
Do you decorate your bedroom for the holidays

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1634079532/m/3093976467

Nov 09, 2012, 09:16 AM
gmvj
Do you decorate your bedroom for the holidays
I put holiday bedding on my bed, even putting on a green bedskirt, but do not change my curtains.
I also put a tree in there with sewing ornaments on it.

Do you change your curtains?

I have an old house (1900) and it has no hall to speak of and you can see the bedroom from the dining room and kitchen and this is the main reason that I do decorate it.

Wanda
Nov 09, 2012, 10:09 AM
Linderhof
Wanda -- it sounds lovely. Our bedrooms are upstairs and if I do anything at all, it's a poinsettia on the end table in the sunroom which is connected to our bedroom.

But the last few years, my decorations have been toned down A LOT!!! The tree, greens and a few poinsettias even downstairs. I think it's less stressful!

Martha

View my blog:
http://www.lflinderhof.com
Nov 09, 2012, 10:46 AM
Graciepj
I change out my bedding for winter and I usually have a holiday type item in every room of the house. It might be as simple as a battery-operated candle, a wreath, a poinsettia, a pillow, or some combination.

A few years ago, I did a whole display of Dept. 56 houses in my bedroom. I knew it would take me a long time after Christmas to get the display disassembled and stored, so I purposely did it away from my public rooms. I put the lights on a timer and it was actually sort of romantic to see the lights in the village go out each night.
Nov 09, 2012, 10:56 AM
victoriangirl
At one time, I put up 7 trees and a large one went into my bedroom too. I've cut down to 3 now and none in my bedroom. I do add a few little Christmas things on my bureaus.

****Look at objects not only for what they are, but for what they could be, vg****
Nov 09, 2012, 11:13 AM
SusanBradfordKent
Every other year our family comes to the states and I decorate the each guest room with a lighted garland on the bureau and a small tree in the corner. I want them to feel special since they have traveled so far to celebrate with us. This year they will not be here but I will put a tabletop tree in our bedroom. With the dark mornings and evenings, the tiny lights make the room seem cheery.
Nov 09, 2012, 11:48 AM
lady of shallot
My DD did this when her children were little. The girl had a white tree with pink lights. The boy had a fake cactus with lights also.

Like Linderhof we don't decorate like we used to. At the most for all rooms though I would have candle lights in the window. We don't even have a tree anymore. With no one here to celebrate the holidays with us (We go away) it seems pointless. Maybe though this year I will do something I have always wanted to do. That is to have a balsam tree in the room where we eat, and to have it completely undecorated, to have it be simply for the sweet, sweet balsam smell.
Nov 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
aychihuahua
Add my voice to the "toned down decoration" chorus.

I never have decorated my bedroom for the holidays (not even as a kid), but the idea has always appealed to me. Just that I didn't have the time (or the will) to do it.

The Nov-Dec issue of Traditional Home shows a lovely country home dressed to the nines for the holidays. Even the master bedroom, with just a small live tree decorated simply with handmade paper ornaments. Very tasteful. I am content to look at pretty rooms rather than try to replicate them.
Nov 09, 2012, 12:34 PM
cocok
The only thing I do in my bedroom for Christmas is plug in a small lighted ceramic gingerbread house that I like to set on my night stand. I have had it for years and years and it somehow helps me to feel peaceful at Christmas time.

Then in the kids rooms, if they are coming home for Christmas, I put on their Christmas pillow cases that I made them when they were little. I have had to make more for wives and grandchildren over the years, but it is kind of fun to fall asleep on a snowman or santa printed pillowcase.

Another thing that is kind of fun is that we like to put on our PJ's and all go get our pillows with their Christmas pillowcases, and snuggle up on the floor and watch Christmas shows on TV.

So as far as bedrooms go, not much decorating happens in my house.
Nov 09, 2012, 02:12 PM
joyluck
I used to have a 2' Victorian style prelit/decorated tree from Costco I used in my bedroom. Very pretty but now long gone.

I have flannel sheets with a winter/somewhat Christmas motif of pine boughs I sometimes use in December and January. I've never changed my curtains for the holiday but do change them a few times a year and it may be time soon. I have one set that has a dark green background that would be nice for winter.

The most I'll do this year is a silver tray with a candle and some faux cedar boughs for my side table or dresser. I like to do a little decor in almost every room altho like some others have really decreased the amount of decorating I do. At some point it made no sense to spend a week putting it all up and the same time taking it all down!

I'm not even putting up a large tree this year, only a 4' one on a sideboard. Between cats and young Grandchildren it's easier to limit decor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/
Nov 09, 2012, 05:02 PM
gmvj
graciepj, I have 2 friends who put up their Dept 56 houses and they leave them up until March. I don't know the reasoning for that month but it is a way to enjoy them and then put them away when the time is not so hectic.

You just gave me an idea, I was looking for a place to put my Boyds Bears village that I always put on the living room mantle and now we have a TV above the mantle so that space in limited, I think that I will put it in my bedroom on top of an antique pie safe.

Wanda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gmvj,
Nov 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Graciepj
quote:
Originally posted by gmvj:
graciepj, I have 2 friends who put up their Dept 56 houses and they leave them up until March. I don't know the reasoning for that month but it is a way to enjoy them and then put them away when the time is not so hectic.

You just gave me an idea, I was looking for a place to put my Boyds Bears village that I always put on the living room mantle and now we have a TV above the mantle so that space in limited, I think that I will put it in my bedroom on top of an antique pie safe.

Wanda

I think mine stayed up until Valentine's Day that year. There was no special reason why except that's when I finally felt like dealing with it. I've said before that if I ever build a house, I want an easily accessible place for Christmas decorations, a place where I don't have to climb a ladder or carry big containers up and down stairs.

I'll bet your Boyd's Bears village would look terrific in the bedroom.
Nov 10, 2012, 02:54 PM
sms29s66
Since my hobby is cross stitching Christmas items, I decorate all the walls in my house with framed work. My guest room has Christmas bedding. I also have a king size set for my room which I no longer use since I now have a queen bed. I am thinking of trying put the bedskirt on my queen and fold a pleat either in the center or the far side and then use the comforter as a bedspread this year. Do you think that will work?
Nov 10, 2012, 02:55 PM
Graciepj
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
I am thinking of trying put the bedskirt on my queen and fold a pleat either in the center or the far side and then use the comforter as a bedspread this year. Do you think that will work?

I have my bed up on risers so I layer a king bedskirt under a queen bedskirt to get the length I need. I do exactly what you suggested. I make a pleat in the center of the box spring lengthwise. I secured mine with binder clips because I was afraid that pins would tear the fabric. It's worked just fine for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,
Nov 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
sjf
we do..several years ago, bought a faux fireplace...we do 2 stockings, a tiny tree from ornaments...
Nov 13, 2012, 06:57 AM
Linderhof
When our dd was small we did an "Advent Tree" in her room -- a small faux tree and we got 24 ornamets for it and each night from the first on she would put an ornament on and when they were all one, it was Christmas Eve. We'd leave the tree turned on as a "night light" when she went to bed (I'd turn it off when I went to bed). The tree and ornaments are put away now --

Martha

View my blog:
http://www.lflinderhof.com
Nov 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Froo Froo
I typically don't decorate the bedrooms for Christmas with the exception of minor touches to evoke the holiday if I expect overnight guests in their room and possibly their bathroom. Here is a lovely understated example I found on a search...

x

Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Froo Froo
More examples of seasonal bedding and minor Christmas decor found here...
http://www.home-designing.com/...ations-for-christmas

If you exercise patience, it will be worth your while viewing this slide show depicting Christmas lights and in some cases, trimmings in bedrooms. Some are very gorgeous and worth the trouble of skipping the tons of ads that pop up. Enjoy!
http://www.examiner.com/slides...ights#slide=40374521
Nov 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
Annon
I used to go all out for Christmas, but in the last few years I've really toned it down. Guess what? It's great!!

I put a Christmas quilt on every bed, hang a few other Christmas quilts, put out some pillows and a nativity. A large tree stands in the upstairs balcony where it can be seen from the street, and I have small trees for each bedroom already decorated and stored in the closets. I get out my Christmas dishes and a few other items, decorate the mantle, and I'm done. One day to decorate, that's it. It used to take the entire Thanksgiving weekend.

This is one of the bedrooms.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Annon,

Nov 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Graciepj
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
More examples of seasonal bedding and minor Christmas decor found here...
http://www.home-designing.com/...ations-for-christmas

If you exercise patience, it will be worth your while viewing this slide show depicting Christmas lights and in some cases, trimmings in bedrooms. Some are very gorgeous and worth the trouble of skipping the tons of ads that pop up. Enjoy!
http://www.examiner.com/slides...ights#slide=40374521

Lovely slideshow, Froo Froo. Some of those ideas would be even better now with cool LED lights rather than hot incandescent lights.
Nov 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Lori 79
I don't do much in my master bedroom. When we built our house our kids were 2 and 7 I put trees in their rooms. It has become a tradition. My daughter'S tree has purple lights with turquoise and Blingy ornaments. My son's has John Deere lights and ornaments.
Nov 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
WallCakes
I don't anymore, but when I was younger, I used to take the clippings from the Christmas tree, put them in a vase and use those tiny Christmas balls to decorate them.

I loved the smell from the clippings and it added a little holiday cheer to the bedroom.
Nov 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
CJO
I did the last couple years with a small lighted pine cone tree on top of the armoire. Has red bows on it and red birds. I added some faux red & gold presents on the rest of the armoire top.
May 29, 2013, 03:37 AM
mariagarcia495
I usually just find Christmas themed wall decals to put up around the house. I usually stay away from seasonally decorating my bedrooms, would end up accumulating way too much misc. decor over the years!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mariagarcia495,